Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 11:07 AM

518 posts, read 2,014,190 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I have a Mom in a nursing home in another state and I figure if I am nice to people, then hopefully it goes around.............I sent you some pamphlets all about the area this am. Your 5 year old will have so much fun at the Santa's Workshop place. It has been around forever and generations of people keep bringing their kids and grandkids back to visit. My kids still talk about it and they are grown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 08:26 AM

58 posts, read 182,598 times
thanks, it looks like the Santa's workshop place will certainly be on the itinerary.

send you a pm
Billy
Quote:
Originally Posted by plattsburgher View Post
Hey,

I have a Mom in a nursing home in another state and I figure if I am nice to people, then hopefully it goes around.............I sent you some pamphlets all about the area this am. Your 5 year old will have so much fun at the Santa's Workshop place. It has been around forever and generations of people keep bringing their kids and grandkids back to visit. My kids still talk about it and they are grown.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:28 PM

4 posts, read 8,342 times
Default great place in Adirondacks!

The perfect area in the Adirondacks to go will be in the Tupper Lake and Saranac Lake areas. There is hiking, boating and cabins for staying the night. It was not very touristy when we were there, but we were there in October. I would go back no matter what time of year. You can not beat that part of the USA!

Old 06-18-2009, 08:18 AM

119 posts, read 429,432 times
Old Forge is great. Camping, swimming, mini golf, boat rides on the Fulton Chain of Lakes, and for your child, Enchanted Forest Water Safari (www.watersafari.com) It is a bit touristy, but there are things to do, and the scenery is gorgeous.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:40 AM

58 posts, read 182,598 times
Default A little update

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. We will be traveling this coming weekend(day after the 4th), hopefully the traffic on the I-87 is not going to be that bad....and the weather....

We have decided to stay in town of Saranac Lake, and do things locally. We welcome anyone who has any Saranac Lake specific suggestions, public beach, good fishing spot, easy hike for a 5 yrs old....etc. We're also looking for some kind of a "drive in" public campsite, not really going camping but looking for a place where we are allowed to build a fire and make some smores. Any suggestions on what I should prepare(or buy) for nature are also welcomed.

Thanks again for all your help.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:26 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,581,272 times
Avoid the Lake Placid area if you want to stay away from the uppercrusty resort crowds.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:55 PM

518 posts, read 2,014,190 times
Post Just tell people where you are from and

ask for help..............Most people up here definitely understand city visitors with children trying to give them a healthy dose of the great outdoors and will help you as much as they possibly can.........ask everybody......gas stations, grocery stores, shops, anyone........you never know which tip is going to be the very best idea you never had......!

Hope the weather is great for your trip! And yes, stay clear of Lake Placid. Bumper to bumper traffic that weekend.........Ick.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:44 PM

4 posts, read 8,342 times
Great choice. You will love it. Definitely try the frozen custard if you see a roadside stand offering it somewhere along the way. Buttermilk Falls is beautiful but not much of a hike. Good luck and have fun. I think if you are up in the area Lake Placid is a must see! FYI: my sister is in Rochester this week and she said the weather is very cool.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:46 PM

33 posts, read 110,162 times
Hello, I'm taking my kids to Lake George at the end of the month. Just wanted to offer a bit of info outside of the nature trail information.

My kids LOVE The Great Escape Lodge and Waterpark. It's a hotel with an indoor waterpark. The Looney tunes characters are all over the hotel, they do storytime, treasure hunts, etc... The hotel offers a day pass to use the water park even if you are staying at a different location.

There is also a Six Flags across the street from the hotel with a Looney Tunes section for your 5 yr old. When we went last year the park was near EMPTY. This came as a pleasant surprise since amusement parks are notorious for being overly crowded.

There is also a Steamboat company that offers boat tours with themes like Pizza, Birthday and a Fireworks show.

Have a wonderful time.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:58 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,896,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siamesecat View Post
Old Forge is great. Camping, swimming, mini golf, boat rides on the Fulton Chain of Lakes, and for your child, Enchanted Forest Water Safari (www.watersafari.com) It is a bit touristy, but there are things to do, and the scenery is gorgeous.
I second this...we had a great time in Old Forge. Love Enchanted Forest. We took a boat ride on the lake. There is a hotel there right on the lake that is nice. We stayed at the campground once also.

Stay the heck away from Lake George. It's just awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York