Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 07:26 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
There was a recent case in which a teen drove drunk on New Years, then posted about it on Facebook. Two of his facebook friends contacted the police and he is now being charged with a DUI (they also have other evidence, like paint from his car on the damaged vehicle.)

He had over 600 'friends', so these may not have people who knew him personally.

If you saw someone post something that suggests they were involved in a crime, would you contact police? Does it make a difference if the crime was violent in nature? Does how close you are to that person make a difference?

Link to one of the news articles about the case:
DUI Facebook post lands Oregon teen in jail | kvue.com Austin

This of course is hardly the first time someone has been turned in due to posting something incriminating.

Edited to add this was the message that was posted

"Drivin drunk... classsic but to whoever's vehicle i hit i am sorry. :P."
Look, if you're stupid enough to post your illegal activities on a public social network, then you DESERVE to be arrested for it.

What happened to the days of doing something bad and KEEPING IT TO YOURSELF??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 08:39 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
I would, and have.

I am Facebook friends with an acquaintance from elementary - high school. She dropped out at 16 to have her first child and had her 2nd at 18, but when I caught back up with her a few years ago, she seemed to be doing well. Then it started to get weird - a brand new luxury car every few months for her or her husband, a set of twins, a luxury apartment in downtown Dallas, fancy trips, etc. Something many of us strive for, but not something you expect of a 22 year old high school dropout who is a stay at home mom and her 24 year old husband (the father of her twins).

Then the drug posts started. I sent her a message telling her that if she was willing to friend me, there are probably other friends who she doesn't know well. What if there was a cop? She was polite in her response and cut out the posts about her drug use, claiming she only did it at a friend's house when the kids weren't around.

Then her husband tagged her name in a photo at their house with a huge quantity of marijuana in bags - at least 20 pounds - and a few guns. It absolutely confirmed my suspicions and at that point, I called the local police and DFCS. There are 4 kids under 6 in the house or else I honestly might have ignored it otherwise.

I don't know if anything came of it, but her Facebook has certainly gotten much cleaner.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:21 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
It seems to me that, if someone posts on Facebook that they did or are doing something illegal, they are for all intents and purposes turning their self in, even if not directly.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:36 AM

385 posts, read 615,344 times
DUI plus hit and run? Yes, I'd take a screenshot and call it in.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:50 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
Like most others, it depends on what they did.

And, if they are stupid enough to post it in an open forum....then I'd have a hard time feeling sorry for them.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:47 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
If i read that on twitter or FB . . . I would assume the person was trying to be amusing (like a stand up comic).

I am surprised others read that comment and thought the person was being serious.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:57 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
It seems to me that, if someone posts on Facebook that they did or are doing something illegal, they are for all intents and purposes turning their self in, even if not directly.
I agree, which is a good thing, cause I would NEVER turn anyone in to the cops.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:58 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If i read that on twitter or FB . . . I would assume the person was trying to be amusing (like a stand up comic).

I am surprised others read that comment and thought the person was being serious.
I figure that's what a good lawyer could say...if he can afford one.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:45 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
Is there a reward?
Exactly.

If I'm gonna be a snitch, it better be worth my while.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:33 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
There was a recent case in which a teen drove drunk on New Years, then posted about it on Facebook. Two of his facebook friends contacted the police and he is now being charged with a DUI (they also have other evidence, like paint from his car on the damaged vehicle.)

He had over 600 'friends', so these may not have people who knew him personally.

If you saw someone post something that suggests they were involved in a crime, would you contact police? Does it make a difference if the crime was violent in nature? Does how close you are to that person make a difference?

Link to one of the news articles about the case:
DUI Facebook post lands Oregon teen in jail | kvue.com Austin

This of course is hardly the first time someone has been turned in due to posting something incriminating.

Edited to add this was the message that was posted

"Drivin drunk... classsic but to whoever's vehicle i hit i am sorry. :P."
If they wrote it like that, all nonchalant, care free and thinking it was funny, damn straight I would. They crashed in to someone's car and left, because they were drunk. Not funny. At all.

Yes, I would report a friend.

The good news is, I don't have friends who act like this idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships