Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 11:27 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times

Advertisements

I have identical twin sisters, they always competed and haven't spoken for 15yrs ago. I blame the separation on moms parenting. They were never really close.

A friend's married to a twin. The two (guys), haven't been on speaking terms for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 01:47 PM

476 posts, read 1,296,903 times
Two of my kids are twins. They are very close and probably will be for life. I think both being girls, being into the same things, being the same age etc all contributes to why they are so close. I have two sisters, and I am 11 months apart from one of them. We grew up very close also. It's like a built-in playmate and partner for life. May we all have someone like that! They are lucky!

Old 01-31-2018, 12:12 PM

3 posts, read 1,679 times
From my person al experience twins seem to have a stronger and closer relation ships than they do whith there other siblings. Some of my friends are twins and they under and older siblings, I've seen them all and the twins definitely have a better relationship than whit the other siblings

Old 01-31-2018, 02:28 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,265 times
My husband is a twin. Coincidentally, his twin brother has twin sons of his own.

Anyway, yes, Husband and Twin are close. Their personalities are very opposite (one even tempered, the other very emotional), but they did everything together growing up. They were in the same grade, so they had (and still have) the same friends, went home from school together, hung out with their friends together. At home, they cooked and washed dishes together. They took out the garbage together. They repaired something broken in the house together. It took me a long time to realize that they did everything together because they didn't want to do anything alone.

These days, Husband starts every sentence about his childhood with, "Twin and I..."

About Twin's own Twin Sons, I have 2 boys of my own (regular bros) and they play with each other differently than Twin Sons do. They're all around the same age (9-10 years old), so it's easy to observe.

When my boys play together, they sit side-by-side, shoulder-to-shoulder, while talking to each other. You can tell they're more like friends. But when Twin Sons play together, they sit and turn to face each other, touch each other's faces, get within an inch of each other's faces, put their hands on each other's body, while talking. They actually look like they're in love with each other. Must be the twin thing.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:40 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
My husband is a twin. Coincidentally, his twin brother has twin sons of his own.

Anyway, yes, Husband and Twin are close. Their personalities are very opposite (one even tempered, the other very emotional), but they did everything together growing up. They were in the same grade, so they had (and still have) the same friends, went home from school together, hung out with their friends together. At home, they cooked and washed dishes together. They took out the garbage together. They repaired something broken in the house together. It took me a long time to realize that they did everything together because they didn't want to do anything alone.

These days, Husband starts every sentence about his childhood with, "Twin and I..."

About Twin's own Twin Sons, I have 2 boys of my own (regular bros) and they play with each other differently than Twin Sons do. They're all around the same age (9-10 years old), so it's easy to observe.

When my boys play together, they sit side-by-side, shoulder-to-shoulder, while talking to each other. You can tell they're more like friends. But when Twin Sons play together, they sit and turn to face each other, touch each other's faces, get within an inch of each other's faces, put their hands on each other's body, while talking. They actually look like they're in love with each other. Must be the twin thing.
aaww.

but identical twins always creeped me out. which one am i talking to???

Old 01-31-2018, 03:22 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,643,365 times
My nephews are identical triplets! (even more rare), they are extremely close, and don’t like to be apart from each other for very long. They are still young kids, but I think multiples have a special lifelong bond that other siblings don’t share as much.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:18 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,431,751 times
Mom and her twin sister never lived further than 20 miles apart for all but one year of their lives. They spoke on the phone daily. When Aunt had a brain tumor, during the recovery she only spoke in "twin speak." Mom had to translate everything until Aunt's husband learned their language.

Dad died in 2004 and Mom was devastated; they were married 58 years. But when Aunt died in 2007, Mom was crushed. The most constant link in her life was now gone. She did take Aunt's loss much harder than losing the love of her life.

The twin thing is very, very real.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:39 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,157,453 times
My maternal grandmother was an identical twin. She and her twin were extremely close and when her twin died at 22 of an illness she pined away for her the rest of her life basically according to my mom and that after she was born my grandma wanted to name her after her twin but someone strongly advised against it so she didn't.

Otoh my brothers new partner is also identical twin and they don't get along and aren't close.

I do believe from some reading and research I did years ago that twins overall do share a different type of a much closer and even psychic bond- one twin in New York gets sick and other twin in Texas feels it. So I wonder for the twins who don't get along such as my brothers partner that they probably still share a close and even somewhat psychic bond even if they don't get along

Old 02-05-2018, 08:12 PM

560 posts, read 540,116 times
My nephews are fraternal twins, and I'm not sure if it's just them due to personality or being raised in a large family but they don't seem particularly close as twins, brothers yes. They also have a older sister (Irish twin) and two younger brothers. To us for many years beyond the infant years, they always just seemed more of sibling/brother relationship and people are often surprised to find they're twins. They don't even look alike, but you can tell they're brothers though.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:36 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times
I have two brothers who are a year older than me. They were identical twins and did everything together and looked exactly alike. One passed away shortly after high school and the living one just seems to only reflect on his past and I get the feeling he feels he is somehow incomplete without his twin. Kinda sad really as he has not amounted to anything in life and years have gone by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships