Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 07:06 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,549 times

Advertisements

[quote=i'minformed;453498]

New York seeks to clarify West Valley cleanup responsibility
Daily Record (Rochester, NY), Dec 14, 2006 by Daily Record Staff
Attorney General Eliot Spitzer recently announced a suit brought by the state against the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) seeking clarification of the responsibility for cleanup of radioactive waste at a former nuclear fuel reprocessing facility in West Valley, Cattaraugus County.

The Attorney General's Office is joined by the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) on the suit, which could resolve issues that have delayed the project.

"The cleanup of nuclear waste ... must move forward as expeditiously as possible, and we will not tolerate senseless delays and uncertainty related to this important project," Gov. George Pataki said. "Federal law requires the U.S. Department of Energy to decontaminate the site and pay for offsite disposal of the nuclear waste, and we must ensure they fulfill these obligations. ... We are taking the necessary legal steps to force the Department of Energy to complete the cleanup."

Vincent DeIorio, chair of NYSERDA said the DOE's "limited view of its obligations" has interfered "with work that needs to be done."

The site, located about 30 miles south of Buffalo, was once home to the country's only privately-operated commercial nuclear fuel reprocessing facility, which separated reusable uranium and plutonium from spent fuel, most of which came from a federal nuclear reactor in the state of Washington and other defense-related reactors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 08:48 AM

90 posts, read 686,409 times
Widely varied regions and beautiful scenery (Adirondacks, Catskills, Hudson Valley, Champlain Valley, Mohawk Valley, Fingers Lakes, Great Lakes shorelines, Thousand islands. Lots of history all around us from Colonial Times to now.

Easy proximity to many other areas via fast interstate connections (I-90 and I-87) such as NYC, Boston, Canada ..the french culture (Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City), the great seashores in Cape Cod, LI, and NJ.... etc. 2.5 hour Amtrak ride down into Manhattan from Albany-Rensselaer

The great four seasons and all that brings. The beautiful Summers with only a few weeks of really bad heat usually. The "real winters" with deep snow and all sorts of winter recreation. The beautiful Autumns. Leaves are rapidly turning here now.

More affordable living than along the Megalopolis Corridor. The main negative there being our property taxes, but the cost of living is much less than Downstate and home prices much less.

Plenty of small towns and real traditions prevail yet, but also proximity to stereotypical American suburban sprawl and big box stores, chain places etc. if that strikes your fancy on a given day.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:32 PM

413 posts, read 1,368,166 times
All I know about the Adirondacks is when I happen to watch Rachael Ray and she mentions her cabin. I think she said she lives in the Lake Luzerne or Lake George area. From how she describes her home there, it is very rural with very little in the way of shops or restaurants. It isn't really like that is it?

Old 09-30-2007, 08:48 AM

90 posts, read 686,409 times
You really don't go to the Adirondacks for shops and restaurants. It is a beautiful wilderness area with hundreds of lakes and the impressive high peaks region near Lake Placid. The ADK area is actually a southern extension of the Canadian Shield uplands - separated by the rest of this region by the valley carved out by the St. Lawrence.

As to shops and restaurants, you would find quite a few in a the meccas of Lake George and Lake Placid with some scatterings in other areas, but it is the unspoiled wilderness within the park that is the main draw.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:54 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
I grew up downstate and moved here for college. I married a local Buffalo boy and we have lived here ever since. We have a lovely 4 seasons, live withing 5 hours of most of the state ( a good day trip is to the wine country or to ski areas or even to Toronto). We are retired from excellent jobs, own the house we bought in our 20s (now paid for and worth at least 8 times what we paid for it then) and still have taxes under $2,500/year for town/county & school; we live on 3 acres at the eastern end of the county.
A lot of people will tell you Erie County is a big minus for the rust belt effect... don't believe it. Our kids have stayed and bought homes - one for $72K (1900 Victorian in a burb). **If you chose to move to pricy towns, you pay pricy costs**........... all I know is I would never move downstate again; the pace of life is hectic and the people are too darn busy to have fun and the cost of living is insane. While the housing market may be going bust, it will affect the high price homes, not ones like ours, esp. since we won't be selling!

Old 10-01-2007, 06:31 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
I grew up downstate and moved here for college. I married a local Buffalo boy and we have lived here ever since. We have a lovely 4 seasons, live withing 5 hours of most of the state ( a good day trip is to the wine country or to ski areas or even to Toronto). We are retired from excellent jobs, own the house we bought in our 20s (now paid for and worth at least 8 times what we paid for it then) and still have taxes under $2,500/year for town/county & school; we live on 3 acres at the eastern end of the county.
A lot of people will tell you Erie County is a big minus for the rust belt effect... don't believe it. Our kids have stayed and bought homes - one for $72K (1900 Victorian in a burb). **If you chose to move to pricy towns, you pay pricy costs**........... all I know is I would never move downstate again; the pace of life is hectic and the people are too darn busy to have fun and the cost of living is insane. While the housing market may be going bust, it will affect the high price homes, not ones like ours, esp. since we won't be selling!

Where do you live? I am curious as to your house price appreciation...A friend of mine used to live in Clarence, NY. Prices were high..you sound like you found a great place to raise your family...72k for a victorian? wow - what town? thanks 12b

Old 10-02-2007, 08:46 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
I live southeast of Clarence in Alden. The kids found a Victorian in Depew; not big, but vey nice. That was $72K

Old 10-02-2007, 03:57 PM

491 posts, read 1,433,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
I live southeast of Clarence in Alden. The kids found a Victorian in Depew; not big, but vey nice. That was $72K
yep, same price ranges in chautauqua county.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:12 PM

11 posts, read 50,275 times
I've lived all around upstate, from Utica to Binghamton, Syracuse and Oswego, Watertown, etc... I've travelled quite a bit and always enjoy coming 'home'. Many people I know who leave for the 'greener grass' of elsewhere end up choosing to come back home.

If I did not have strong family ties here, would I stay? I'm not sure. I think I would, but I also like to explore other areas. Anyway, much of the good and bad I'm listing here echoes what others have said...

Pros of living in upstate:
- Nice, genuine people
- Beautiful wilderness, seasonal changes
- Rich local history
- Relatively close proximity to several metro areas
- Proximity to highway systems
- Relatively low cost of living
- Many quaint small towns
- Activities ranging from festivals, concerts, the arts, outdoor recreation, etc.
- Great schools, including the country's largest state university system

Cons:
- The weather. I can deal with cold. I can deal with snow. It's those weeks upon weeks of gray skies that get to me. Nothing a short trip to Florida in January won't cure, though.
- The negativitiy in local media. Is it like that everywhere? Probably so. We just make a point of not watching local news and reading the paper only for upcoming events. We refuse to be told how awful it is here when we know better.
- To some, a lack of entertainment. "There's nothing to do!" whiners. What is there to do in other parts of the country? It's not hustle and bustle -- it's life in the slow lane here. It's a great place for families and those looking to just lead a nice, quiet life.

One last thing: About a year ago, I was walking through the yet-to-open Pet Smart parking lot in Watertown when I was stopped by a family from NJ. They asked if there were any other pet stores around. I said there was a small one down the road. They laughed, saying they'd already seen it and refused to go in. Then the woman said, "God, you don't have any good stores here. Down in Jersey, we have everything."

I was so angry, but restrained myself, saying only, "Yeah, you have everything but clean air and trees, right?" She shut up and they drove away.

For those of us who choose to live here, we'll just quietly enjoy what one recent visitor called the country's 'best-kept secret.'

Last edited by gem1122; 04-20-2008 at 10:03 PM..

Old 04-21-2008, 08:26 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gem1122 View Post
I've lived all around upstate, from Utica to Binghamton, Syracuse and Oswego, Watertown, etc... I've travelled quite a bit and always enjoy coming 'home'. Many people I know who leave for the 'greener grass' of elsewhere end up choosing to come back home.

If I did not have strong family ties here, would I stay? I'm not sure. I think I would, but I also like to explore other areas. Anyway, much of the good and bad I'm listing here echoes what others have said...

Pros of living in upstate:
- Nice, genuine people
- Beautiful wilderness, seasonal changes
- Rich local history
- Relatively close proximity to several metro areas
- Proximity to highway systems
- Relatively low cost of living
- Many quaint small towns
- Activities ranging from festivals, concerts, the arts, outdoor recreation, etc.
- Great schools, including the country's largest state university system

Cons:
- The weather. I can deal with cold. I can deal with snow. It's those weeks upon weeks of gray skies that get to me. Nothing a short trip to Florida in January won't cure, though.
- The negativitiy in local media. Is it like that everywhere? Probably so. We just make a point of not watching local news and reading the paper only for upcoming events. We refuse to be told how awful it is here when we know better.
- To some, a lack of entertainment. "There's nothing to do!" whiners. What is there to do in other parts of the country? It's not hustle and bustle -- it's life in the slow lane here. It's a great place for families and those looking to just lead a nice, quiet life.

One last thing: About a year ago, I was walking through the yet-to-open Pet Smart parking lot in Watertown when I was stopped by a family from NJ. They asked if there were any other pet stores around. I said there was a small one down the road. They laughed, saying they'd already seen it and refused to go in. Then the woman said, "God, you don't have any good stores here. Down in Jersey, we have everything."

I was so angry, but restrained myself, saying only, "Yeah, you have everything but clean air and trees, right?" She shut up and they drove away.

For those of us who choose to live here, we'll just quietly enjoy what one recent visitor called the country's 'best-kept secret.'
Excellent post!

I have to agree with you about the local media. I also limit watching Syracuse local news on TV or radio for my own sanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York