Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 01:31 PM

15,868 posts, read 14,499,255 times

Advertisements

I would allow them to saw they don't want to allow people carrying guns on their property. If they find someone is, they can have them trespassed as would be the case with anyone they didn't want on their property. However, I would not put any legal penalty on someone who came onto such a property with a concealed gun and were found out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
You don't think private businesses should be able to prevent carry of firearms on their premises? Are you saying that your right to carry a firearm over rides someone elses property rights? I support carry of firearms, but I also support the right of property owners to control what happens on their property.

Old 06-24-2022, 02:22 PM

15,468 posts, read 7,516,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I would allow them to saw they don't want to allow people carrying guns on their property. If they find someone is, they can have them trespassed as would be the case with anyone they didn't want on their property. However, I would not put any legal penalty on someone who came onto such a property with a concealed gun and were found out.
The Texas law requires a specific sign be displayed. If that is present, then anyone who carries on those premises is subject to arrest for criminal trespass, since they had effective notice that carrying a firearm is not allowed.

I do not know how New York law works for that sort of situation, but it's something that may have to be considered by the NY legislature. The first step, though, is to wait and see how NY changes the regulations around issuing permits.

Old 06-24-2022, 03:14 PM

NY has so few legal concealed carriers that I've never heard of it being an issue. There may be a law on the books, but I've never heard of it.

Quote:
The Texas law requires a specific sign be displayed. If that is present, then anyone who carries on those premises is subject to arrest for criminal trespass, since they had effective notice that carrying a firearm is not allowed.

I do not know how New York law works for that sort of situation, but it's something that may have to be considered by the NY legislature. The first step, though, is to wait and see how NY changes the regulations around issuing permits.

Old 06-24-2022, 03:18 PM

2,632 posts, read 1,229,484 times
I'm scared

Old 06-25-2022, 10:45 AM

That law abiding citizens, who can pass a background check, can carry guns. You have a lot worse things to be scared of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
I'm scared

Old 06-25-2022, 01:17 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,331,603 times
Quote:
You don't think private businesses should be able to prevent carry of firearms on their premises? Are you saying that your right to carry a firearm over rides someone elses property rights? I support carry of firearms, but I also support the right of property owners to control what happens on their property.

So do you support the business having the right to discriminate against people entering the premises based on their color, religion, ethnic origin, or sexual orientation?

Do you object to the many health and safety regulations that a business must pay heed to?

What about your property rights then? It's not your home, you have decided to open to the public for business and have accepted that you cannot tell gay people to get out. That is violating their rights. Why can you violate their right to defend themselves.

You might argue that licensed and vetted gun carriers might scare you. It wasn't too long along when a shop owner in some states would argue that a person of color would scare their other patrons.

The property rights mantra is just cover for opposition to gun rights. The folks who justly argued for antidiscrimination laws tossed the property rights issues in the trash. Now the same folks because of their political bent uses that discarded argument to deny another right - that of self-defense.

What hypocrisy.

BTW, in the shall issue states, the licensed carriers have had crime rates an order of magnitude lowered than the general population and even the police. The safety issue is bogus.

Old 06-25-2022, 02:22 PM

2,983 posts, read 1,168,953 times
There was never gun control in New York like I posted before I learn that from a old man in a basement under a Bodega!!

Old 06-25-2022, 02:40 PM

15,468 posts, read 7,516,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
So do you support the business having the right to discriminate against people entering the premises based on their color, religion, ethnic origin, or sexual orientation?

Do you object to the many health and safety regulations that a business must pay heed to?

What about your property rights then? It's not your home, you have decided to open to the public for business and have accepted that you cannot tell gay people to get out. That is violating their rights. Why can you violate their right to defend themselves.

You might argue that licensed and vetted gun carriers might scare you. It wasn't too long along when a shop owner in some states would argue that a person of color would scare their other patrons.

The property rights mantra is just cover for opposition to gun rights. The folks who justly argued for antidiscrimination laws tossed the property rights issues in the trash. Now the same folks because of their political bent uses that discarded argument to deny another right - that of self-defense.

What hypocrisy.

BTW, in the shall issue states, the licensed carriers have had crime rates an order of magnitude lowered than the general population and even the police. The safety issue is bogus.
I support property rights.

The discrimination you mention is illegal under various statutes. Until such time as carrying a firearm becomes a protected class, then property rights prevail. Even Texas, not exactly known for being liberal, included a provision in the CHL law on how businesses can prohibit carry of handguns on their property. That is as it should be.

I am well aware of the low rate of crime among CHL holders. I had one myself for some time.

Old 06-25-2022, 02:51 PM

19,060 posts, read 13,985,530 times
Well off topic now.
Take it to P&OC.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York