Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 07:35 PM

3,513 posts, read 9,427,541 times

Advertisements

Assuming the Albany area (Capital District) hasn't changed with the recent influx of downstaters, I'd say that the NYC attitude stops where the Albany market starts, probably Columbia County. Just an educated guess....(geography is one of my interests...a few years back I used to study maps, populations, statistics etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 10:39 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,494 times
Hmm... My wife and I lived in Buffalo nearly all our lives and relocated NYC 10 months ago. We have not seen this "attitude" either. In both locales we have met lots of friendly and helpful people. Of course, you're bound to encounter a few jerks anywhere.

It is true that when you enter a deli or drugstore, the cashiers will shout "NEXT" every time they are ready for a new customer. This sounds very rude to most people from other parts of the country, but it is just the way things are done here. While the service is rarely friendly, it is quick and efficient.

In crowded public places, like subways, you don't see lots of smiling and chatter amongst strangers. It is considered more polite to just leave people alone. Every morning and evening on crowded subway trains and buses, total strangers sit hip-to-hip and stand practically cheek-to-cheek, never once smiling or saying hello to each other. To do so would be considered either rude, a little creepy, or both. However, when it matters, I've observed nothing but politeness and kindness. People always give up their seats to the handicapped and elderly, as well as pregnant women and mothers with young children.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:43 AM

54 posts, read 122,377 times
The farther away you live from NYC, the nicer the people are.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:13 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
I've never found this attitude in NYC. In Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx at least. If I walk into a pizza shop I'll get a "hey man what can I get ya. Sure thing!". Cab drivers strike up conversations. People hold doors. If I'm in an office I'm always am able to have a nice conversation with the secretaries. The only rude people I've seen were transplants trying to live up to that NYC stereotype.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:13 AM

786 posts, read 4,733,123 times
Default The media is full of typical New Yorkers

Here are some typical New Yorkers:

Bill O'Reilly (FOXNEWS)
Joey Butafuco
Robert De Niro (you talking to me?)
Judge Judy
Archie Bunker
The Cast of "King of Queens" on TV

They all have that New York Edge (Attitude) to them

Old 05-24-2007, 12:13 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
You're confusing 'rude/loud' people with NYC inhabitants, not the same thing.

There may be more well known rude people in NYC only because there are more high profile people there in general being that it's a media base.

I have rarely found people to be unmannered or unfriendly whether on the street, in stores, or on the subway. Quite the opposite in fact. These are the typical NY'ers, not the ones you list.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:12 PM

170 posts, read 878,473 times
Default New York Attitude

What do the Italians have to do with the attitude? You just need to understand New Yorkers more and maybe you would look at the "attitude" in a different way, or maybe New York is just not for you !

Fallgirl

Old 05-25-2007, 06:44 PM

82 posts, read 109,948 times
I was born and raised in NYC. Personally, I feel that New Yorkers are some of the friendliest people I have met. You want rude and obnoxious, arrogant and snobby, try living in Boston!

Old 05-25-2007, 08:14 PM

266 posts, read 1,195,617 times
I love NYC. When visiting, my friend and I found the RUDEST people were... wait for it....
the OTHER TOURISTS!! horrible, pushy, selfish - mowing down other people so they got "their" experience at the tourist attractions, even going so far as to engage my friend in an argument at one of the Chinatown "name painting" tables because she mistakenly stepped in front of them and they had already "ordered" their paintings. Ugh!

the actual New Yorkers we talked to were great!!!

Old 05-26-2007, 03:36 AM

14 posts, read 83,339 times
Ok, I have the credentials - grew up in a small town way upstate, lived in NYC and the Island for many years.

Why do people assume that attitude = rude?

NYC people do have an attitude and they need it to survive in a concentrated area of millions of people. That attitude you see would be considered assertive in other places...in NYC , if you're not assertive, you get run over or left behind - that's the nature of living in a high density melting pot.

You can afford to be more laid back in a small town in the sticks.

It's only rude if the behavior is different from what you find in your usual daily life....

To metro New Yorkers, this is not rudeness, it's normal and it's outgoing and full of life and in your face.

It's important to see differences for what they are - normal in one kind of situation and not normal in another.

It's just not normal for you....

Awareness, it's a great thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York