Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 09:30 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times

Advertisements

but i am aware and in perspective (i think i'm an empath) of others misfortune but it doesn't make me feel better that someone else has it worst, in fact it makes me feel worst that they have it worst because i can't stop their suffering or mines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I know how this will go though - you'll argue and dispute anyone who disagrees with you.
yea you don't know me

Old 10-24-2012, 09:41 AM

496 posts, read 941,237 times
It really is just another way of saying "Count your blessings." I see what you're saying, I think... that thinking of others who have circumstances that are even worse can make you even more sad/down. I have this problem - getting a bit down about all of the horrifying pain/abuse/destruction that people or animals are suffering every day. It does *not* make me feel better about what I have, but what does make me feel better is rejoicing in the strength that people and animals exercise through their existence. Another way to think of it is "Think of those who have it worse..." and are still strong in their faith/happiness/resolve/way of being.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:46 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
lol i hate that. when you feel bad, somebody says something
stupid that they thought would help you feel better but it
only makes you feel worse. you will be like "thanks a lot,
genius!"

Old 10-24-2012, 09:51 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
First it your topic has nothing to do with relationships unless you are being specific to a relationship.
After that people are trying to help you move along because they are trying to be nice or they are tired of hearing every moment of every day how terrible your life is even though most of the time the choices YOU have made are making your life so terrible and you don't do anything to change it besides make MORE bad choices and the circle goes around again.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazejen View Post
. Another way to think of it is "Think of those who have it worse..." and are still strong in their faith/happiness/resolve/way of being.
ah yes, i like it when the misfortunate rise to the top.. but no one never tells me about those people , they just tell me about the helpless who may never be saved.. but i really do like when people rise up, those are the kind of people who stay with me and give me hope for a better tomorrow.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
First it your topic has nothing to do with relationships unless you are being specific to a relationship.
After that people are trying to help you move along because they are trying to be nice or they are tired of hearing every moment of every day how terrible your life is even though most of the time the choices YOU have made are making your life so terrible and you don't do anything to change it besides make MORE bad choices and the circle goes around again.
i just didn't want it to go to the non-romantic relationships because they don't get as many replies as relationship forum
then again i have no idea where it would go if it doesn't go to either one of these

Old 10-24-2012, 11:33 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
i just didn't want it to go to the non-romantic relationships because they don't get as many replies as relationship forum
then again i have no idea where it would go if it doesn't go to either one of these

It will likely go to mental health.

I agree that it doesn't help to be told to chin up by saying to someone, think how much more fortunate you are in comparison to others. However, as others have said, it's putting things into perspective and not spending an insufferable amount of time wallowing in self pity that can sometimes bring us out of that place of glum and doom. I too feel others peoples pain deeply, ( I've have to watch myself about that sometimes,) but when I or others wallow in what ails us, savor it, make it an everyday mantra, I lose patience and won't contribute to a pity party even if it's my own pity party. To me snapping out of it, seeking, counsel, what ever way is appropriate for the individual if it the pain goes to deep to handle on ones own, doing something other than just rinse and repeat and never a positive result other than to bug the heck out of those closest to you, to me is what works best.

But again to what you first said, I would, rightfully, want to smack someone that said that to me if not being a person that wallows in self-pity. That slap, in and of its-self, would probably make me feel oodles better

Last edited by TRosa; 10-24-2012 at 11:54 AM..

Old 10-24-2012, 11:38 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,421,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Because no one cares about your problems and they just want to shut you up using any methods possible.
oh man my sides hurt.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:51 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
If I am down, don't ever tell me to think about people that have it worse. That will really send me over the edge. I don't know how to feel about people that feel better knowing that there are others in worse pain than they are. If anything, it makes me feel guilty that I can't do anything about other people's pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships