Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 02:42 PM

118 posts, read 626,765 times

Advertisements

My family is moving within the next two months to Orange Co. from western NY.

I have zero knowledge on this topic. All the houses we have ever owned have been natural gas. How many times a year do you fill an oil tank? Do you pay all at once, or is there a budget plan like I have now? Do you pay by the gallon...if so, how much is it up to now. I think I am in for a huge shock with this...and dreading your answers! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 09:46 AM

89 posts, read 280,597 times
Default Get Ready!!

Hi, I use to live in Orange County. I loved it, very beautiful and great quality of life. Now oil, it will depend on the size of your home and your personal comfort level. My old home was a 2200 sq. ft. bi - level ranch and I filled up 6 times a year at $500 to $600 bucks each time. Keep in mind that this was 4 1/2 years ago. It might be higher now. There are some companies that will put you on a payment plan and others that won't. I hope this helps

Old 05-03-2008, 05:46 PM

46 posts, read 225,011 times
Oil is expensive wherever you are and it probably is going to get much worse over time. I've got a pretty large home, approx 4300 sq. ft. and I can go through 5k in oil just over winter.

I've been seriously looking into and considering geothermal heat/air (geoexchange) as an investment in the future. Initial costs are high, but you'll never have to use a drop of oil or gas in your house for heat again.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:54 PM

118 posts, read 626,765 times
Thank you for your comments. Where we live now...we pay on a budget $220/month for gas/electric. I guess that is pretty good compared to what we are going to be paying! Right now our house is about 2000 sq. ft....and we are moving into a 3200 sq ft house. ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: