Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 03:09 PM

29 posts, read 46,354 times

Advertisements

What happened to "good morning," "good afternoon," or a simple hello? Everywhere I go in public the canned greeting is "how are you?" Of course the standard response is fine or great. But how many of us are fine or great all the time? Most of us are frustrated, angry, scared and irritated.

So when I am asked "how are you?" I decided to be different and reply: "Not so good" or angry, frustrated, scared or irritated. Only once in a while will the person at the store or service provider get the joke and respond to my comments or express their interest or concern. Usually they look at me funny and write me off as a nut. (They are problem right!) Then when they don't respond nicely I ask them why they asked me how I was if they really don't want to know. that gets them even more irratated and they have that look that says, I" sure hope this crazy man goes away soon!"

Anyone else tired of people always saying "how are you?" and not really being curious?

Old 10-05-2012, 03:35 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Do you really work in Human Resources? Seriously?

No, most of us do not go around angry, frustrated, scared or irritated. Sometimes I'm bored and tetchy during the workday, but mostly I'm happy. With ADD and some associated OCD and depression issues (minor, thankfully), I have to work really hard at that sometimes, but generally, I am delighted with my life.

Further, when I ask someone how they are, I genuinely want to know. Granted, my colleagues will generally just give me the more uplifting highlights (this is how I found out about one dude's adorable new baby girl), but with friends and family they will go into more detail and share both the good and the bad.

Look, no offense, but you could seriously do with some therapy, just based on what you've said here. The feelings you indicate should not be anyone's "normal."

Old 10-05-2012, 03:48 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
Yep, what Jrz said. I get asked how are you a million times a day by coworkers and people I meet out and about and it never offends me. The standard answer is I'm fine or good...

I don't know why so many people are so mortally offended by small talk, exchanging hellos and how are you's...if I'm having a bad day I call a friend or family member to chat. I don't take out my anger on coworkers or people just trying to be polite.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:02 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
Ah...another new voice just wanting to vent on a forum.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:10 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
You're about to pop, aren't you? If someone asks me in passing how I am doing, I am great. If someone cares, then maybe I will tell them that I am not so great. Don't tell strangers, customers that you are angry or frustrated. You'll just scare them.

Jrz nailed it. There is something wrong here and something needs to be done.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:14 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Resources Expert View Post
What happened to "good morning," "good afternoon," or a simple hello? Everywhere I go in public the canned greeting is "how are you?" Of course the standard response is fine or great. But how many of us are fine or great all the time? Most of us are frustrated, angry, scared and irritated.

So when I am asked "how are you?" I decided to be different and reply: "Not so good" or angry, frustrated, scared or irritated. Only once in a while will the person at the store or service provider get the joke and respond to my comments or express their interest or concern. Usually they look at me funny and write me off as a nut. (They are problem right!) Then when they don't respond nicely I ask them why they asked me how I was if they really don't want to know. that gets them even more irratated and they have that look that says, I" sure hope this crazy man goes away soon!"

Anyone else tired of people always saying "how are you?" and not really being curious?

I just say tolerable but having a decent day and leave it at that. I see nothing wrong with asking how are you, someone is trying to be nice and considerate. It sounds like you need at minimum a 4 day weekend to destress and relax but I would consider at least a week if not two to fully recharge.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:27 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:

I have worked with the public for 54 years and, yeah, it's kinda 'mandatory' to say "How are you today?". I AM really curious and want to know. If they are "good" or "great" then I can be pretty much assured they aren't going to be grumpy with me. They ask me back too. I always say "good" or "great" because it's true. Sometimes I even say "I'm excellant, thank you!", and it's true. One guy I said that to looked surprised and said, "You are??". I said, "Yes, I are!". I've also had customers tell me they aren't feeling very well, they've been sick or in the hospital or other stuff and I DO care enough to make their 'shopping experience' easier. I like my customers, have fun with them and I won't worry that you might come in contact with me and get irritated if I ask how you are.

I remember one time, in a restaurant, I told a lady to "Have a good day!". She looked pissy and said "I don't know why you people say that because you don't mean it". I told her that yes, I did mean it, but she was welcome to have any sort of day she wanted to. I wasn't rude about it but I meant that too.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:28 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,329 times
I've seen people use both. I admit that after hearing, "Hi/hello/hey" for so long, I was so surprised by this statement I didn't even answer. My professor looked at me like, "...?" when I didn't respond. Oh, is this the new accepted greeting?

Old 10-06-2012, 12:46 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
I got on an elevator once and someone asked me "How are you" my response, "I SUCK?"

Old 10-06-2012, 02:29 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
But how many of us are fine or great all the time? Most of us are frustrated, angry, scared and irritated.
No, most people aren't great all the time but equally, most people also aren't frustrated, angry, scared and irritated all/most of the time either. If that's how you usually feel, there is something wrong and you should speak to a therapist.

Quote:

They ask because it's polite, not because they expect a perfect stranger to bare their intimate emotions to them. You are taking your anger and frustration out on people who don't deserve it. They look at you funny possibly because they can see you might be suffering from something like depression and it makes them uncomfortable because they don't even know you and don't know what to do. You need help and maybe your behavior regarding this is a cry for help. But it's misdirected. Please seek out a therapist who can help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships