Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 09:41 PM

12 posts, read 32,905 times

Advertisements

Hello. I enjoy the outdoors and organic lifestyles. I am looking to be within 2 hours to NYC and live as isolated in the woods as possible or in a small New Paltz style town. I cannot seem to find an area closer than a 2 hour drive to NYC, specifically brooklyn. It does not have to be in NY either as long as I am far from humanity to read and write! Thanks in advance.

-Andy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 11:45 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,955 times
Acerage and privacy costs money because so many people want it and the taxes are unreal too. If you have a pile of money then you'll find what you're looking for. If you don't, then you're going to have to compromise, especially if you want a 2-hour commute to Brooklyn.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:48 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,154,316 times
Putnam Valley maybe?

Old 05-26-2007, 07:32 AM

12 posts, read 32,905 times
I will be driving to the city and my girlfriend will be coming from the city via the train. So both, but I think driving will be the main mode of transporting. So I am going to visit some places this Monday. I have a list maybe you guys think some of them won't work for me. I would like a small town nearby, but mostly I want to find a place that is in the middle of the woods.
mountainville, peekskill, croton, tarrytown, putnam valley, piermont, walden, nyack, cornwall, montgomery. Hopefully I can see them all in one day heading South from Albany.

Thanks

Old 05-26-2007, 06:55 PM

80 posts, read 359,208 times
ltnflvr

I can relate to your love of the outdoors and a secluded homestead, but, keep in mind the direction of gasoline prices and what is going on in the world right now. A few years from now we may be remembering the days of $3.30 a gallon as the good old days.

No one really knows how this will end up. In my opinion, we'll be seeing a reverse in the trend of moving to the "country" due to the outrageous cost of commuting. You could end up losing A LOT of money on your secluded, faraway homestead.

Just something to think about...

Old 05-30-2007, 08:20 PM

8 posts, read 60,109 times
Default Small Town Life near NYC

Check out Sullivan County. It is about 2 hours to the city depending upon how deep into the county you go. It is very country in that area. Privacy and acreage are completely affordable. In fact, you'll be surprised how much home you can get for your dollar.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:29 AM

Hmm. Wurtsboro, the closest town in Sullivan to Manhattan, is 86 miles. You would need to have a perfectly clear drive averaging 65mph to make it in the 2 hour time limit. As the OP stated, he needs to get to Brooklyn in two hours. I know a couple in Yankee Lake who needed 3 hours to drive to mid-town and that was in good weather. Going over Wurtsboro Mountain in winter will slow you down.

The train from Port Jervis is two hours just to Hoboken and that's not even in Sullivan county.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:35 PM

505 posts, read 2,335,752 times
Yankee lake is a ways off the highway....so your 3 hours is a little skewed...there isn't too much of that in Orange County...so I think it's pretty good advice. It's an idea, which is what the thread was asking.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:39 PM

8 posts, read 60,109 times
Default Mapquest

Perhaps people aren't reading the threads before posting a reply? I stated that "depending upon how far into Sullivan County you go...."

According to Mapquest one can arrive in Brooklyn from Wurtsboro in 1 hour and 51 minutes....if you want to get technical.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:04 PM

Mapquest is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York