Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 08:13 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,789,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Ack! I hope my posts aren't being misread as me being upset or angry because that's not the case. Usually when I'm telling these stories to my family I'm laughing about it, not annoyed.

I'm always caught off guard when approached, no matter what the question is, so I tend to answer with straight answers & a smile and assume that will be the end of it. I wish I had the wits to screw with folks though.

Glad you are able to laugh about it later

Why not come up with one pat answer like some of those I suggested that you could just rattle off when someone makes a comment? I bet you'd both get a laugh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 08:13 PM

17,642 posts, read 22,665,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
When I wear my hair curly I get asked about my curls all the time. I also get asked where I get my highlights done because they look so natural (the curls are natural as are the highlights).

I'm barely 5'4...more like just over 5'3" which really isn't that short...but I've gotten comments on that...usually at the grocery store when I have to ask for assistance to get something off the top shelf that has been pushed back. Heck, if I were single it would be a great way to pick up men!
Some stores have a ladder ona hook, at the end of an aisle, to reach high places.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:18 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,211,585 times
Quote:
I'm barely 5'4...more like just over 5'3" which really isn't that short...but I've gotten comments on that...usually at the grocery store when I have to ask for assistance to get something off the top shelf that has been pushed back. Heck, if I were single it would be a great way to pick up men!
I had to practically get into the freezer again today in order to reach something! There was nobody cute around...

Old 03-15-2011, 08:28 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,087,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
Since I'm short too and if my kids aren't with me, I have to have someone get an item from the top shelf when I go grocery shopping.
Oh I love it when my kids go with me...then I can lift them to get the items instead of finding someone taller than me or climbing the shelves!

My kids are getting kind of heavy to be lifting over my head though. Thankfully my 11yr old is catching up to my height

Old 03-15-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I had to practically get into the freezer again today in order to reach something! There was nobody cute around...
Heck I've done that! I've climbed the shelves too. I feel like such a monkey doing that but WTF...why do they put all the good stuff on the top shelf!

ETA...I'm going to get me one of these handy-dandy items:

http://www.amazon.com/Ontel-Products.../dp/B00006K157

My youngest son had a "WALL-E" arm that I stole so I could use it in the kitchen. Now I have to use the salad tongs...or sometimes I'll grab a long-handled spoon and knock things off the shelf and hope I catch them!

Old 03-15-2011, 08:34 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,225,866 times
People ask me about my hair occasionally too - I take it as a compliment unless it's a hairdresser - I guess I feel they should be able to tell the difference between a natural curl and permed hair!

I also get a lot of comments on my accent. I don't mind it at all generally speaking - I have a couple of English friends who find starting every conversation with comments about the accent irritating, but it doesn't bother me.

Of course by far the majority of comments I get these days are about the dog. She IS gorgeous, but it's a bit much being outshone by a 5lb dog!

Old 03-15-2011, 08:34 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,211,585 times
Quote:
Heck I've done that! I've climbed the shelves too. I feel like such a monkey doing that but WTF...why do they put all the good stuff on the top shelf!
It wasn't all that good! It was "good for you" - cauliflower. The good stuff is usually at eye level, even for our eyes.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:36 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,070,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
You'd think I'd be used to it by now, but I'm still taken aback when someone approaches me to comment on or ask me about my height, which is then usually followed with an interrogation regarding my life.

Do shorter folks deal with this too?

Have you ever stopped someone to ask them a question regarding their physical appearance, such as "How tall are you?" "How much do you weigh?" "Are those real?"

I guess I just have trouble comprehending the compulsion to ask such questions. Can't people guess?
How damn tall are you?

Old 03-15-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It wasn't all that good! It was "good for you" - cauliflower. The good stuff is usually at eye level, even for our eyes.
Hey don't knock cauliflower! YUM!

Old 03-15-2011, 09:03 PM

7,371 posts, read 16,027,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
How damn tall are you?
6' 1", if memory serves me right. I haven't seen weight mentioned yet though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships