Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 06:57 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times

Advertisements

yeah...downstate keeps the New York name...and upstate has some Native American name. I personally prefer Seneca, maybe Niagara.

Of course we are talking about this as if it has a chance of actually happening; which unfortunately is doubtful. Atleast not within any of our lifetimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 12:03 AM

22 posts, read 65,251 times
no, they should stay together because if new york city and downstate go off on their own, upstate will have no one to blame for their problems.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:55 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times
in 1969 Norman Mailer used that in his mayoral campaign - an idea that comes up now and then for entertainment but never any real impetus to do anything.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:16 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoTogepi View Post
Are you for or against this?

I'm hearing it a lot recently.

It would probably look like this:

The two areas of the state are very different. Maybe it'd be for the best.

The big problem...who keeps the name of New York, and what does the other half rename itself?
lol... gotta disagree with that politically charged county coloring though. I worked for a Westchester-based state senator and he had plenty of bible thumpers in his district. and staten island is also known for being very conservative.

I do think the two should split, with NYC retaining the name New York. Upstate should be renamed "New Netherland," its original name. Or maybe Upstate could keep "New York" and NYC would be called "New New York," lol.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:27 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Honestly, though, I'd personally draw the line at Utica. As an Albany native, I know its economy would crash were it no longer a state capital. There are so many government employees there. As a Rochester dweller, however, I know that the economy here would be better without being a part of New York.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:32 PM

469 posts, read 1,640,415 times
I am completely for it, New York City should be known as New York City and the rest New York State. I've been for this and preaching this for over a year, and I'm happy to see it finally coming into place.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:56 PM

417 posts, read 1,891,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever View Post
I am completely for it, New York City should be known as New York City and the rest New York State. I've been for this and preaching this for over a year, and I'm happy to see it finally coming into place.
Coming into place? Where do you see that? This whole discussion is really in the realm of fantasy and the separation of NY into two states is not a reality we'll ever see. Its just a notion for us to kill time online in the data forums with.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:28 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
I would like that. Yes, it's totally different downstate here. It's almost like the culture is different. I went to Suny Cortland for 2 years and felt like I was in another part of the country lol

Old 11-21-2008, 05:54 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
NYS's main business is agriculture, for all you city folk (Yes, I grew up on "da island", left over 40 years ago and never looked back!). The second is tourism. (Skiing is all upstate, most wineries, the Falls, etc. etc.) Snow really is not an issue and summers are lovely. The third is businesses who have seen the light and diversified to upstate.

With the onset of telecommuting, lots of NYC companies have created branches upstate. When you can live at 25%-30% of the cost, why would anyone stay in the congestion Westchester County and south? We have lots of branches of large companies here and many from downstate are perfectly happy -- and, you can buy a new huge home [on acreage] for what you sell the city/LI place for. Or, you can rent a large loft in the city for under $1200.00/month. [JFI: Cost of living for our home for my husband and myself? Just about $4K a year in taxes and utilities; our house is long ago paid off.]

The state ( upstate, that is) has many IDAs (Industrial development areas) and I think a lot of companies would move if NYC/LI left. Plus, you'd be shafted on electric ( lots comes from hydro up here) and water ( your supply is in the upstate area).

Personally, I think you need to leave

Old 11-26-2008, 02:07 AM

190 posts, read 443,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBaillo View Post
im telling you as a person who lived and grew up in CA....it is easier to stay warm in the winter, than it is to stay cool in the summer. complain as you might about the cost of heating during the winter, at least you have alternatives, that can save you money (wood/coal, etc)...the only thing that can cool your house in the heat is central air. I don't even want to discuss what it cost me to keep a 1500 ft2 house in CA in reasonable temps in the 10 months of CA summer (and thats w/ the air off during the day and just running after the family got home). It's way more than what i spend on heat in NY.

Plus I can FUNCTION in cold...if its cold outside...i just put on a good jacket, wear some thermals...shovel some snow, or take a walk/hike....and im toasty and warm. YOu can be naked in 115+ degrees and you cant get past the oppressive heat.

I mean BOOHOO...Cold weather!! I rather be cold for a few months in winter than to be facing WILDFIRES IN NOVEMBER!! WTF? seriously?? in NOVEMBER. at least the seasons change up here, and just at the right time. Theres enough heat and warmth to have me look forward to the snow and cold...and enough snow and cold to be happy to see the warmer weather again.

People just like to complain.
It's different for some people though. I have a tough time in the cold and during the spring/fall allergy seasons because they trigger my asthma (which I can thank Staten Island's air quality for developing!). During the summer, I'm alright until the high humidity hits. It's like somebody throwing a damn hot towel over your face, and I swear it traps more particulate matter in your lungs. I'm tired of struggling to breathe 3/4 of the year.

I'm also of the opinion that oppressively hot is preferable to freezing cold. When it's hot out, there isn't black ice all over the road, waiting for me to wreck my car over it. I'm not one for wearing layers of clothing; I find it restrictive and uncomfortable. I'd rather strip down to a bathing suit in 100 degree heat than wear six layers in a below-zero wind-chill.

The cost of A/C versus heat is pretty much a wash. Heat isn't needed in your home if you bundle up and/or have a fire going. A/C isn't needed if you have fans and drink enough water.

Ironically, California is the ideal climate for me- I can beat the heat and don't even mind it because it's not humid. I have run in the SFV when it's in the 90s and it bothers me less than running around NYC when it's in the high 70s. The Bay Area and Central Coast, in fact, never get as hot as southern California and the Central Valley, so A/C there is overkill. In the southland, wildfires are only a brief seasonal issue, though admittedly a serious one. There are less deciduous trees, so that seasonal tree pollen doesn't kill me, nor do moldy leaves in the fall. It doesn't hurt that I love beaches.

It's more than just wanting sun, beaches and palm trees (though those are nice). Maybe many young people who are thinking of going south/southwest have the same comfort issues that I do. My generation basically has an asthma epidemic going, since we kinda decided that air quality didn't matter until the past few decades, and are now scrambling to improve it.

Last edited by Jaymum; 11-26-2008 at 02:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York