Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 01:30 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

I just turned 26...I know it's pointless, but dread fills my heart with each year I grow older...

I look around at people my age - they seem and look so old! Some are married with children, buying houses, paying off mortgages, they're advanced in their careers. Some of the men are balding, some of the women look like they're going on 40 starting to get wrinkles and stuff. I don't envy them, but it's so scary that so much can happen in just a few years! I've heard women in their mid 20s being called old! I'm mid-20s and I still feel like a teen in some ways. I've been told I look 18. 18 seemed like only yesterday. Youth truly DOES pass in an instant. No wonder they were all living it up, it's gone before you know it. Meanwhile I'm back at home living with parents and feel and my life hasn't really changed at all in the last 10 years or so.

I know I have many years of youth left, I hope, but I feel behind the eight ball. I'm not going to let me get it down, but how many of you feel the same way?

I mean it's not until I saw photos of my friends looking so old that I realized I was closer to 30. I just realized half of my 20s have just passed me by and I'll be an 'adult adult' soon, one of those grownups on those kid's shows.

Life truly is short. And fragile, too.

I sometimes sincerely wish I'd never been born. My life seems like such a waste. All this oppressive anxiety and I've never known the simple joys of romantic love. I'm grateful for family, friends, living in a well-off country, getting to travel and having free time to pursue passions, so maybe I should stop whinging lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 01:32 AM

295 posts, read 554,894 times
seems you need to talk to a professional.

20s is not easy your a adult with a short life history and its not easy

Old 02-13-2012, 02:31 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Yeah, anyone who thinks being in your 20s is a breeze--has forgotten a lot or isn't there yet.

I had heard reference to a "quarter-life crisis" and I used to think it was bollix, but as my daughter and her friends approach that age I can see how difficult it is for this generation to find its feet and sense of who they are. The economy is uncertain, getting ahead in one's career is much slower than previous decades, getting on the housing ladder is tough, everyone is awash in student loans, and your peer group is all over the place in terms of where they are on the maturity scale.

Today's fragmented culture (thanks to the Internet serving up niche entertainment and news) means that there are few universal experiences for Generation Y. So it is easy to be confused and not know what it "means" to be in your mid 20s or what you are supposed to be doing with your life.

My suggestion is to let go of the number that ticks off the years of your life and start seeing it as a journey toward your goals (I hope you have some!). Stop worrying about what is appropriate for someone of your age group and think instead about what is right for YOU.

Easier said than done, but try to replace the negative thoughts about what you haven't done with other thoughts about where you are going and the delicious unknowns of the journey. You have no idea what is around the bend. Take pleasure and excitement in that!

Old 02-13-2012, 02:43 AM

295 posts, read 554,894 times
well when i was in my 20s it was like OMG .....lol 30s i had my feet wet but still immature 40s you start to feel more comfortable with who you are and you are seasoned . I am 47 and 50s i am told is a great age you have life experience and many are working on 2nd careers and you know YOU so well at this point and you know how to deal with BS and enjoy life. baby dont give up. one thing i learned last year get rid of people clutter if the person is not fitting in with you dump them that includes family some people are so toxic that there fungus makes you sick. and do things and suround yourself around things that make YOU happy and all those happy married couples honey most ot fhem are misserable and married and you may be better off being single and sane

Old 02-13-2012, 04:50 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
I have been cleaning my cupboards too lately, getting rid of some toxic people. Some had been there since 1st grade!
turning 50 is not so bad but my health problems became worse so that part is no fun at all. Otherwise I think there's something great about every age and don't let society tell you life is over at this or that age!!

Old 02-13-2012, 05:32 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,286,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAHOE GIRL View Post
well when i was in my 20s it was like OMG .....lol 30s i had my feet wet but still immature 40s you start to feel more comfortable with who you are and you are seasoned . I am 47 and 50s i am told is a great age you have life experience and many are working on 2nd careers and you know YOU so well at this point and you know how to deal with BS and enjoy life. baby dont give up. one thing i learned last year get rid of people clutter if the person is not fitting in with you dump them that includes family some people are so toxic that there fungus makes you sick. and do things and suround yourself around things that make YOU happy and all those happy married couples honey most ot fhem are misserable and married and you may be better off being single and sane
All of my friends, save two, are either married or in relationships. None of them are "miserable."

I don't want to scare the OP but the 50s ain't all that. I'm on the wrong side of being in that age bracket and I'm not enjoying it much at all.

When I was in my 20s it was the best, only because I really enjoyed living in the 1970s.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:41 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I just turned 26...I know it's pointless, but dread fills my heart with each year I grow older...

I look around at people my age - they seem and look so old! Some are married with children, buying houses, paying off mortgages, they're advanced in their careers. Some of the men are balding, some of the women look like they're going on 40 starting to get wrinkles and stuff. I don't envy them, but it's so scary that so much can happen in just a few years! I've heard women in their mid 20s being called old! I'm mid-20s and I still feel like a teen in some ways. I've been told I look 18. 18 seemed like only yesterday. Youth truly DOES pass in an instant. No wonder they were all living it up, it's gone before you know it. Meanwhile I'm back at home living with parents and feel and my life hasn't really changed at all in the last 10 years or so.

I know I have many years of youth left, I hope, but I feel behind the eight ball. I'm not going to let me get it down, but how many of you feel the same way?

I mean it's not until I saw photos of my friends looking so old that I realized I was closer to 30. I just realized half of my 20s have just passed me by and I'll be an 'adult adult' soon, one of those grownups on those kid's shows.

I sometimes sincerely wish I'd never been born. My life seems like such a waste. All this oppressive anxiety and I've never known the simple joys of romantic love. I'm grateful for family, friends, living in a well-off country, getting to travel and having free time to pursue passions, so maybe I should stop whinging lol.
That's not OLD, that's taking care of the responsibilities they have chosen in life. Some people start down that path in their 20's, some start down that path in their 40's.

You feel old because you are living at home with mom and dad, old people.

Oh, and PS...if your friends are looking old to you, they are probably looking at you thinking you look just as old

At 25 we had the house, the job/career, the kids..etc and I didn't feel old. Heck, I'm 37 with 4 kids and I still don't feel old, though I don't go parading around like a 22yr old. Life is what you make of it. I don't handle mine with the white gloves because it's "fragile"...I live it.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:52 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,584,462 times
Well looking around my class room I see 21 year olds looking 40~ and 25 year olds looking 15.
then there's people who act 30 and people who act 15.

bottom line is it shouldn't be a problem, if your "like a 20-year old" just hang out with the other "like 20 year olds" and if ur "like 30 year old" then hang out with those...

I mostly hang out with the older students for some reason, because that's where I find my "social fit".

The women i've been with are also on an average like 8 years older than me.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:54 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:

I kinda feel you.

I'm 23 and still havent finished my degree (hopefully in May) and in a Southern city like Louisville and especially with most of my friends here already having spouses and some with mortages and kids, I feel like I'm going nowhere. Hopefully once I get the degree and get into a more stable job I can feel a little more advanced but still be in a mode to party my off before the 30s descend on me.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:56 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:

Time is intangible. It moves ahead regardless. That said, You are 26! You have a whole life ahead of you. If you take care of yourself properly you will age just fine. Make goals of where you want to go, Who you want to see and what you want to do. Every minute you spend worrying about getting older etc is unnecessary and wastes moments where you could be enjoying yourself. No one lives forever, And as far as it's been known we get ONE life only. I cannot see anything other to do then live it as BEST as ya can. You will be just fine. You posts and writing present you as an intelligent guy/gal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships