Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 04:35 PM

373 posts, read 644,044 times

Advertisements

What is with people and being rude? I sent a message this morning to a past friend "hey there. I have been thinking about you recently. I hope all is well with your family and you". He read it hours ago and he has been active since.

Is it really so hard to say, hello back and that you are doing well or whatever?

I am so tired of putting myself out there, sending messages to people, either by text or Facebook and getting zip back. I even respond to wrong numbers pleasantly. There is never a reason to be rude. But I think a " go to hell" would be better then the sound of crickets chirping. Geez...

Old 06-18-2013, 05:14 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty12 View Post
What is with people and being rude? I sent a message this morning to a past friend "hey there. I have been thinking about you recently. I hope all is well with your family and you". He read it hours ago and he has been active since.

Is it really so hard to say, hello back and that you are doing well or whatever?

I am so tired of putting myself out there, sending messages to people, either by text or Facebook and getting zip back. I even respond to wrong numbers pleasantly. There is never a reason to be rude. But I think a " go to hell" would be better then the sound of crickets chirping. Geez...
By the next day if you have not gotten a response, it is understandable to be miffed over your well wishes and effort not being returned. Best advice: You reached out, Said Hello and he does not see any need to reciprocate. Don't waste any more time sending anything further and especially don't stress about it. You mentioned "past" friend so clearly you do not hang out or communicate much it sounds. Focus on the people closest to you.

I don't have fb, And many people from my family to others still urge me to go on so I can gain contact with people from the past and how great it is. And that's the thing: If we are not in regular contact perhaps it was meant to be? No hard feelings to them, I just don't see the need to find the guy I only said hello to in the halls of High school or ex-girlfriends. I just prefer my circle and City-data for the good folks on here. My version of FB.

Crack a beer and don't worry about that dude. The fact you made a thread shows it is causing you stress. Ain't worth it in the grand scheme of things.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:26 PM

373 posts, read 644,044 times
Well he is not the only one to do it. His ignoring just happened to be the straw that aggravated me.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:36 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:

If you're that interested in contacting him and seeing how his family is doing, why not pick up the phone or if you have an email address, email directly?

I am starting to think Facebook is more designed for people to brag and also spy on each other.

Awhile back there was a thread on here from a woman who went on her friend's Facebook page and saw she was out at a bar when she said she was doing something else...LOL. She was going to end the friendship because she was in fact checking up on her friend to see what she was doing, and caught her in a lie.

While no one likes to be lied to, doesn't say much when you spy on people either.

Why can't you just call people instead of texting and Facebook if you want actual contact?

Old 06-18-2013, 06:07 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:

Umm.......this was only maybe 12 hours ago? I personally have been known not to respond to DMs on Facebook for that same time period. I'm at work most of the day and I cannot exactly respond to non-urgent messages all willy-nilly.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:24 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,370,438 times
Reminds me of this thread from a week ago-
http://www.city-data.com/forum/other...alk-while.html

Old 06-18-2013, 07:33 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
I even respond to wrong numbers pleasantly.
This little bit applies to me. I just can't give people an attitude over an honest mistake. I'll always end a wrong number call with "no problem" or "not a problem, bye now." As for FBIdataminingbook behavior, I really can't comment as I flat out refuse to participate despite the urging of friends and relatives.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:40 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,370,438 times
FYI, as of about 20 mins. ago, FB was down anyway, so one couldn't log in.
Correction: it's back up now, but still, outages do happen at any site.

I sign out of FB every time I leave there,
so if someone wants to get ahold of me they should email, not FB msg.
Some folks live on FB, and are on it all the time-
but some folks are not & do not, occasional (in contrast to constant) FB users do exist.

Last edited by cloven; 06-18-2013 at 07:54 PM..

Old 06-18-2013, 10:03 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,172 times
Maybe your freiend saw the message, but couldn't get to it right away?

Sometimes people message me when I'm on my phone, and I know it's going to be a long reply, so I wait to respond until I get back to my computer. Sometimes I do forget, though-- it's happened.

No need to get upset, it's not like your message was urgent, or anything

Old 06-18-2013, 10:41 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,332,775 times
I thank God every day, I'm too fracking old for facebook.

OP,

May be they are just not in the mood to respond back or you aren't as important to them as you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.