Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2007, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 22,261 times

Advertisements

Currently living in Rockland county (Nyack School system) & we are trying to figure out if we want to relocate (3 very small kids). Cost of living and weather are the main reasons. We're finding this anaylsis to be difficult though. Georgia (Alpharetta) is one possibility, but we're not sure if it would be culture shock moving that far south. We want a safe (warm : ) area to raise our kids. Good school system is imperative.
2 Questions:
1) Is it hard to move south? Will we miss bagels, pizza & the millions of great restaurants in this area? The communities seem more family oriented down there, but is that the only trade-off?
2) Are the Nyack schools (the middle school inparticular) as bad as I keep hearing they are? Our first child will be entering Kindergarten next year & I haven't heard great things about the schools since I've moved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 10:28 AM

46 posts, read 214,898 times
Default Nyack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee19 View Post
Currently living in Rockland county (Nyack School system) & we are trying to figure out if we want to relocate (3 very small kids). Cost of living and weather are the main reasons. We're finding this anaylsis to be difficult though. Georgia (Alpharetta) is one possibility, but we're not sure if it would be culture shock moving that far south. We want a safe (warm : ) area to raise our kids. Good school system is imperative.
2 Questions:
1) Is it hard to move south? Will we miss bagels, pizza & the millions of great restaurants in this area? The communities seem more family oriented down there, but is that the only trade-off?
2) Are the Nyack schools (the middle school inparticular) as bad as I keep hearing they are? Our first child will be entering Kindergarten next year & I haven't heard great things about the schools since I've moved.
Have to tell you that I moved from the Rockland area about 25 years ago but grew up in Valley Cottage and attended Nyack schools. Nyack schools always had a very good reputation...perhaps not as good as Clarkstown...but not bad. If that were the case now, I would be surprised. I always like that Nyack schools were integrated unlike the public schools where I live now in Bucks County, PA.

My parents still live in the area and Rockland is not what it once was. I believe that the housing prices are ridiculous but when you speak of Georgia...whew...talk about culture shock. You should look at North or South Carolina areas...affordable but enough NE people there to feel comfortable. Georgia, in my opinion, is a bit slow....and hot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York