Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 12:40 PM

420 posts, read 2,199,443 times

Advertisements

First and foremost, I don't believe that by sending my children to private school I am forcing any choice of profession on them. My father played in the NHL for 14 years. I chose to get a degree in Finance. If my son wants to be an author, chef, accountant, that's his decision; what's important is that he's my son regardless of what occupation he choses.

The reason I came to this site was simply because I don't come from generations and generations of wealth, I've don't know a whole heck of a lot of people in the NYC area(outside of the city), and I'm looking for opinions that come from people. I've read all the facts and journalistic views. For instance, Mamaroneck, NY was suggested, but the only info I have on that town is that recently there was a large case involving illegal day-laborers. One can certainly understand why I wouldn't find it a desireable community. All I really want is real opinions from real people. Sure, I could pay a realtor to tell me all the wonderful things about any place in the area, but I might not hear some of the important bad things. To me, this site, along with forums in general, is an invaluable resource to people searching for the experienced opinions of others. That being said, I express my graditude to posters like Brahmos who has given me some valuable tips, and simply filter out anything posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines.

JSN, I have to admit, that was a good post. You expressed your opinion and that's exactly what I'm looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 12:46 PM

155 posts, read 849,750 times
I agree, 2 years out of NYU? Two years ago while his wife is home preggers homey was holed up in his dorm at NYU dreaming of becoming the next Warren Buffet?

Not to be a playa hater Matthew, but I think you're as phony as the Rolex you picked up on the corner of 42nd & 6th.

My guess is he sells Amway/Quixtar and is trolling for new customers. Hopefully he's added a few rich Realtors to his Amway Rolodex and they are being "pitched" right now- they deserve each other.

BTW JSN- Sign of the Dove has been closed for about a decade, not sure where the Goldman boys like Matthew lunch now, apparently not the Meatpacking district.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:17 PM

103 posts, read 654,017 times
Rug city many in the investment banking field get a job out of college, work a few years and then go to B school.

WallStreetWarrior get to know some folks at work and ask their opinion, but don't be surprised if it isn't what you expect. Of all the investment bankers we know (my husband was one for many years), only a few live in Scarsdale and Rye.

If an affluent lifestyle is what you are seeking, there are many moneyed places outside of Westchester in CT (Greenwich possibly) and NJ (Short Hills might work for you). For a short commute you cannot beat Scarsdale and that and the school system are probably the best reasons to live there.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:18 PM

525 posts, read 2,351,409 times
DOH! I am old as we all can see now. Oy vey, I hate when my age shows, lol.

Listen Matthew, I am busting on a few of your threads based on you openning the door for a cynic and devil's advocate such as myself to walk right on in. I agree wholeheartedly that a place like CD is a good place for discussions and sharing of opinions. But it is also a place where based on the words you choose to type, you might get your butt handed to you. BovinaTurbine might actually be someone you should filter in, afterall the more opinions from the more people the better. I think I have read in Cow's post that they are an old time LI'er, NYC'er, so they might have some insight worth reading!

But, I am sure everyone's ears perked up with your Rye/gay community comments. You wrote it, you have to accept the responses you get for it!

Remember a message board has no facial expressions/inflection in voice so your words are read at face value-and the value of that particular face was ugly frankly. It's cool, it's all good, it's your life.

Just keep your mind open, value things on more than just dollars, and do the best you can for your babies-they will be taking care of all of us one day soon!

Old 06-15-2007, 01:20 PM

525 posts, read 2,351,409 times
Damn Cow, you are on a roll today, now my water is all over my screen!

You own me a new monitor with your quips today!

Great way to end the week!

Old 06-15-2007, 02:57 PM

420 posts, read 2,199,443 times
First of all, I don't support any MLM companies, and wholeheartedly suggest that all of their pawns trying to "make friends" should be subject to capital punishment. One of my buddies in college thought I would like to be his "downline" for Quixtar. I told him he should jump out the window.

Moving on, xamxs, thanks for the heads up on Short Hills, NJ. I'm doing a little research now and hope to see some posts from people about the place.

Now I want to talk about Scarsdale public schools. Are they really that impressive?? It seems to most of the posters that they are among the top in the area. I was simply not aware of this at the begining of the thread. I would appreciate anyone who has in depth knowledge to the public school system in Scarsdale to send me a pm. Thank you in advance.

To conclude this post, I guess I need to apologize to a few people. JSN made a lot of good points and taught me something about posting online. At this point then, I would like to apologize for my Rye, NY comments, disclosing that I am in no way homophobic, and that I simply wanted a clarification. The basis of the statement was that I had really never been to Rye, NY and I was wondering if it was like the Provincetown of NY, certainly not a desireable place to raise a family. Now that it's been clarified, I certainly will add it to the list.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:22 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,585 times
Scarsdale Public Schools Home Page

Old 06-15-2007, 04:33 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,704 times
I'm sending you a PM on a place I think will be ideal for you.

Actually Provincetown probably wouldn't be a bad place to raise kids. Lots of culture, a genuine community feel to the town, a prosperous buisness district, next to no crime, and lots of recreational opportunities. No idea what the schools are like, but I wouldn't discount Provincetown just because of its large gay population and, in fact, would consider it a plus. Stereotype or not, I think gays bring culture and life to communities; galleries, interesting restaurants, festivals, theater, and a knack for restoring tired areas.

Last edited by Jason_Els; 06-15-2007 at 04:45 PM..

Old 06-15-2007, 05:56 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,585 times
24 PM BovinaCowHateWindTurbines This message has been deleted by bellafinzi. Reason: inappropriate/copyrighted photo

lol I guess I made a point.....

The copyrightwasinthephoto

Old 06-16-2007, 05:20 AM

142 posts, read 811,251 times
Matthew,
Why don't you reconsider staying in Darien? The town is wonderful. I lived there with my 4 kids for 10 years and only left due to a job transfer. I think it is the best place to raise kids and really has everything you're looking for: great schools, beautiful beaches and motivated, successful people. The commute to NYC is no big deal--everyone does it. And it also has one thing no other town ANYWHERE has; your kids' grandparents. I know family is important to you, it comes across in your posts as your number one concern. So why not live somewhere where your parents can play an active role in your children's lives? Yes, I know it is not so far to Westchester from Darien, but that distance will grow as your parents age and with the traffic of Fairfield County, just getting to Greenwich (about 9 miles away) can take 30 minutes. Obviously, I don't know you or your parents, or how your relationship with them works. But I do know you are in the town I would choose above all others. And Darien is geographically big enough to give you a feeling of independence from your parents. Look at Tokeneke, or back country on Hollow Tree, or in that area that includes Tory Hole (I can't believe I can't remember the name of those roads). We lived on Stonybrook Rd South and loved it there. You can find what you want there.
Best of luck to you and your family.
Joanne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York