Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 09:23 AM

426 posts, read 160,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I would say upstate NY is about 50/ 50, red and blue, with the blue part being in the higher taxed, higher crime, and fewer freedoms of the cities, and the red parts are mostly suburbs, extending outward, and more freedom.

I don't even understand the whole "I don't want to live in a red state" thing, or the "take away my rights" thing
You don’t understand that red states are taking away my right to abortion? That they are aiming for same-sex marriage next? (And don’t tell me I’m hysterical here, not with this Supreme Court).

Plus, think of trans people, do you think that what red states have been passing extend “freedom”. No, they take it away. In many red states, trans children are now being denied any care and in TX their parents are being prosecuted. And the right’s rhetoric is taking aim at adult trans people as well. It was always their goal.

The right has absolutely no problem going big government and anti-freedom when something disagrees with their values. You may agree with their values, but you can not deny they are taking away freedoms, whether or not you think those freedoms should be guaranteed. We are being infringed on. And I’m sick and tired of it. I have spent my whole life in my anti-freedom state and I’m ready to go somewhere that ensures human rights. It is so crucial with the state of the SCOTUS.

I don’t want to start an argument here, I’m just trying to show you what I mean when I say “rights”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2022, 12:27 PM

5,731 posts, read 4,114,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwindsRock View Post
You don’t understand that red states are taking away my right to abortion? That they are aiming for same-sex marriage next? (And don’t tell me I’m hysterical here, not with this Supreme Court).

Plus, think of trans people, do you think that what red states have been passing extend “freedom”. No, they take it away. In many red states, trans children are now being denied any care and in TX their parents are being prosecuted. And the right’s rhetoric is taking aim at adult trans people as well. It was always their goal.

The right has absolutely no problem going big government and anti-freedom when something disagrees with their values. You may agree with their values, but you can not deny they are taking away freedoms, whether or not you think those freedoms should be guaranteed. We are being infringed on. And I’m sick and tired of it. I have spent my whole life in my anti-freedom state and I’m ready to go somewhere that ensures human rights. It is so crucial with the state of the SCOTUS.

I don’t want to start an argument here, I’m just trying to show you what I mean when I say “rights”.
Well, NY is deeply blue, so no worries there. I've not seen or heard of the incidents you mention in Texas. Not saying it doesn't happen, but with 240 million people in this country lots of stuff happens that we never hear about.

Anyway, in Rochester we all get along, despite having different points of view..........except for the 31 people who killed 31 other people in the city so far this year.

Old 06-16-2022, 01:06 PM

93,559 posts, read 124,263,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I would say the “blue” parts include some suburbs and more culturally diverse/college smaller cities and towns as well. You can find “red” in more working class suburbs/rural towns/even to a lesser degree city neighborhoods in the same areas. So, it isn’t this simplistic and people tend to have leanings or are more moderate.

A city like Utica is actually quite diverse, but has a strong Italian American presence. So, it can have a mix of “liberal” and more “conservative” Democrats.

A town like DeWitt just east of Syracuse has Democratic reps at Supervisor, County Legislature, etc. and is known generally as having some of the most affluent neighborhoods in Upstate NY. It is known for having substantial Jewish, Middle Eastern, Asian and middle class black populations. Towns like Brighton(Rochester area), Amherst(Buffalo area), Niskayuna(next to Schenectady/in Albany area) and to a similar degree, Vestal(Binghamton area) and New Hartford(Utica area) are in a similar vein.

Also, “freedoms” is a loaded term(like the others in quotes), as it varies by person and in terms of degree/topic. So, a concern one may have isn’t necessarily a concern someone else has.
Some other towns that would likely fit are Irondequoit and Henrietta(Rochester area), Colonie and Guilderland(Albany area), Clay(Syracuse area) and a sleeper might be a village like Kenmore just north of Buffalo(a dense, walkable community of about 15,000). A couple of these towns aren't growing, but still have good sized populations and the things you are looking for in a town, with close proximity to the main city.

Old 06-16-2022, 04:08 PM

1,213 posts, read 569,123 times
Quote:

You are paranoid. No disrespect.
Despite what you see or hear, there won’t be any walking back on gay marriage, abortion or whatever.
It’s just not gonna happen. They may tighten the reigns on abortion regulations but stop believing the fear mongering cry babies. Abortion ain’t going nowhere. It would be political suicide.
Also, the tide is changing in NY. It may not be solidly blue in the near future. And btw, that is mostly due to NYC metro area population which outnumbers the rest of the state. I’ll believe it when it happens but the predictions are that NY will experience a flip from blue to red, possibly even at the Governor level. It won’t be the big red wave here but political pundits are claiming there will be many blue upsets come November.

Old 06-16-2022, 04:37 PM

426 posts, read 160,915 times
You mean, the leaked draft where Roe vs Wade is being struck down by a Supreme Court that was stacked to do this very thing is just "fear mongering cry babies"? And the law that my own state put out that bans abortion from conception is just "fear mongering cry babies"?

"Oh calm down. You're hysterical. It won't be that bad." Is what I've been told at every single step of this debacle (since the 2016 election). Yet it has gotten progressively worse just as projected. And yet at this worst-case scenario step where Roe vs Wade is about to be strucken down I'm still being told "calm down". Please.

Stop. The only information that is relevant to my topic is your last paragraph.

Old 06-16-2022, 04:49 PM

This is actually from a scenic lakeside town east of Syracuse with a small private college and has a relatively upscale, New England small town feel to it: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/ce...de-parade-2022

So, this is an example of how some of what you are looking for may be a matter of the town and may be underestimated by some.

Old 06-16-2022, 05:35 PM

5,731 posts, read 4,114,226 times
Quote:
You mean, the leaked draft where Roe vs Wade is being struck down by a Supreme Court that was stacked to do this very thing is just "fear mongering cry babies"? And the law that my own state put out that bans abortion from conception is just "fear mongering cry babies"?

"Oh calm down. You're hysterical. It won't be that bad." Is what I've been told at every single step of this debacle (since the 2016 election). Yet it has gotten progressively worse just as projected. And yet at this worst-case scenario step where Roe vs Wade is about to be strucken down I'm still being told "calm down". Please.

Stop. The only information that is relevant to my topic is your last paragraph.
Not sure if you understand, but it wasn't the federal governments jurisdiction. "Federal governments powers are few and well defined and restricted to mostly external affairs. Those left with the people of the states are indefinite and numerous." From the Federalist Papers 45-48.

In other words, the decision is passed to the states, where it rightfully should have been all along. So NYS has already proclaimed to keep it legal and even profit from it.

Old 06-16-2022, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Not sure if you understand, but it wasn't the federal governments jurisdiction. "Federal governments powers are few and well defined and restricted to mostly external affairs. Those left with the people of the states are indefinite and numerous." From the Federalist Papers 45-48.

In other words, the decision is passed to the states, where it rightfully should have been all along. So NYS has already proclaimed to keep it legal and even profit from it.
This is due to other states banning it. The irony with Roe v. Wade is that Republican judges made the case for it in 1973, as 5 of the 7 judges were and only 1 dissented(1 of the 2 Democrat judges did). That's the last I'm going to talk about this though, as it is getting further away from the topic.

OP, here is a concert band in Irondequoit outside of Rochester: Irondequoit Concert Band

Old 06-18-2022, 01:06 PM

This is the Camillus Community Band, which is located in a suburban town west of Syracuse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYFed6We2Fg

Old 06-19-2022, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I was halfway joking and serious. Many of the outer suburbs and rural areas can be very very white, and many people there are often uncomfortable being around people of color, sometimes fearful, and in many cases whatever the reason avoid people unlike themselves. North Tonawanda in particular has a reputation as such. I recall attending Canalfest and only seeing literally 5 black people among thousands of attendees, while 4 miles away in Buffalo it’s rare to ever not see a mixed crowd.

Not saying the place is racist, but there is some serious ignorance among many people in places like this, borne of always being in an area of 90-95 percent white only.
This may be a good example of why there are low numbers, along with the historical information given in other posts, as they offer some context: https://www.wivb.com/news/local-news...nth-this-year/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York