Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 01:53 PM

483 posts, read 1,567,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer8
Thanks everyone. Non of that is too frightening... I think I'm gonna like it there!
I was laughing when I read your original post because I am petrified of bugs. I grew up in Queens and were used to seeing mice and roaches, although I would take a mouse any day over roaches. Those things are gross.

I currently live on Long Island and what I had seen in Queens was quite a bit of difference to what Long Island has in terms of bugs. I remember a coworker telling me that if I heard a thump on my patio door, that was probably a june bug flying into it because of the attraction to light that was beaming from inside the house. June bugs supposedly look like big flying roaches (ie., waterbugs). Well, the type of bugs that I've seen living here 10 years now are lots of spiders, crickets, quite a bit of tadpole frogs (which are cute), a rare turtle, deer is common, and what I was told are called 'earwigs'. I've also seen what my husband calls 'thousand leggers'. Lots of mosquitos, and the usual ants, flies, etc. As my husband reminds me all the time.....'you're gonna get bugs no matter where you go'. My point is that you get different types of bugs depending upon where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2006, 11:08 AM

306 posts, read 1,620,421 times
Used to hike, hunt, and camp a lot in Allegany County. Had a bear do the "I'm Bigger Than You Are!" thing--reared up and snorted--and then we both ran. Had a snapping turtle bite down on my boot before I stepped on her eggs--she was laying them on a faint path between ponds and I was so intent on casting I didn't look down to see her in time. Luckily the boots were borrowed so she had clamped down on empty toe-space. She hung on for a good five minutes before she let me go, and it was all my fault to begin with. Saw a timber rattler once--very rare. Had a rabid skunk chase me down the street for a block--in Buffalo, no less. But other than that, probably Lyme Disease from a deer tick bite is biggest risk--and it's very unlikely, and a problem in other Northeastern states too. The deer running out in front of your car, as people have said, is dangerous, but that happens all over the Midwest, East, North, and much of the South anyway. As far as I know, rabies isn't any more prevalent in NY than it is elsewhere. Anyone know for sure? I'd take it all over the alligators of Florida--one of which I just about stepped on (like an idiot). Now THAT was terrifying. The thing must have been six feet long--and did not exactly have eyes full of love!

Old 06-29-2006, 06:42 PM

944 posts, read 3,848,700 times
You can sit down on your lawn. I never knew that was a privilege until I moved to Florida.

Nothing crazy in New York unless you're running through the Adirondacks with a bloody steak strapped to your head.

Old 06-29-2006, 07:10 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Hey, I was drunk and it was a dare OK!

Old 06-29-2006, 07:11 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
lol, Just Kidding of course, I don't even drink.

Old 06-30-2006, 02:10 AM

82 posts, read 542,063 times
On LI, I would be especially wary of Hummers.

Old 07-01-2006, 07:28 PM

363 posts, read 2,020,129 times
O.K. You are all class clowns... (smile) I think everyone has made themselves clear and NY doesn't look too frightening, Thank you all. We can deem this thread complete- right?

Old 07-01-2006, 09:32 PM

954 posts, read 4,378,005 times
Come to the Big Apple
We have Track Rabbits (Rats) the size of a cat.
If you could explore the nocturnal regions of the New York City underground, no telling what or who you would find.

Old 07-02-2006, 09:12 PM

10 posts, read 50,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Hey, I was drunk and it was a dare OK!
OMG!! That was priceless! *lol*

Old 08-15-2006, 11:38 AM

59 posts, read 325,328 times
Racoons in the Albany area, at least... are they elsewhere too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York