Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 10:07 PM

177 posts, read 532,357 times

Advertisements

Back to the original question. Yes, I find it difficult to make new friends as we grow older.
Most of them are married, in relationships, have kids or their own things going on....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 11:41 PM

501 posts, read 801,316 times
I find it difficult as well because of the above statement and because most my age are married (I'm divorced) and/or have children, I find that I do not have anything in common with them so there is no need of establishing anything beyond acquaintance.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:32 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
Based on the freelance nature of my work, I make friends easily enough through the document review community. However, outside of work it's a little harder. I've gone to some functions hoping to meet new people, but people can be awfully cliquish.

Frankly a cigar shop is the best way to make friends.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:13 AM

757 posts, read 1,024,931 times
The older one gets the harder it is to make friends. I guess people at that age are more aware of their places in the society. They’re a lot more conscious about what they own, how they spend, social status they’ve achieved, their social circle, how they’re perceived, etc. Therefore they tend to be much more critical and judgmental than when they were much younger. It’s hard to bestow friendship and become friends with strangers easily at that age and with that mentality.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:52 PM

17 posts, read 24,504 times
I don't think anything is wrong with you. I am 38 and I have not made a real friend in years. I just recently learned that it is ok to be picky in this area. Why? Because one should be around those that will celebrate one not just tolerate one. I am just now learning the difference. I also think that is why I have put myself in unhappy situations trying to have a "friend". Now, I have a list I go by when choosing friends or lovers and the number one quality on the list is--character.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:06 AM

26 posts, read 63,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
We're out there, trust me. I think women overlook us (or me, anyway).
I cant see how women would overlook you. I saw your profile so I find it hard to believe. Maybe your just not aware they are looking at you.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:55 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
I have many acquaintances I am 'friendly' with; however, as far as I'd consider someone being a 'friend' in the true sense of the word, that number is very small. This has pretty much been the case my entire life and has nothing to do with my age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships