Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 12:46 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,703,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
Uh, we are gay. So the marriage thing was kind of loaded until recently in our state.

Why do people assume that being married has ANYTHING to do with happiness and satisfaction in a relationship? Sheesh.
But I thought gay people were happy people??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 10:47 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
Life changes can do this. Stress at work can carry on at home, but it seems like there may be more going on. Anxiety, depression, and other emotional/mental maladies/struggles are the result of things we are forcing or not willing to face. It makes complete sense, but we live in a society of acceptance and "suck it up". It seems the more we tolerate, the better we are in the eyes of the masses. We stuff it, we suppress it, we don't address it because we are supposed to for the "greater good". I am willing to bet that is part of what is at work with you.

I'm in the same place, perhaps for different reasons. People annoy me. Not all of them, but plenty of them. I come off as arrogant when I express why, but it is how I feel and I don't think I am off. So, I am happiest at home, away from people. I socialize from time to time, but I get antsy after a while. I gravitate toward solitude, even within groups - crowds and large groups wear me out. I choose to make a living from home for this reason. I have a wonderful man in my life but he is a rare find. We get along famously. I'm thankful as heck to have found him, but I would be just as well alone.

I am like this because of my past relationships. They were, for the most part, crappy. As much as I feel I have learned from them, they propelled me into this place where solitude is organic to me. It was after my last one that I started withdrawing. I'm not jaded or bitter. I'm happy this way - it feels right. Of course, external views of what should be had me struggling with it. I should socialize, I should get out more, I should find a nice man and settle down. I thought there was something wrong with me because I didn't want or need these things. I felt damaged. Well sure, you don't go through what I went through unscathed. But, I am at peace. There is nothing wrong with this.

So, I would ask you to take a moment alone and really think about what is causing this. It doesn't just come out of nowhere, for no reason. When you ignore your needs for so long, tending to them becomes an alien concept. It feels selfish and wrong. It's not. It should be a priority.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:55 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,002,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post

I'm in the same place, perhaps for different reasons. People annoy me. Not all of them, but plenty of them. I come off as arrogant when I express why, but it is how I feel and I don't think I am off. So, I am happiest at home, away from people. I socialize from time to time, but I get antsy after a while. I gravitate toward solitude, even within groups - crowds and large groups wear me out.

I am like this because of my past relationships. They were, for the most part, crappy. As much as I feel I have learned from them, they propelled me into this place where solitude is organic to me. It was after my last one that I started withdrawing. I'm not jaded or bitter. I'm happy this way - it feels right. unscathed. But, I am at peace. There is nothing wrong with this.

This describes ME. Did I black out, pick a different user name (PassTheChocolate), and write the above? Maybe I did ...

Old 07-16-2013, 09:46 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,950 times
I just try to keep in mind that whether intentionally or not, I may offend people sometimes too. I will never please everyone always since I am actually imperfect. And some may annoy me as well. When people are hurt, they may become angry and look for ways to get even. But anger needs to be resolved and managed in a positive constructive manner. Otherwise, if harbored, it grows and gets more intense which can be detrimental psychologically and even physically over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships