Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2010, 10:44 AM

14 posts, read 50,191 times

Advertisements

We just moved into Wappingers Falls in Duchess county from out of state. I never had experience with oil heating before, so I have few questions. How much oil approximatly do you use for the house, sized around 1900 sqf and how much do you pay? What is approximate bill in the winter months? Is it better to get smart pay budget plan, where you pay every month, or to pay each time the tank got filled? For the smart pay plan I was quoted $250 a month (which to me seemed very high). Is it a fair price?
Also can anyone recommend good company to use for the oil heating in Poughkeepsie, Wappingers area.
Any other important points or info I should know about oil heating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 03:05 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
How does the budget plan work if you go over? do you pay that $250 all year round or only during the winter?

I have heard the best price is if you pay COD.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:24 PM

406 posts, read 1,451,180 times
It would be impossible to tell how much oil a given house will use during a heating season, as there are a tremendous amount of variables at play, for instance, how well the house is insulated, how many and what type of windows and doors, your preferred temperature, ect. As far as it goes, we spend far less than the $3000 yearly for oil a $250 monthly budget plan allows, and our house is 3200 sq ft. Assuming you are entitled to a refund of unspent monies, why let an oil company use your money? As a previous poster stated, C.O.D. is cheapest, but that means you have to monitor your tank levels closely, and plan your deliveries accordingly.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:52 PM

14 posts, read 50,191 times
Thanks' for your replies. With the budget plan we will have to pay $250 every month. If we use less oil, that what we have paid for, we will get credit at the end of one year contract. Looks like COD would be the best way to go for us, my only concern is how much we will have to pay in winter months. How often would you need to fill up an oil tank in winter?

Old 02-11-2010, 08:33 AM

4 posts, read 20,374 times
We just had our tank filled yesterday, and I always hate looking at the bill. $470! If we pay within 30 days, we get a slight discount. We decided not to do the budget plan, and try to set money aside for the winter. That said, sometimes we have to wait a bit before we can pay for the oil. We can usually get 2 months out of one tankful, depending on how cold it is. We keep our thermostat at 58 during the night, and if we really want to live it up, have it at 64 during the day when we're home. Our house was built in the 1870s, so I've been busy adding insulation, new windows, and the like. This is one reason I'd like to move somewhere a little warmer. I'd rather spend money on something else! Our oil company tracks our past oil use to determine when our next delivery is. We've never run out of oil, but we've come close. I'd recommend having a service plan over the budget plan. If anything goes wrong with our furnace, we get emergency service, without paying for a service call. Some parts included. That costs us @$250 a year and includes a yearly tune-up. Your costs like others have said will depend on how new your furnace is, the insulation in your home, and how warm you like to keep your home. We wear sweaters!

Old 02-17-2010, 03:57 PM

7 posts, read 47,534 times
hey i just bought a house with oil heat too. i dont have a water tank though, just the oil boiler. it controls the hot water too. i have 3 zones and i think that helps me alot cause its just my wife and my daughter here with me. i keep the basement turned down to the lowest setting (probably off) and the first floor to 60. the third floor i keep it at 70. my windows suck but i have a townhouse which is attached on both sides. i opted for the smart pay plan cause i didnt need to come out of pocket right away. i have been monitoring the oil tank closely and it seems that it will last me about 3 months. when they filled the tank which was pretty low the bill came by accident and it was $614. my smart pay is $207 a month which is about right. the only thingis i'll be paying that during the summer when i wont be using it so much. but i might opt out of it. i'll see how it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York