Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 02:08 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,783,544 times

Advertisements

There's no greater buzzkill than someone who thinks they're too good for alcohol. I have many friends who don't drink for various reasons. Some hang out, enjoy a soda, and just have a good time with everyone else and you don't even notice they're not drinking. Some stick their nose in the air whenever someone has a drink around them, make snide or condescending comments, and generally pout in the corner because other people don't live their lives just like they do.

There are plenty of good reasons not to drink like a history of alcoholism, health reasons, or it's just not your thing but there is no good reason to be a sourpuss about it because other people enjoy a few drinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 02:29 PM

676 posts, read 1,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
There's no greater buzzkill than someone who thinks they're too good for alcohol. I have many friends who don't drink for various reasons. Some hang out, enjoy a soda, and just have a good time with everyone else and you don't even notice they're not drinking. Some stick their nose in the air whenever someone has a drink around them, make snide or condescending comments, and generally pout in the corner because other people don't live their lives just like they do.

There are plenty of good reasons not to drink like a history of alcoholism, health reasons, or it's just not your thing but there is no good reason to be a sourpuss about it because other people enjoy a few drinks.
Barring any excesses (DWI, getting so drunk as to pick fights, pass out), people who judge one way or the other on drinking annoy me. I find people like the ones you described annoying.

Also, on the flip side, If I'm driving, I'm not having any more than 2. And that's only if I've had a good amount of food to absorb the alcohol, I'm familiar with the route, the weather is good and sight is clear, I'm going to be at the event for a few hours and I'm well rested. If any of that isn't the case, I may have only one or stick to non-alcoholic beverages. Right now, I'm not drinking at all if I'm driving because some medication I'm taking for blood pressure is a diuretic. I find with the decreased volume of water in my body, alcohol hits me harder. Since I'm unsure of my tolerance on this medication, I'd rather play it safe and not drink at all. Even when I'm not driving, I'm drinking more in the way of water/club soda to stay hydrated if I go out.

I've actually had people tell me I could have more than I wanted when I've turned down an alcoholic beverage with "no thanks, I'm driving, I'll take a club soda" and try to convince me to drink more! I don't get it, some of these people are hosts and could be held liable along with me if I were to injure or kill someone else behind the wheel of my car. You would think self interest would dictate respect your guest's decision about their own driving abilities.

I don't push my guests one way or another when I have a party. I make sure there's both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, plenty of food. I offer to let friends who would like to stay over, stay over. My friends are pretty disciplined about either not drinking or only having one or 2 drinks if they're driving, so it's never been an issue for me to cut someone off. I would encourage them to stay with me or take a cab & I'd come get them the next day so they could pick up their car if it was an issue.

I never push the non-drinkers on drinking. People have all sorts of reasons for not drinking. Religious reasons, maybe they don't like the taste, they are driving. And some people may be taking medication which doesn't mix well and they may not want to announce it to everyone. So if a friend who normally would have a couple of drinks doesn't, I don't push it or comment on it.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:21 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:

Ok, then, what about being perfectly willing to go to a happy hour just to be sociable, and have the people with the alcoholic drink in hand give you grief because you ordered a Coke? I've had that happen more than once.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:32 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Ok, then, what about being perfectly willing to go to a happy hour just to be sociable, and have the people with the alcoholic drink in hand give you grief because you ordered a Coke? I've had that happen more than once.
I only get one drink 90% of the time and people always comment. I started leaving early.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:51 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Why is it that, as an adult, alcohol consumption seems to be synonymous with having a good time? It seems like for some people it's not a party, or even recreational gathering, without alcohol. I see pictures all the time on Facebook of former classmates my age (25) or relatives hanging out and reuniting with each other. They'll be on a lake, in front of a boat, each with an ugly beer can in their hand, some with beer coolers. They'll be sitting around a campfire, drinking beer and whiskey. They'll be in a hot tub, holding red plastic cups.

I am not against alcohol. However, as a non-drinker (due to personal reasons stemming way back, not anything having to do with religion) who hates the taste of pretty much any alcohol, I don't see why it's so necessary that whenever fun is had, there must be drinking involved. Maybe it's just escapism?
I personally do not really like the taste of beer. I am also not a drinker. Unfortunately, I slipped and ended up drinking for. Usually I cut it at 2. (I get really peaceful and calm at under 2 drinks) All of a sudden, I'm stumbling and laughing my ass off.

But yeah, I don't believe that you have to drink to have fun.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:04 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Just say, "Awww, man. Don't be a douche." And leave it at that. A person who thinks you should be drinking is no better than a person who thinks you should not be drinking.

However, the very worst ones are recovering alcoholics. Because they can't handle the sauce, they feel the need to hold forth on those who do, even when the consumption is quite moderate.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:31 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,783,544 times
Quote:
People really should be more conscientious about the possible reasons you're not drinking. I'd hate to embarrass someone by pointing out they're not drinking, only to find out they have an alcoholic parent or something along those lines.

But honestly, they're just trying to get you to relax and be part of the group. I don't think they're trying to be judgemental or push you to make bad decisions, drinking just happens to be a group activity and is more fun when more people partake. It's like a pool party. You may not like the water or be unable to swim, unbeknownst to everyone else, but people are probably going to push you to dive on in because it's what the group is doing.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:55 PM

676 posts, read 1,261,787 times
Quote:
People really should be more conscientious about the possible reasons you're not drinking. I'd hate to embarrass someone by pointing out they're not drinking, only to find out they have an alcoholic parent or something along those lines.

But honestly, they're just trying to get you to relax and be part of the group. I don't think they're trying to be judgemental or push you to make bad decisions, drinking just happens to be a group activity and is more fun when more people partake. It's like a pool party. You may not like the water or be unable to swim, unbeknownst to everyone else, but people are probably going to push you to dive on in because it's what the group is doing.
Yeah, but there are plenty of good reasons for people not drinking. If they're not being judgemental and crticizing the drinkers, why bother the non-drinkers? If they're female I've even see people speculate about them being pregnant for not drinking. It's none of anyone else's business why someone isn't drinking and it's an obnoxious invasion of privacy to keep pushing it after the person's declined, for whatever reason they may have. Some people are in recovery, but say, don't want to announce it to their co-workers.

I think people who need to comment critically on normal social drinking or non-drinking both have problems. When I don't drink, I don't care what the drinkers are doing so as long as they're not driving while impaired, passing out or causing fights. When I'm drinking, I don't care that others choose not to, beyond offering to buy them a non-alcoholic beverage when I'm going up to the bar or offering a non-alcoholic beverage when I'm hosting.

I have an acquaintance who got pulled over for erratic driving. He's smartened up and learned his lesson. Doesn't drink to excess if he's driving. But he'll stand back and make all sorts of snide comments about people who have 2-3 drinks.

The people yelling, "c'mon have a drink" at the people who've chosen not to drink are just as annoying. It's almost like they're trying to justify their behavior by getting more people to do it.

What they both have in common is that they're uncomfortable with their own choices so they have to project that onto other people. That's not fair to the other people.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:58 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Why is it that, as an adult, alcohol consumption seems to be synonymous with having a good time?
I'll drink to that!

Old 08-15-2012, 02:24 PM

791 posts, read 1,434,157 times
I quit for 16 years. To avoid awkwardness, I used to say, "no, no drink for me now. Doctors orders!" or some such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships