Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 03:26 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,344,251 times

Advertisements

Sounds like some real sour people in Maryland.
Hope it's not too many.
Fiddlekitten- you did your job and did it well. Keep chatting and smiling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 10:04 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
As long as they aren't rude, I say it's OK. They're human. I work in the public as a receptionist. I know when I'm in a better mood, I'm friendlier and chattier than when I 'm not. Maybe I should be "bubbly" all the time, but that's just not the way it is. People that work in the public should at least be polite however.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:46 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,181 times
In South Carolina, chitchat in most stores is the norm.

However, I dont believe its the "responsibility" of the salesperson/clerk to speak to you or anyone else beyond " Hello" and "Have a Nice Day".

My employer can make me do alot of things for my paycheck, but speaking to a customer beyond the phrases above is not, and should not be my "responsibility". If a clerk doesnt want to talk, then its up to he/she. All they are required to do is their job.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:51 AM

973 posts, read 3,305,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
Nearly every morning I stop at a local Safeway and pick up a USA Today and a few groceries. While there are some friendly people at the store, the check out folks are cold as ice. Every morning I try to be friendly by passing on some brief small talk just to see if I get any response. Rarely will I get even a grunt. On the other hand they are efficent and do say "how are you" when I approach and Thankyou when I leave. (Both overly scripted)

Do you feel like it is the responsibility of a customer service/retail sales person to reply in kind when I attempt some type of small talk?
Oh Goody!!!!! Another opportunity to talk about poor customer service. One of my biggest pet peeves.

Anyone who has contact with a customer needs to learn the basics of good CS skills. Yes, you may get crappy customers from time to time but it is your job to be Professional and Polite. Period! The company did not hire you to bring your crappy, I hate people attitude to work and guess what....You can and should be replaced if that's the best you can do.

So, all you cashiers, wait staff, receptionists, salespeople, etc......

You were hired to do a job. Common sense (which some of you lack) dictates that if you want repeat customers or a good tip, it will require that you use some of those muscles in your face to smile and speak to the customer. I don't expect for you to jump through hoops of fire to kiss my booty but I do expect to hear a "Good Morning," "Have a nice day," Please come again," or "Did you find what you were looking for?" A sincere smile as opposed to a grimace or even bared teeth is also a nice touch. As for CS people engaging me in small talk...No, I don't expect it but if somebody does make the effort to be friendly, I will gladly reciprocate.

Not everyone is cut out to work in the Customer Service industry. If you are one of them, do yourself and everyone else a favor and find a different job more suited to your personality.

There are also plenty of rude, hateful or ill-mannered people who are the kind of customer that can make any customer service representative cringe. Don't be one of them, folks.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:56 AM

251 posts, read 767,808 times
this is a tough one because customer service ties to human emotions.

i've pretty much been a cashier (on and off) for a little over a year (one for a bookstore and another for outdoor wear) and i'm one of those people who want talks to customers if it's something that i can talk about... i can also understand if people can want to buy things and leave.

however, with the jobs i had comes the part of selling stuff to a customer... so yeah, small talk will have to be established at some point.

i think it's all about a balance act... don't look like you just got out of bed but don't be unprofessional and be best friends with that person.

Quote:
Nearly every morning I stop at a local Safeway and pick up a USA Today and a few groceries. While there are some friendly people at the store, the check out folks are cold as ice. Every morning I try to be friendly by passing on some brief small talk just to see if I get any response. Rarely will I get even a grunt. On the other hand they are efficent and do say "how are you" when I approach and Thankyou when I leave. (Both overly scripted)

Do you feel like it is the responsibility of a customer service/retail sales person to reply in kind when I attempt some type of small talk?

Old 10-16-2008, 11:07 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,794 times
I don't mind small talk if the cashier is able to talk and ring groceries at the same time.But, I have run into a lot of cashiers that once they start talking they slow way down. I would rather not have to stand in line and wait while the workers chit chat with customers and take forever. Big, big, big pet peeve of mine. Just say a friendly hi and thank you and let me be on my way.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:43 AM

468 posts, read 580,660 times
Quote:

Oh I hope not! I hate when clerks engage in conversations with customers,because sometimes they're both so bored that they'll get into long conversations and I just want to keep things moving along!
The scripted stuff isn't always bad,if they don't look like they're forcing it. Why bother then?

Old 10-16-2008, 11:53 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
I don't think that salepeople or customer service people owe me any pleasantries. All I ask is for them to be professional and fast in their job. And if there is a line behind me, I certainly don't want to slow their work pace down with small talk.

I usually pay my cable bill in person. It's a small office and only two women work there. Sometimes my boyfriend goes with me. Once last year when I was by myself, one of the Comcast ladies commented that she thought my boyfriend was cute. I think that she wasn't sure what our relationship was and it was a tactful way of finding out. Just yesterday, when my boyfriend went to go get his haircut, the hairdresser thought he was in high school.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:05 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:

Yes, when you initiate it, they should be POLITE and respond to you. However, there ARE customers who would talk your ear off if you'd let them...and you DO have a job to do also.

How do you suggest disengaging from these people politely?

Old 10-16-2008, 02:07 PM

468 posts, read 580,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Yes, when you initiate it, they should be POLITE and respond to you. However, there ARE customers who would talk your ear off if you'd let them...and you DO have a job to do also.

How do you suggest disengaging from these people politely?
Well if you're apparently really busy you just kind of inch away in sort of a rushed manner while holding up your finger in a 'one minute' position
It's what we used to do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships