Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 04:52 AM

467 posts, read 984,096 times

Advertisements

Do any of you have "friends" that only seem to talk to you when they have some personal issue they want to vent on you about, are bored at home, or are between relationships at the moment and bail on you the moment things are better for them?

I have an acquaintance I've known 20 years that basically has that pattern and I finally had the last straw when she bailed on me again out of the blue because she met some guy. Not only was it rude, but she flat out lied about doing that to me again.

I bid her a kind farewell and wished her luck, and have no doubt that when something goes south with him, I'll hear from her again, but I've learned and won't bother with her again. I feel a bit used and like what we talked about really wasn't all that important to her.

Any similar experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 04:58 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,085,781 times
Yes...many times...and all have been dismissed from my life. I don't have time for fair weather friends.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:00 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
Yes. I have a childhood friend, who talks only when its convenient for her, and when we do talk, its all about her.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:14 AM

467 posts, read 984,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
Yes...many times...and all have been dismissed from my life. I don't have time for fair weather friends.
I finally learned to do that with this one. What a waste of my time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Yes. I have a childhood friend, who talks only when its convenient for her, and when we do talk, its all about her.
Same here. I was very tentative about talking to this person again, as she never used to respond to anything that I said, only talking about herself. There was a 2 year gap where I didn't hear from her at all. She used to complain about her bad marriage, but after she got out of it, poof...gone, not even a "so long".

I fell for the trap though this time, because she did decide to be responsive and we had real 2-way interaction and it was nice. Well she did it to me again. She talked about her bad relationship with her latest guy, and as soon as she got out of it, she didn't seem to need me anymore. She did meet a new guy like a week later and told me her new BF didn't want her having a male friend so this was goodbye for good as she didn't wanna ruin things with him.

She did say "goodbye" this time but it was out of the blue and didn't acknowledge anything we'd talked in the last 2 decades we'd known each other. She knew alot of my family problems and issues and didn't even address those at least. Just goodbye and good luck in life. Whatever.

Made me feel very unimportant overall and a bit used. I can say one positive experience is that it opened my eyes a bit to myself and how I am. Thats good. I won't fall for it again from her. Especially since she made it clear she's a hypocrit and liar. That makes it easy. She promised she wouldn't do that to me again.

Its just sad that my last "friend" and last link to my past life outside of family is severed.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:28 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times

Sad to say, but it's usually the case with former childhood friends...it's a normal things, people are wayyy different at 40 than say at 10! and usually they drift apart!

Old 06-22-2009, 06:01 AM

240 posts, read 1,289,681 times
Yes, I have and I no longer deal with those people. You definitely did the right thing!

Old 06-22-2009, 06:17 AM

496 posts, read 941,237 times
Hmmm. For most of my friends, if I'm not hearing from them, I know they're just fiiiiine. And the same from me. My friends and I are often a sounding board for perspectives and useful for working through internal conflicts or difficult emotions. Usually we call each other for emotional support. 3 months can pass without talking and if we need to talk, we pick up right where we left off. There's no resentment.

What does annoy me, however, is my older sister who only calls if she wants something. "I've gotten a job selling [blah blah]. Would your SO be interested in buying some for his work?" OR "Can we borrow your tent for the weekend?"

Totally different from friends who call when they're in turmoil IMO. Obviously, I'm honored rather than insulted that my friends call me when they need emotional support. To me, that's friendship at its finest. It does go both ways.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:18 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
I have little use for fair weather friends. I have no problem telling them to go away and stay away.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:39 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMom2 View Post
Do any of you have "friends" that only seem to talk to you when they have some personal issue they want to vent on you about, are bored at home, or are between relationships at the moment and bail on you the moment things are better for them?
I have a friend who only wants to call or go out when her man goes out of town on business. When he's here, I never hear from her. She called me 2 weeks ago, wanting to go out and have drinks, but I politely chumped her off. Told her I had some things I needed to get done around my house. I could've went out with her, but now that I'm aware of this little pattern of hers, its very easy for me to say NO. She's actually a good friend of mine, and I have no desire to end the friendship with her over this, but I'm just not going to be at her beck and call anymore, whenever her man goes out of town, and she's sitting at home bored.

I've had girlfriends who have chumped me off, before, due to them becoming involved in relationships, and then come back running when those relationships end. I have ZERO tolerance for those types of friendships. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. I may let it happen once, but once I start seeing a pattern, I will distance myself from SAID girlfriend.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:48 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMom2 View Post
Sadly, I have discovered that, as an adult, ALL of the "friendships" that I have made fall into this category. I have two TRUE friends, and both of those friendships are from my childhood.

For the most part, because of our busy day to day lives, most people really only put the time and effort into having a friendship if they hope to benefit from it in some way. At least, this has been my experience.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships