Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 10:58 AM

3 posts, read 59,775 times

Advertisements

I'm getting into this thread very late, but perhaps this information will be useful to people like myself who do a later search.

Taxes in Woodstock have gone up considerably since we first purchased in 2003. We started out with taxes of roughly $2400 per year, and are now paying a little over $6000 per year. Our home is only one bedroom, one bath, under 900 square feet. We do have 2 acres -- but still. It's a little daunting. We'd like to do an addition, but are afraid we won't be able to afford the taxes.

As for the citizens of Woodstock. Some are very nice. Ellen at the Building Department is worth her weight in gold. Our immediate neighbors (except for the ones who moved her from NYC) are extremely rude and sometimes downright hostile. I've lived in Peterborough, NH before (a town very similar in size to Woodstock), and people there couldn't be nicer. So I was a little surprised.

But don't be put off. The rude people don't out number the nice people, they're just more vocal.

I think the locals are angry about the influx of new people from the city, and the cost of housing having risen. And who can blame them? There aren't many high-paying job opportunities here. I couldn't afford it, if I didn't work from home. Now, the housing market is bottoming out again.

My "local citzen" friends say the schools are actually very, very good. I think it's a safe environment, and there are tons of outdoorsy things to do. The air quality is fantastic, and the scenery can't be beat. And there are some really good restaurants, and a terrific health food store.

Just brace yourself for some initial restistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 01:44 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,464 times
We have looked all around the New Paltz/Woodstock area (coming from eastern Queens) and I cannot believe the property taxes...out of control. There appear to be some that more reasonable than others, but that seems to be the exception. I was in contact with a real estate agent who said we "might" be able to find something for less than $9K a year in property taxes. !!!!!

The area is quite beautiful, but I was really disheartened by the expensive taxes...we crossed it off our list quickly.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,280 times
Default Thinking about leaving Northern NJ for Woodstock Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative1 View Post
Hi all. I'm thinking of moving with my husband and elementary school aged son to Woodstock. what is life like there? Will it be a hard adjustment for Long Islanders? What are the schools like? Any areas better suited for families than others? ANY info would be helpful...we want to leave behind lofty taxes, congestion, etc....and think woodstock is beautiful.
Hi,
I saw your message and though it's old, I wondered if you guys actually made the move. I am a recently divorced mom with twin 5 yr old boys. I'd lived in NYC for 15 yrs, then moved to Northern NJ. I feel like we need a change. Something more rustic, yet with a charming town. I've always loved the Far Eastern part of the Hamptons, but it's too quiet most of the year. Not a suburban girl! I'm also into music the mountains, and think that the Woodstock area might be good for us. We are also Jewish, and although not religious, I might want to send them to a Jewish Day School for a few years. At least I'd like the option to have one within 15 min. from where we live. Any suggestions you could make would be much appreciated. We might just end up doing a weekend home, but I'm really thinking along the lines of a full time move right now. Hope your decision worked out for you, and that all is well.

Thanks,
Lisa

Old 01-21-2008, 10:49 AM

10 posts, read 36,880 times
Default Death & Taxes

I've lived in Ulster County for 33 years & the taxes are forcing us out; we're hanging in, but when your taxes begin to equal the mortgage you're in trouble. Please check out Taxnightmare.org for more information. Previous writers correct when they say that Woodstock is mostly for the wealthy now, & that everyone else has moved to Greene/ other counties. The economy stinks.Still, we love it here and doing our best to make sure we're being heard.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:15 AM

1 posts, read 5,250 times
Does anybody have any thoughts on New Paltz as a place to raise a family (taxes aside)? I am coming from a place that has high taxes and mediocre middle and secondary schools, so I can deal with high taxes if the middle/high schools are good, which they seem to be. My kids are still very little, so the high taxes would still be less than the private school fees we might have to pay if we stay put. Thanks!

Old 01-25-2008, 07:28 AM

4 posts, read 17,809 times
Default Woodstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative1 View Post
Hi all. I'm thinking of moving with my husband and elementary school aged son to Woodstock. what is life like there? Will it be a hard adjustment for Long Islanders? What are the schools like? Any areas better suited for families than others? ANY info would be helpful...we want to leave behind lofty taxes, congestion, etc....and think woodstock is beautiful.

Woodstock is a beautiful town. Have you ever seen the movie Ground Hogs Day? It was filmed in Woodstock. The down town square is very charming with little store, the Opera House Theatre, and resturants. I am a realtor with Lewke Partners, Agents of Prudential. I've lived in the Crystal Lake area for 19 years now which is very close to Woodstock. Woodstock is really growing right now with new businesses and homes. The schools are good as well. If you'd like more information on the Woodstock or surrounding communities, please feel free to contact me [mod] ad [/mod]

Last edited by jessiegirl_98; 01-25-2008 at 09:14 AM..

Old 01-25-2008, 07:30 AM

4 posts, read 17,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlachel View Post
Woodstock is a beautiful town. Have you ever seen the movie Ground Hogs Day? It was filmed in Woodstock. The down town square is very charming with little store, the Opera House Theatre, and resturants. I am a realtor with Lewke Partners, Agents of Prudential. I've lived in the Crystal Lake area for 19 years now which is very close to Woodstock. Woodstock is really growing right now with new businesses and homes. The schools are good as well. If you'd like more information on the Woodstock or surrounding communities, please feel free to contact me at 815-370-9498 anytime. Heidi Lachel

Dear Woodstock Inquiry....I quess I should ask which Woodstock town are you speaking of? I was referring to Woodstick, Illinois. Heidi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York