Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 09:10 PM

123 posts, read 567,856 times

Advertisements

There two places that my family is considering, Rockland County and Suffolk County. Which County do you like and why? I will be commuting to downtown Manhattan and wife to Midtown. I'm looking for a community are friendly and not conceited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 11:07 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny826 View Post
There two places that my family is considering, Rockland County and Suffolk County. Which County do you like and why? I will be commuting to downtown Manhattan and wife to Midtown. I'm looking for a community are friendly and not conceited.
Personally I live in Suffolk County on the South Shore mostly because my entire immediate family is here. But personally it feels sometimes like I am in a giant cul de sac where you have to drive through New York City just to get upstate or somewhere.

Rockland County seems more like it is on the edge of the suburbs - huge state parks nearby for instance. Definetely less crowded than LI - remember Suffolk shares LI not only with Nassau but Brooklyn and Queens.

Still if you like beaches, small downtowns like Babylon, Huntington and Sayville (yes even in the middle of suburbia), and a slightly warmer winter look into Suffolk.

Because both counties are great - I would do research on the Long Island and Metro North railroads. Check out their schedules at the stations you are thinking of living near. I hope this helps!

Old 10-19-2008, 06:35 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,218,899 times
Cool Lived In Both!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny826 View Post
I have lived in Suffolk and now live in Rockland......and neither is really a bargain......if you prefer the beaches Suffolk is the way to go...Suffolk is better set up for travel NYC...

In Rockland... (1) you can either take a bus over the Tappan Zee Bridge to the train...to Grand Central...(2) or a bus to the Port Authority...on the west side...then the train...(3) A train to a train...to a train...they say you get use to it......

There are several areas in New Jersey that might be better suited for your needs...but when you are shopping...remember...Location...Location... Location......are the first three rules in real estate...I myself would pick Suffolk......

Old 10-20-2008, 01:09 AM

3 posts, read 10,205 times
Long Island is great, so long you dont mind the culture there. Having lived in rockland, commuting is a real pain unless you take on of the private bus companies, such as the Jewish bus service "Monsey Trails". Coach USA and the others only goto the PA on 42nd and 8th, but the private lines goto wall street and/or midtown.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:33 AM

701 posts, read 3,326,165 times
There is a coach USA line that goes from the Spring Valley Marketplace into midtown and downtown. But yes, commuting is probably easier for most people from Long Ialand. That might change with the Tappan Zee upgrade, but realistically, that is at least 10 years away.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
There is a coach USA line that goes from the Spring Valley Marketplace into midtown and downtown. But yes, commuting is probably easier for most people from Long Ialand. That might change with the Tappan Zee upgrade, but realistically, that is at least 10 years away.
I was reading somewhere that the state is studying connecting some railroad stations in Rockland into Westchester all the way to Port Chester by building rails across the new Tappan Zee bridge. But that is a long ways from now.

Too bad there is no ferry service from Rockland to Manhattan - probably cost too much for most people anyway.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:26 PM

701 posts, read 3,326,165 times
There is ferry service from Rockland. 2 options. A 15 minute ferry to Ossining, connect to metro north. Or a 90 minute ferry all the way downtown.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
There is ferry service from Rockland. 2 options. A 15 minute ferry to Ossining, connect to metro north. Or a 90 minute ferry all the way downtown.
Thanks I was not aware it was still in existence. I do know there are several ferries in the NY area that are so expensive (like the one from the Atlantic Highlands) that they priced themselves out of many people's price range. A shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York