Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 08:17 AM

5,705 posts, read 4,095,453 times

Advertisements

From AAA, the Golden Snowball contest last year.

Buffalo 133.6"
Syracuse 65.6"
Binghamton 61.5"
Albany 55.0"
Rochester 50.4"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2023, 09:18 AM

507 posts, read 344,288 times
What do you think about this snowfall map? Does it give an accurate picture of what to expect in different parts of the state? https://nyskiblog.com/directory/weat...-snowfall-map/

Old 12-01-2023, 10:50 AM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsitsipas View Post
What do you think about this snowfall map? Does it give an accurate picture of what to expect in different parts of the state? https://nyskiblog.com/directory/weat...-snowfall-map/
Pretty much, as the Tug Hill Plateau N/NE of Syracuse and west of Lake Ontario, as well as the area west of Lake Erie south of buffalo gets the highest snowfall totals on average due to Lake Effect snow. So, away from those snow bands, the lower the snowfall totals, generally speaking.

Old 12-01-2023, 04:36 PM

I don't know, East aurora, which is essentially is Orchard Park had over 16" and counting the other day.

Old 12-01-2023, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I don't know, East aurora, which is essentially is Orchard Park had over 16" and counting the other day.
It is considered to be in the Southtowns, which is a part of the metro area that gets hit with higher snowfall totals. So, that isn't surprising at all.

Old 12-02-2023, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It is considered to be in the Southtowns, which is a part of the metro area that gets hit with higher snowfall totals. So, that isn't surprising at all.

Just backing up the thread. 16+" is a major snowfall. Meanwhile, my house in Rochester had barely a dusting

Old 12-02-2023, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Just backing up the thread. 16+" is a major snowfall. Meanwhile, my house in Rochester had barely a dusting
To be fair, much of that Buffalo snowfall last year was due to a huge snowstorm, which was unusual even for the area at one time.

Also, average snowfall varies within these metros. For instance, the Oswego County portion of the Syracuse area gets quite a bit more in terms of average snowfall due to being in the heart of the Lake Ontario snow belt. So, the snowfall will varies within these areas too.

This means that while East Aurora got 16 inches, in which much of it may have melted like the snow in the Syracuse area has, the Niagara County portion of the Buffalo area likely got much less. That is due to being in a part of the Buffalo metro that gets lower averages of snowfall.

In terms of the melting aspect, here are Thruway traffic cameras in the Buffalo area, that are south of the city: https://www.thruway.ny.gov/travelers...?region=BUI90W

Cameras north/NE of the city: https://www.thruway.ny.gov/travelers...?region=BUI90B

Old 12-02-2023, 09:05 AM

Quote:
To be fair, much of that Buffalo snowfall last year was due to a huge snowstorm, which was unusual even for the area at one time.

Also, average snowfall varies within these metros. For instance, the Oswego County portion of the Syracuse area gets quite a bit more in terms of average snowfall due to being in the heart of the Lake Ontario snow belt. So, the snowfall will varies within these areas too.

This means that while East Aurora got 16 inches, in which much of it may have melted like the snow in the Syracuse area has, the Niagara County portion of the Buffalo area likely got much less. That is due to being in a part of the Buffalo metro that gets lower averages of snowfall.

In terms of the melting aspect, here are Thruway traffic cameras in the Buffalo area, that are south of the city: https://www.thruway.ny.gov/travelers...?region=BUI90W

Cameras north/NE of the city: https://www.thruway.ny.gov/travelers...?region=BUI90B
I know in Rochester, the official record is at the airport. I would imagine others have one main point for recording data as well.

As for calling Buffalo's snow storm unusual, didn't the same thing happen last year as well? Unusual means once every hundred years. Buffalo has a large storm at least every ten years, and with global warming, and Lake Erie not freezing, more should be expected.

Old 12-02-2023, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I know in Rochester, the official record is at the airport. I would imagine others have one main point for recording data as well.

As for calling Buffalo's snow storm unusual, didn't the same thing happen last year as well? Unusual means once every hundred years. Buffalo has a large storm at least every ten years, and with global warming, and Lake Erie not freezing, more should be expected.
I was referring to last year. The amount that accumulated in a short amount of time was unusual even for the area. https://www.wgrz.com/article/weather...t%20that%20day

So, a 5 day period consisted of about 40% of the snowfall total and essentially half of the total accumulated in December.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-02-2023 at 10:49 AM..

Old 12-02-2023, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I was referring to last year. The amount that accumulated in a short amount of time was unusual even for the area. https://www.wgrz.com/article/weather...t%20that%20day

So, a 5 day period consisted of about 40% of the snowfall total and essentially half of the total accumulated in December.
There was another large storm, either last year or the year before, too. Thirty people died in one of them. You try to make it like it's no big thing. A foot of snow can criple a city. Six feet is a disaster, and it's not that uncommon in western NY. Of course some people love the snow for skiing and snowmobiling too. I have a couple different friends that have built places in the north country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York