Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 10:16 AM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times

Advertisements

We know some people, friends of friends, and these people seem to not have any sense in their heads.

The couple are in the late 40's early fifties and they have two kids, 19 yr old daughter and a son who is 16. The daughter is a spoiled immature little turd. She barely graduated HS, she used to be working part time as a hostess in a restaurant. She's living at home and she has her BF living in her bedroom with her. I don't think he has a job right now. His dad just passed recently and he is having a hard time of that, apparently... So I can't blame him too much for that. But, the daughter is living there rent free, not going to any kind of careering training or college. Was working part time, she quit her job to be with her BF.

I don't know.. I just find this living situation weird. I mean really... They both should be in school or work or some combo of both. They should contributing some how to the household.

That's the way I see it.

The Dad.... nice guy, but just a spineless dude. The wife is an obnoxious pig... just a simple way to describe her, I could give a plethora of reasons, I don't want to go off there. Anyways I just can't imagine a grown man letting some dude live at his house, sleep with his daughter in her room and neither one don't appear to contributing.

This wouldn't fly in my home.

This may fly if it was very temporary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 10:19 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,954,478 times
That wouldn't have flown with my folks.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:27 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
We know some people, friends of friends, and these people seem to not have any sense in their heads.

The couple are in the late 40's early fifties and they have two kids, 19 yr old daughter and a son who is 16. The daughter is a spoiled immature little turd. She barely graduated HS, she used to be working part time as a hostess in a restaurant. She's living at home and she has her BF living in her bedroom with her. I don't think he has a job right now. His dad just passed recently and he is having a hard time of that, apparently... So I can't blame him too much for that. But, the daughter is living there rent free, not going to any kind of careering training or college. Was working part time, she quit her job to be with her BF.

I don't know.. I just find this living situation weird. I mean really... They both should be in school or work or some combo of both. They should contributing some how to the household.

That's the way I see it.

The Dad.... nice guy, but just a spineless dude. The wife is an obnoxious pig... just a simple way to describe her, I could give a plethora of reasons, I don't want to go off there. Anyways I just can't imagine a grown man letting some dude live at his house, sleep with his daughter in her room and neither one don't appear to contributing.

This wouldn't fly in my home.

This may fly if it was very temporary.

Sadly, my friend, too many people don't have the stamina to be parents.

They abdicate their responsibilities long before their kids are grown.

Whole societies/cultures suffer for the laziness and lack of integrity of such parents.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sadly, my friend, too many people don't have the stamina to be parents.

They abdicate their responsibilities long before their kids are grown.

Whole societies/cultures suffer for the laziness and lack of integrity of such parents.
Yeah... often get criticized by people when I criticize their parenting skills because we don't have any kids ourselves.

I don't think that has any bearing on me being able to look at a situation and use common sense.

The thing about the dad is that he is doing his children a disservice, he's doing society a disservice, and just a general lack of balls I find to be annoying... sorry to be crude here.

I used to be involved with hiring and training and mentoring of new/younger hires. I find that there seems to such an entitlement mentality... yeah, yeah, I know... every generation says the same thing... "these kids today"... but I think the rate at which things are declining... sort of scares me...

I wonder where this country is going to be in the next 25 yrs......

Old 05-18-2013, 10:49 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Neither my parents nor my siblings would tolerate that with their kids, either.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Neither my parents nor my siblings would tolerate that with their kids, either.
What seemed to happened with my generation and their parenting skills. I'm low 40's (gen x'er) it seems like a lot of my peers seemed to have just completely dropped the ball in terms of parenting..... IDK..... I know that is a wide generalization, but seen it enough to seriously question it.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:24 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,818,345 times
I wouldn't tolerate that crap, either. It's just a matter of time before a baby takes up residence and all the crap that brings with 2 immature parents.

I don't get it. I see this with a lot of people I know (I'm 54). Mostly co-workers. Son or daughter move in their SO, sometimes pregnant already, they're excited about it at first (the pregnant ones), then slowly start complaining about the situation. I told one lady exactly how it was going to go when her son moved the pregnant gf in, but she just pooh-poohed me because "what do I know, I don't have kids! I don't know what I'm talking about." So when she started complaining, I just told her "I told you so, and now it sucks to be you." She didn't tell me much after that. Sometimes they have to be hit between the eyes before they see a problem right under their nose.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:40 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,139,352 times
If I had a teenage daughter it would be a cold day in hell before a guy would be living with her under my roof while she lets her life slip downhill by having no responsibility whatsoever.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:44 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
As the 'youts' of today say...

"Heck, to the no!"

Well, sort of.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
That wouldn't have flown in my house either. I've read a few threads in the Parenting forum in the last few years that lead me to believe some parents don't make their expectations of adult children known until it is too late. I knew for years that I was expected to go to college. If, for some reason, I was to take a break or drop out, all financial support including living in their house, was off. I was smart enough to know I couldn't afford that as a part time waitress.

As for the BF moving in, no way on hell. I just knew that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships