Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 10:35 AM

400 posts, read 1,509,234 times

Advertisements

i guess it depends on your high school experience. its always good to see a old friend that you once cared for but probably not so good to see a high school bully or gossip. if its someone i dont care to see just smile, say hi and go on about your business. but its a bit natural for most people to want to catch up a bit. with facebook and twitter its like a high school reunion everyday. so much easier to stay in touch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 11:00 AM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Just wait until the 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th, etc., etc.-- reunions.

Those folks who never said a word to you will behave as if you were and are good buddies

And you know some of the arse holes will turn out the nice ones, and some of the nice ones end up old arse holes.

Go figure.
Good points here. Good thread BTW!

When I think of my 10th re-union (1978), I think of the bravado of the guys passing out business cards, sticking out their chests talking about their college degrees, the businesses they've started, etc.

When I think of my 20th reunion, I think of how my states economy went ka-thud! And how those same guys asked at the 20th reunion, "how's everything with your family?" "How's the flat economy been affecting you?" And on and on.

I had a good experience in high school for the most part. I was involved with sports all three years. But I had very little to do with the jocks in football and basketball as I did NOT like them and the feeling was quite mutual with them towards me (most of them anyway.) I hung out with a variety of guys I befriended in either a specific school class, or guys in my neighborhood, or one of the members of the church I attended. None of those guys had a lot going for them in the popularity category, much less sports, but they were my friends nonetheless. As my sports teammates would point out that I could get along better with them if I hung out with them more. I told them that that's not how I pick my friends.

And those friends were amongst my closest friends for 45 plus years. Three of them have passed on in the last couple years. I miss them.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 03-02-2013 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 03-02-2013, 02:50 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Maybe it's a sign of the times...

Dad was always close to many in his High School class.. the reunions were always well attended...

Fast forward to my time and it's not so much so... many relocate and that old feeling of being rooted in the community just isn't there... one reunion was cancelled because they couldn't get the minimum to reserve the hall...

Old 03-11-2013, 06:42 PM

36 posts, read 52,416 times
I've seen one girl from my high school and she said hi to me and I just said hi and I walked away. I don't like her so why should I be fake and have a conversation with her. Even if I did see someone from high school and they spoke to me, I would be like umm who are you.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:47 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
I don't see why someone should look forward to running into people who made your life a living hell in high school. That would just bring all of those horrible experiences back to the forefront.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:55 PM

36 posts, read 52,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I don't see why someone should look forward to running into people who made your life a living hell in high school. That would just bring all of those horrible experiences back to the forefront.
I would love for people to see me from high school just to see how beautiful I am.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:28 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
I don't like it either. I try to avoid them whenever possible. As far as people being open to talking to you, maybe that's not so bad. You may find it insulting but keep in mind that when you get out of high school, people don't feel like they have to limit themselves on who they talk to anymore and maybe start talking to people they never talked to.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:52 PM

807 posts, read 1,353,981 times
I enjoyed high school. Had a lot of great times. Really depends on the person I run into. I got along with most people. Our 10 year reunion is this year, but I won't be going. I'm become really anti-social since then.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:02 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestJ23 View Post
Good post. The person who responded to you obviously doesn't know what it's like to be terrorized or ostracized simply for having the nerve to show up to class. A flippant 'get over it'...just doesn't work. That being said, I really dislike running into people that I used to know from school because I don't want to talk to or have anything else to do with them.

The person Dissenter responded to, most certainly DOES know what it felt like to be terrorized and ostrasized. The difference is, I didn't hide in the corner. If I got bullied, I defended myself. If I saw someone else being bullied, I defended them. Even though I was a female, i still got the reputation of "You do NOT want to poke the bear! (That's the really nice way of saying what I mean) Did it stop the frigging nasty remarks or a few kids from whispering and hiding "in plain sight" from authority figures, while they did their rotten bullying crap? No, it didn't.

Here's the hilarious part. I was a FARM girl..tough as nails and pretty near as strong as a whole lot of men, by the time I was in 8th grade. Eighth grade came to a close....summer vacation and moved up to the high school, where we were now the "underdogs"...the little freshmen....frest MEAT for the upper-classmen. Hmmmm guess who ALL the "mean little snots from junior high" wanted to be their best friend? Hahahahah.....Oh man, karma's a real bi*ch~

I handled high school the same way as junior high....nice to everyone, but do NOT be mean to me or let me catch you being mean to someone else, either..or I would step in and stop it. Maybe it helped, being the youngest of 9 kids. I mean, it's like a small-town kid slammed into the ghetto school. If you're not used to being REALLY tough and "defensive", it's a shock when you're the target of someone who's really good at being cruel and getting away with it. When you LIVE with that, you know how to deal with it.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:06 AM

191 posts, read 242,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
The person Dissenter responded to, most certainly DOES know what it felt like to be terrorized and ostrasized. The difference is, I didn't hide in the corner. If I got bullied, I defended myself. If I saw someone else being bullied, I defended them. Even though I was a female, i still got the reputation of "You do NOT want to poke the bear! (That's the really nice way of saying what I mean) Did it stop the frigging nasty remarks or a few kids from whispering and hiding "in plain sight" from authority figures, while they did their rotten bullying crap? No, it didn't.

Here's the hilarious part. I was a FARM girl..tough as nails and pretty near as strong as a whole lot of men, by the time I was in 8th grade. Eighth grade came to a close....summer vacation and moved up to the high school, where we were now the "underdogs"...the little freshmen....frest MEAT for the upper-classmen. Hmmmm guess who ALL the "mean little snots from junior high" wanted to be their best friend? Hahahahah.....Oh man, karma's a real bi*ch~

I handled high school the same way as junior high....nice to everyone, but do NOT be mean to me or let me catch you being mean to someone else, either..or I would step in and stop it. Maybe it helped, being the youngest of 9 kids. I mean, it's like a small-town kid slammed into the ghetto school. If you're not used to being REALLY tough and "defensive", it's a shock when you're the target of someone who's really good at being cruel and getting away with it. When you LIVE with that, you know how to deal with it.
Good it worked out for you but it doesn't go that way for most people.A person shouldn't have to take on the persona of a badass to deal with people who decide,for whatever reason, that you're a weirdo and should be picked on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships