Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 01:32 AM

70 posts, read 211,623 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any good boat parties in the area? I'm looking for wild people having a good time. I know a little about Alex Bay, Picton Island, and Grass Island.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 11:11 AM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I think Lake George has some. Maybe some in the Finger Lakes Region or by other lakes in Upstate as well.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:35 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,490 times
Post Lake Champlain near.........

the bays around Burlington, VT and Plattsburgh, NY and also Valcour Island have some wicked good places that people go to every summer. There are loads of Canadians that store their boats here from Montreal and sail every summer on the lake and believe me, they are out to have a good time. My husband used to bring his binoculars just so he could get a better view when we were out on our little boat (of COURSE he was only trying to get a better view of those expensive Beneteaus). Needless to say there is tons of liquor flowing and nearly clad people.........since French Canadians are let's say less bound by those pesky swimsuits......The last 2 weeks of July (some companies shut down the entire month, but......) almost all Canadian companies close down and the country goes on vacation. I think most of them from Montreal come here to go boating! It can definitely get wild.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plattsburgher View Post
the bays around Burlington, VT and Plattsburgh, NY and also Valcour Island have some wicked good places that people go to every summer. There are loads of Canadians that store their boats here from Montreal and sail every summer on the lake and believe me, they are out to have a good time. My husband used to bring his binoculars just so he could get a better view when we were out on our little boat (of COURSE he was only trying to get a better view of those expensive Beneteaus). Needless to say there is tons of liquor flowing and nearly clad people.........since French Canadians are let's say less bound by those pesky swimsuits......The last 2 weeks of July (some companies shut down the entire month, but......) almost all Canadian companies close down and the country goes on vacation. I think most of them from Montreal come here to go boating! It can definitely get wild.
Thanks...i've heard that Valcour Island is pretty popular. Do you know the name of these bays?

Old 01-15-2009, 05:45 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,490 times
Post Bays..........

If you are in a boat, whenever you gas up (even for a sailboat) keep asking the dock hands at the marina where they recommend as well. I would definitely say the Burlington City Bay and marina is a very cool place because of the fact that you are moored almost in front of downtown and if you can get a space, can walk from your boat to downtown and eat at sushi places, pubs, Leunig's Bistro (great restaurant), Sweetwaters (one of the best singles bars/restaurants, the Shanty (really fresh seafood) and all of the dance places, bars with live music during the summer and then when you are tired out, just go down to your boat for the night............Pburgh has the same thing with their marina but on a smaller scale, however like I said in July, we are mobbed with Canadians in our downtown marina/restaurant. There is a pretty cool waterfront place in Pburgh called the Naked Turtle Holding Company and in the summer they always have live music, food and lots of drinks.......then you just go back out to your boat or party with other boaters.....fun. The bays at Valcour I can try to find out more about.........They were popular hiding bays during prohibition for rum runners from Canada into the US so I remember one of the names of the bays is Smugglers Bay. I will try to find out the rest of the names for you. Some bays are fairly shallow, so you need good charts so that you don't run into any rocks in that area especially if you are in a sailboat with a fairly deep keel. If you are really interested, go ahead and get a chart for the lake.....You will see that there are several marinas between the Canadian border and where Lake Champlain narrow.....down near Westport. If you like history and have time, you can even head down to Ticonderoga and check out the two forts on the bluffs of the lake.....Crown Point and Ticonderoga. Really interesting historical sites with intact forts and cannons and Revolutionary soldier reinactments every summer weekend............cool stuff.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
If you are in a boat, whenever you gas up (even for a sailboat) keep asking the dock hands at the marina where they recommend as well. I would definitely say the Burlington City Bay and marina is a very cool place because of the fact that you are moored almost in front of downtown and if you can get a space, can walk from your boat to downtown and eat at sushi places, pubs, Leunig's Bistro (great restaurant), Sweetwaters (one of the best singles bars/restaurants, the Shanty (really fresh seafood) and all of the dance places, bars with live music during the summer and then when you are tired out, just go down to your boat for the night............Pburgh has the same thing with their marina but on a smaller scale, however like I said in July, we are mobbed with Canadians in our downtown marina/restaurant. There is a pretty cool waterfront place in Pburgh called the Naked Turtle Holding Company and in the summer they always have live music, food and lots of drinks.......then you just go back out to your boat or party with other boaters.....fun. The bays at Valcour I can try to find out more about.........They were popular hiding bays during prohibition for rum runners from Canada into the US so I remember one of the names of the bays is Smugglers Bay. I will try to find out the rest of the names for you. Some bays are fairly shallow, so you need good charts so that you don't run into any rocks in that area especially if you are in a sailboat with a fairly deep keel. If you are really interested, go ahead and get a chart for the lake.....You will see that there are several marinas between the Canadian border and where Lake Champlain narrow.....down near Westport. If you like history and have time, you can even head down to Ticonderoga and check out the two forts on the bluffs of the lake.....Crown Point and Ticonderoga. Really interesting historical sites with intact forts and cannons and Revolutionary soldier reinactments every summer weekend............cool stuff.
Yet again you've been such a big help....all of this sounds like fun.... i'm just looking for fun places that i can drink responsibly and see some craziness

Old 01-17-2009, 07:21 AM

160 posts, read 564,705 times
You might think about the Mayor's Cup regatta in Plattsburgh. Here's a link:
Plattsburgh Sunrise Rotary - District 7040
It's not just sailors; they also have a "parade of lights" for all craft on the Thursday before the Saturday race. Lots of other events, including a "Splash Party." Not sure the exact date this year, but it's usually the second weekend (Thurs-Sat) in July.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:08 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,937 times
Quote:
If you like history and have time, you can even head down to Ticonderoga and check out the two forts on the bluffs of the lake.....Crown Point and Ticonderoga. Really interesting historical sites with intact forts and cannons and Revolutionary soldier reinactments every summer weekend............cool stuff.
I visit friends every year who have waterfront on the north end of Lake George. We've checked out both Crown Point & Ticonderoga - you are right - cool stuff!

They have tied up a few times in the central & south end bays. I guess wild is a relative term - I thought they were pretty wild but my friends tell me I "ain't seen nothin'!"

Not to get off topic, but something I always mean to ask them when I'm there, (and forget to!): Is there a river or creek that connects the southern tip of Champlain to the northern end of Lake George? I always drive past this one point, over a short bridge, where it looks like those two lakes become one narrow strip of water. As you can see, geography was not one of my better subjects.

How are the water patrols around Burlington & P'burgh? They've stepped it up some on Lake George & you have to be careful if you hook up to a bay party.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:43 PM

The information I've found about crown point does make it seem pretty interesting, but i'm looking for an all out party spot

Old 01-22-2009, 12:17 PM

160 posts, read 564,705 times
Default Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
Not to get off topic, but something I always mean to ask them when I'm there, (and forget to!): Is there a river or creek that connects the southern tip of Champlain to the northern end of Lake George? I always drive past this one point, over a short bridge, where it looks like those two lakes become one narrow strip of water. As you can see, geography was not one of my better subjects.
You're referring to the La Chute River, and the historic Falls of Carillon, here: The Falls of Carillon, LaChute River Ticonderoga New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York