Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 10:31 PM

363 posts, read 2,019,382 times

Advertisements

I know this is pathetic. Please be generous, snow in very foriegn to me. I was reading some of your posts on amounts of snowfall. I was trying to comprehend waking up to 1-3 inches of snowfall. I picture a fairyland... a "winter wonderland" if you will. I am internalizing this in a seriously romanticized way... and then one of my kids says, "How do you get your car out?". Then another says, "People still have to go to work?" Reality struck me. How DO you get your car out? If it's in the garage, or otherwise? Or, what if you live a bit more in the country? Or, what if my hsband is working 'til the wee hours of the morning? How would he get it out of the parking lot and especially back into our drive? Does any of this make sense or is it silly? Thanks a bundle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2006, 01:05 AM

Oh! Shoot... was that feet? Oh my gosh.. I'm so embarrassed... I don't even know what to unit is used for measuring snowfall there or.... or... it's all "Greek" to me. Please someone help.

Old 06-02-2006, 05:23 AM

105 posts, read 622,162 times
1-3 inches you drive on. 1-3 feet you get up early and start shoveling or snowblowing. Or hire someone with a snowplow to plow your driveway. There are usually neighborhood kids you can find to shovel for cash. You will get to encounter every shovelers foe..the city/town/state snowplow, these always seem to come by just when you have finished shoveling your driveway and they fill it back in again. Kids love snowdays... Days school is closed because of snow. There are also some days that the start of school will be delayed for an hour or two to allow time for the roads to clear up.
It can be very beautiful, I always liked to see the snow falling at night around the streetlights. Snowfalls are different, some light and fluffy-bad for snowballs and snowmen, but easy to shovel. Some snow is wet and heavy hard to shovel, but great packing for snowballs and snowmen.

#1 rule is.... Don't eat yellow snow!!

Old 06-02-2006, 09:10 AM

Thank you for your response. How much has to fall before you cannot drive on it? That's very funny about the snowplow. I'm not totally sure I understand the mechanics involved in "filling it back in". I'll ask my mother, as she lived in Illinois 30 some years ago. (She was originally raised in NJ, but I don't know that when she was a girl (she's 80), they had many snowplows (possibly, I'll have to ask) or snowblowers. Anyway, I understand about schools providing extra time for students, however, mine are taught at home (8 years now), so that doesn't apply presently. My larger questions would be the ones regarding work and my husband. He often works into the morning. Will this present any kind of obstacle of which we are not presently aware? We are so hoping that your beautiful state is in our future. We have some other possibilities, but NY just seems to be calling my name. Anything else anyone could add about snow and ice ie: living in it, playing on it, enjoying it, dangers of it... Nothing would be too basic for us. Please. Thank you.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:37 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Well, it goes without saying, but the ice is more dangerous than the snow. It can get very slippery and is harder to see. "black ice" on the roads causes many accidents because it is basically invisible. When they urge you to stay off the roads, listen. The roads are usually sanded or salted (depending on where you are) as well as plowed.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:00 PM

It's not just driving, Ice is hard to walk on... I count on slipping and falling at least once per winter!! Snowplows are usually out at night during snowfalls, he should be OK, especialy if you live near main roads. Secondary streets get plowed after the main streets. We lived on a cul-de-sac and it took 3 days before they plowed us out in 1994. It was a 44 inch snowfall if I remember correctly so very unusual. A typical snow is 1-3 or 2-4 inches. You will get 10 or 12 of them a year in Binghamton, then maybe a few 6-10 inch storms a year and maybe one big one 12+ inches.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:57 PM

Trust me, on the subject of "winter", nothing goes without saying. I am learning so much from all of you. This website is a fantastic aid for research, and you are all very patient. I've heard the term "black ice" on The Weather Channel, but I never understood what they were talking about, til now. I am relieved to hear that my concerns of my husband's commute at night are not something to worry over. I have another tiny snow question... How often do you (Rochester)- and you (Binghamton)- have a white Christmas? Thanks for humoring me. My family truly appreciates it... I know I post lots of questions... We just have so many! I promise I answer posts on the city forums for which I have some first hand knowledge... I think I'm starting to feel like a pain... I'm going to post another question. Thank you! Bye!

Old 06-02-2006, 05:51 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Rochester usually has about a 60% chance of having a white christmas, but they haven't in the past 3 years . I'm not sure about Bingo.

Old 06-02-2006, 05:58 PM

I would guess 50%, always seems like snow on St Patricks day for the parade to.

As far as the snow goes.... most people just endure it and hope it ends soon.

Old 06-02-2006, 06:05 PM

Thank you both. I can't imagine EVER wanting it to end! I promise, I will never complain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York