Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 05:16 PM

621 posts, read 1,033,220 times

Advertisements

I have this guy friend who is living in this small apartment paying 1,300 a month, his mom, his sister, and the sisters daughter all living under the same roof in the small place. But the sister of his is making $20 bucks an hour which is about 3,000 bucks a month she is well off of moving out and getting her own place. But yet she chooses to stay living at home or she goes out to dinner, parties, etc.

So this guy has to be the one to pay for half the rent, the mom puts in some money and the sister puts in only a little bit or never pays at all. This guy does want to move out and live on his own but yet he can't because he has to help pay for rent and other bills.

To me it sounds like the sister is being selfish and has the family and her brother wrapped around her finger. He says he will move out but its going to take a year or so but I see it to never happen really. What should my friend do? What would you do in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 05:20 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
Tell him to have a "family time-out!" He needs to figure out how much every individual needs to pay a month, for their living expenses, or get out. That simple!

Old 07-02-2013, 05:35 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygogetter View Post
I have this guy friend who is living in this small apartment paying 1,300 a month, his mom, his sister, and the sisters daughter all living under the same roof in the small place. But the sister of his is making $20 bucks an hour which is about 3,000 bucks a month she is well off of moving out and getting her own place. But yet she chooses to stay living at home or she goes out to dinner, parties, etc.

So this guy has to be the one to pay for half the rent, the mom puts in some money and the sister puts in only a little bit or never pays at all. This guy does want to move out and live on his own but yet he can't because he has to help pay for rent and other bills.

To me it sounds like the sister is being selfish and has the family and her brother wrapped around her finger. He says he will move out but its going to take a year or so but I see it to never happen really. What should my friend do? What would you do in this situation?
I'm confused. Guy pays $650, Mom "some money" and Sister "a little bit or never pays at all" so who pays the rest? I'm guessing the Guy ends up paying the rest.

How about the Guy goes to the landlord with his half of the rent money and then the landlord needs to get the rest from Mom & Sister.

Or the Guy can give notice and make arrangements to rent a room in someone's house or move to a tiny, tiny inexpensive efficiency apartment or couch surf for a few months. I'll bet if Sister realizes that she will soon have to pay the full $1,300 she will be happy to start to kick in $650 plus her share of all of the utilities.

Another idea, Maybe Brother should only be paying $325 a month as there are four people living there?
Suggest that he tell his sister that information. He should then be able to save up for his own place pretty quickly when she starts to pay her fair share.

If he doesn't "grow a pair" soon he will likely have his mother and sister and her children living with him for the next decade (or two or three).

Last edited by germaine2626; 07-02-2013 at 05:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships