Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 10:57 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times

Advertisements

If you don't step away from the computer, you'll never meet people.
On-line friends are one dimensional.

I don't think it's difficult to make friends at all.
I volunteer, take classes that entertain/interest me, I travel, I make myself accessible to the real world.
Your locale probably has a website or mail list where you can meet others who share your interests (outside of the computer).
When I live in the states, it takes me less than a month to hook up with people and meet friends because I find a volunteer group and local people who play pinochle or have other interests in common with me.

It's all about choices.

Don't like your life, only you can change it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 11:03 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
All those are great ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
If you don't step away from the computer, you'll never meet people.
On-line friends are one dimensional.

I don't think it's difficult to make friends at all.
I volunteer, take classes that entertain/interest me, I travel, I make myself accessible to the real world.
Your locale probably has a website or mail list where you can meet others who share your interests (outside of the computer).
When I live in the states, it takes me less than a month to hook up with people and meet friends because I find a volunteer group and local people who play pinochle or have other interests in common with me.

It's all about choices.

Don't like your life, only you can change it.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:17 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,905 times
One reason why it might be difficult to make friends is that I would have to fit the new friend into my routine.

Another reason is that some people already have an idea of what kind of person they would like to have in their life. I may not have what they want.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:13 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
One reason why it might be difficult to make friends is that I would have to fit the new friend into my routine.

Another reason is that some people already have an idea of what kind of person they would like to have in their life. I may not have what they want.
How about you fitting into their routine? See what I mean? We have to give and take.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:17 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
How about you fitting into their routine? See what I mean? We have to give and take.
I was not the one asking the question. Just giving a possible answer.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:40 PM

64 posts, read 376,608 times
I think the World has changed, and thus, People have changed. I find it had (has) been extremely difficult to find and foster a good Friendship with people today. I tried everything, from Craigslist to Facebook, and nothing worked. I finally
gave up. And Yes, I too even cancelled my Facebook account many times. No one was interested, not even family members. I became a non-entity. I decided "people" were not where I was going to put my focus any longer. I'm much
happier!

Old 06-22-2012, 03:21 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,034,235 times
I often see people happily chatting, it could be at a pub, or cycling in a group, or at an eatery, and I think how nice it would be to have friends to talk to.

I used to be a cyclist, I’ve wandered many miles alone, I don’t feel good enough to be a member of any clubs, much as the rest of my life has been.

Last edited by BECLAZONE; 06-22-2012 at 03:32 PM..

Old 06-24-2012, 10:52 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugDaddyNJ View Post
I think the World has changed, and thus, People have changed. I find it had (has) been extremely difficult to find and foster a good Friendship with people today. I tried everything, from Craigslist to Facebook, and nothing worked. I finally
gave up. And Yes, I too even cancelled my Facebook account many times. No one was interested, not even family members. I became a non-entity. I decided "people" were not where I was going to put my focus any longer. I'm much
happier!
Why not try real people instead of simply on-line.
Virtual "friendships" are lame.
There is no interaction other than a keyboard.

Volunteer, get involved in something.
There are other people willing to welcome people who do more than sit behind a keyboard into their lives.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:13 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why not try real people instead of simply on-line.
Virtual "friendships" are lame.
There is no interaction other than a keyboard.

Volunteer, get involved in something.
There are other people willing to welcome people who do more than sit behind a keyboard into their lives.

I disagree. Maybe to those who don't have much to say to each other. I'm not saying that one shouldn't have 'real life' (although friends you communicate with online are just as real, maybe just not friends you see face to see although now you have skype as well) friends - you should, not ALL your friends should be online, but I've made genuinely friends through the net, some of whom I've met and others I hope to meet. They're just as real as my 'real life' friends I hang out with.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:34 AM

224 posts, read 828,427 times
Not every community has volunteer opportunities for real life face to face interactions. I think people on this forum forget not everyone lives in a big city. Some of us live in the boonies. I moved back to the boonies to be near aging family. Small towns are clique-ish. Where I live there is little variety in people, most people belong to one denomination church and are highly bigoted & racist, they are very much uneducated and backwards, they do not accept women who are unmarried and without 5 children and its just plain painful to be around people in town. If there were volunteer opportunities I'm not sure I would attend because I don't like being around the people in my community as they are mean and cruel. Like some here have said they don't fit in.

There is a town I want to eventually move to. I have tried and tried to make friends there and asked to get involved with their volunteer groups and again they reject me and told me they don't need any help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships