Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 09:06 AM

32 posts, read 68,488 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think of the Nissan Leaf? Has anyone here registered for the pre-order yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 10:47 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
for now a pure electric car is a novelty. we dont have the proper infrastructure yet for a practical pure electric car. i hope one day we will though.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:50 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
for now a pure electric car is a novelty. we dont have the proper infrastructure yet for a practical pure electric car. i hope one day we will though.
What do you mean by that?

Old 07-31-2010, 11:13 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
The Leaf can go 100 miles per Nissan, give or take depending on how and where you drive, so it really can't go far before it needs a recharge that takes significant time. Yuo can charge the car on a simple 120V outlet, but it takes much longer than the high voltage outlet you can install in your home. Until you can quickly recharge an electric car like you can quickly refill a gas one, it will be limited in its usability. The Chevy Volt overcomes this with an onboard generator powered by gas - after 40 miles, the gas generator kicks on and charges the electric car so you can keep driving indefinitely. Its a good compromise to get an electric car that is not as tethered to the home charging station (or access to any power outlet).

Old 07-31-2010, 11:35 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
It is an interesting concept but a very early implementation.

I would not consider buying one... less capability for more money. I will stick with gasoline as a fuel for right now.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:44 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
What do you mean by that?
I think that answer is pretty obvious?

Electric car technology has come a long way, but its far from being able to be used by the masses. I haven't studied the Leaf very much, but 100 miles is GETTING CLOSE to practical, but still far from it.

The problem with electric cars, as mentioned above, is that they cannot be refilled (recharged) quickly. A gas car, refilling in 10 minutes or so (usually less) has more or less unlimited range.

Here in CA, we have "electric vehicle charging stations" scattered about, but they are far from everywhere.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:44 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,914 times
There are any number of people for whom the Leaf, or the Volt would be a good fit. We have very cheap electricity in our town (about 8.5 cent/KWH) and many, or most of us drive 20-40 miles per day. During a block party last year I queried my neighbors about their driving (12 retirees, 6 working folks). One of the guys that works goes to Denver airport once or twice a month (55 miles each way) so without a charging point in their parking garage it wouldn't work for him.

One lady, and the above guy, commute to Denver regularly but they almost always use a van pool that picks up on the Interstate about 12 miles from our houses. The rest of us just do rinky dink trips around our town and the surrounding area. On the occassions that we go to Denver it's to the theatre or an "event". Oddly enough any event I've ever been to happens to have electricity at it. It may not be a 220/440V connection for more efficient charging, but there is 110 everywhere.

BTW, virtually every family in the US is a two-car family so one for around town and one for over the road trips is not impossible

Old 07-31-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Oddly enough any event I've ever been to happens to have electricity at it. It may not be a 220/440V connection for more efficient charging, but there is 110 everywhere.
You're nuts if you think I'm inviting you over and letting you charge our car at my house!

Unless electricity is free, I don't see people letting their friends charge cars at their houses.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:01 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
I think that answer is pretty obvious?

Electric car technology has come a long way, but its far from being able to be used by the masses. I haven't studied the Leaf very much, but 100 miles is GETTING CLOSE to practical, but still far from it.

The problem with electric cars, as mentioned above, is that they cannot be refilled (recharged) quickly. A gas car, refilling in 10 minutes or so (usually less) has more or less unlimited range.

Here in CA, we have "electric vehicle charging stations" scattered about, but they are far from everywhere.
No the answer is not obvious. What infrastructure? Honestly do you think you could drive more than 100 miles without there being an electrical outlet? We are talking typical 120/240 line here... Are you afraid the grid will collapse or something? If you can power an air conditioner over night then I think your question is answered.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:09 PM

No: i am not worried about the "grid collapsing".

No: i do not think i could drive for 100 miles and not find an outlet.

But: the idea that people plan on driving for 100 miles then STOPPING for an extended period of time is insane.

YES: I do drive a lot, and want to be able to drive wherever I want, whenever I want to.

The leaf will have a charging time of 16 hours on 100 volt. What If i drive from LA to AZ (like i do monthly)? Stop 4 times for 16 hours? Seriously? 220 volt makes charging 8 hours. No better. Thats still an overnight charge. Nissan has built a "fast charge" option, but its not a 100% charge .. and it is STILL 30 minutes.

This is a novelty car, for people who can drive 100 mile round trips and then let their car sit overnight. While this appeals to SOME people, it is FAR FROM ideal.

Let me also say, that i think electricity will save the auto industry. But until you can "fast charge" a car that has a 400 mile range, in 10 minutes or so, its not going to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti