Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2007, 09:17 AM

33 posts, read 151,918 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate upstate with my 7 year old son. I have started researching Stony Point, Walkill and Walden. Can anyone give me info on the schools? How are the towns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 09:42 AM

51 posts, read 193,069 times
Which county do you want to be in? Stony Point is in Rockland. Wallkill and walden are in orange county>...taxes in stony point are very high and getting higher. I am familiar with walden since we where contimplating moving there as well. Wallkill I am not too familiar with From what I understand, talking with people directly, the schools in walden area seem to be ok. your best bet is to check out

greatschools.net. Really good information...but speaking with people who actually have kids in the school is really helpful as well.

Where from LI are you coming from? I relocated to Rockland County from Long Island as well...gradutated from massapequa. Is there anything in particular you are looking for in moving into the area besides schools?

Old 05-08-2007, 11:24 AM

Default Thanks!! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanchokiki View Post
Which county do you want to be in? Stony Point is in Rockland. Wallkill and walden are in orange county>...taxes in stony point are very high and getting higher. I am familiar with walden since we where contimplating moving there as well. Wallkill I am not too familiar with From what I understand, talking with people directly, the schools in walden area seem to be ok. your best bet is to check out

greatschools.net. Really good information...but speaking with people who actually have kids in the school is really helpful as well.

Where from LI are you coming from? I relocated to Rockland County from Long Island as well...gradutated from massapequa. Is there anything in particular you are looking for in moving into the area besides schools?
I am a single parent living in the Jericho/Syosset area. I'm sure you know how expensive things down here are. I am actually looking at purchasing a mobile home in the areas I mentioned as traditional homes prices are way out of my range and renting stinks! I was originally looking into Stony Point, but upon talking to one of the park owners I found that he also has homes available in parks in Wallkill and Walden that might better suit what I need. Since I've never been to these areas, I'm hoping for any information that will be helpful narrowing down my search. I want to be less than 1.5 hours from Syosset/Jericho so my son can see his grandparents at least two weekends a month. The schools in all the areas are rated 5s and 6s on the greatschools website, but like you said, you learn more from talking to people. So, anyone out there have an opinion (+ or -) that they want to share?

Old 05-08-2007, 08:10 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,960,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot14 View Post
I am looking to relocate upstate with my 7 year old son. I have started researching Stony Point, Walkill and Walden. Can anyone give me info on the schools? How are the towns?

I lived in Walden many years and 1 year in Wallkill among a lot of places in NY. Berea Elementary is good as well as Valley Central HS and Junior HS. The town of Walden is ok, there's some nice houses there. Last I checked my old house was for sale on Albany Ave, Nice house with a pool. Check the schools I mentioned. Not sure of the Walden Elementary I lived in Coldenham at the time and went to Berea Elementary.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:30 PM

Thanks, Sheena. I'll check out Berea Elem and also Coldenham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: