Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2018, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 962 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone ! So I know nothing about cars. While driving to work , my car started shaking and the check engine light came on and was flashing. After work I got it towed to a mechanic who said it would be $1,500 for 4 ignition coils and 4 spark plugs to be replaced. I just feel like this is so much money. They must charge a lot for labor. How can I make sure this is an accurate quote/estimate ? I have a 2010 nissan sentra with 180,000 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 01:57 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Your coil packs can be found at Amazon 4 under $50/set of 4, or as much as $70 apiece at a dealership, and plugs are cheap, maybe $20/set. Based on the time involved, unless there is something particularly trick about that car, I would say that's about 3 times what it should cost. I would call around, it's a straightforward job and you should be given costs without seeing it in person. Of course, that is if your mechanic did diagnose the problem correctly.

Old 06-28-2018, 02:14 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Fairly easy job you do have to remove the intake manifold though. Price is way to high though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poEqTd_bOXo

Old 06-28-2018, 03:06 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Never saw ALL FOUR coils go bad same time.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:31 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
Changing plugs on this engine is not for most DIYer's. There's a lot that has to come off and then be put back on. It's not a direct remove and install. The price of $1500. is so far out in left field that it's pure BS. You're looking at about $350 labor. Using Nissan parts, IF parts required, COPs and plugs will be another $300.00. I'd be real careful when it comes to COPs. Most commonly the after market units don't last long and you'll be right back at the shop getting the right parts. For this reason, I'd strongly suggest Denso COPs as Denso is the COPs supplier to Nissan for a 2010 Nissan 2.5 4 cylinder. You can buy Denso for about 55 bucks each. FWIW, the COPs have to come off of the plug to change the spark plugs. There's really NO extra labor involved in replacing the COPs with new ones. A good shop is going to charge you for replacing the spark plugs in regards to labor. A crappy shop will charge labor for the plugs and then charge again for the COPs. Most shops use manual labor rates and don't charge for actual time to do the job. A shop that charges you twice to do the same work doesn't have a clue and you need to avoid those. I'd get estimates from ASE shops, preferably independent shops, not chains like Firestone or Pep Boys, etc.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:54 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Never saw ALL FOUR coils go bad same time.
I would imagine its a preventive thing, at that mileage, and the work involved with replacing them its smarter just to do them all.

Old 06-28-2018, 04:37 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,522,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safiyyahmuh View Post
Hello everyone ! So I know nothing about cars. While driving to work , my car started shaking and the check engine light came on and was flashing. After work I got it towed to a mechanic who said it would be $1,500 for 4 ignition coils and 4 spark plugs to be replaced. I just feel like this is so much money. They must charge a lot for labor. How can I make sure this is an accurate quote/estimate ? I have a 2010 nissan sentra with 180,000 miles.

Welcome to the forum safiyyahmuh

Great advice has been posted, My advise would be either research automotive maintenance
or upgrade your vehicle

In the real world 180k on a 2010 Sentra is ' Nickle & Dime ' time, meaning for what
you have to put into it you'll never get back

Old 06-28-2018, 06:47 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safiyyahmuh View Post

Some people simply are clueless when it comes to things mechanical. If that is you, you need to find a mechanic you can trust and, when he tells you something, go with it and have the car fixed. That rate might seem high to some, so get a second quote, then you will know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti