Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 08:10 PM

3 posts, read 27,480 times

Advertisements

Figured it out. When I was taken the condenser out there are 2 metal clips that hold the radiator into the frame. They were both really rusted when I was taking the bolts out of them and the one on the passenger side broke. I had to put a self tapping screw into the frame not realizing the wiring harness was underneath. I must of pierced the power wire to the alternator. I ended up cutting the screw down and now everything is back to normal. So I ended up with a new alternator from the shop when I swapped out the other one. Just remember the wiring harness runs underneath where the radiator sits. Hopefully this can help someone else on the future. Thanks for all the responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 12,056 times
im having the same problem with my nissan altima.The battery and brake lights when on but then the max speed i can drive is 5mph can some please help me

Old 06-21-2013, 12:21 PM

3 posts, read 24,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalyhdez View Post
im having the same problem with my nissan altima.The battery and brake lights when on but then the max speed i can drive is 5mph can some please help me
Just take it to the dealer.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:00 PM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalyhdez View Post
That combination of warning lights is a sure sign that the alternator is dying.
Right now you can drive 5 mph, but very shortly you will wind up stranded if you continue to keep trying to drive it.
Have a NEW alternator (not a rebuilt one) installed, and your problem should resolve itself.
The reason why I recommend a new alternator, rather a rebuilt one is because so many of the rebuilts nowadays are crap, and will fail after just a short period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerforce View Post
Just take it to the dealer.
If the car is still under warranty, then--absolutely--this is what should be done.
However, for a car that is no longer covered by warranty, any competent mechanic can fix this problem, and at a far lower cost than what a dealership would charge.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:05 PM

3 posts, read 35,983 times
So, does it boil down to the fact that the ALTERNATOR is/was bad??? The same same thing just happened to my 2001 Nissan Altima.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:29 PM

My 2001 Nissan Altima has 87k - 90k. When we got it, it had about 85k.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:58 PM

Ok, here's the low down. Yesterday my daughter's 2001 Nissan Altima's battery and break light suddenly came on. My daughter has been saying the car has been acting a bit funny/running a bit rough. Today my wife and daughter took two cars including the Nissan Altima, of course, to NAPA to have the alternator checked. They said it was going out and didn't have one in stock, so they went to O'Reilley's. They had one. About $220 = $140 + $82 core charge. So, $140 ish. They have a lifetime warranty on their "rebuilt" alternators. Only the shell is reused, so they told my wife. Everything, THE GUTS, are new. After getting the alternator they headed home. At a stop light the car died and had to be pushed off the road into close-by parking lot. So, after working a hot, humid, indoors 10 hour day, daddy had more hot, humid work to do. Using 10mm, 12mm, and 14mm sockets/wrenches, I removed the alternator and put the new one in. I did manage to break the heat sensor lug, which was in the way. The oil dipstick was in the way too. I removed all the loose dirt around the dipstick tube, removed it and continued on with my removal.

Once put back together, with a new alternator, my wife drove it home saying it ran woderfully, no roughness at all. SWEET! The ultimate test will be when my daughter drives it and I get feedback from her since she is the primary driver of this vehicle. AND the coolant heat sensor was about $11 dollars and it has a lifetime warranty too. I had my wife get one of those too. I replaced
it using teflon tape. No leaks. SWEET!

So, I guess that a break light/battery light combination all of a sudden does mean that the alternator is "GOING OUT" for sure. I happened to me first hand.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 11,507 times
My Altima is doing the same thing its a 05 after reading the post I will go get alternator my stop on me in traffic can't have that with kids in the car.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 13,441 times
I just replaced my alternator in August and the brake light and battery light came on ask. I was heading to work. The It's a brand new alternator.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:00 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,671,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbazany View Post
I just replaced my alternator in August and the brake light and battery light came on ask. I was heading to work. The It's a brand new alternator.
It's a bad new alternator. Don't you feel bad though--it just happens sometimes. It happens because your "new" alternator is (most probably) actually a "remanufactured" alternator, and the quality of work from the various remanufacturing shops definitely varies.

Take it back to the parts store, or go back to the garage that replaced the first one for a warranty replacement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti