Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 01:05 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
No, it is not weird.
There is nothing wrong with having like minded close friends.
I imagine that the people you don't care for, said you were a snob or antisocial.
If you are ok with you, it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks.

However, you do need to learn how to communicate with all types of people, especially in the workplace.
This. You want to have close friends who share your values.
The last part of this is most challenging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 01:10 PM

855 posts, read 1,384,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohanna View Post
for example, i want friends who are like me when it comes to personal decisions. those who are faithful to only one partner (monogamous), people compassionate enough to other creatures to be vegetarian, people who care about the world enough to recycle and compost.

for example, before i've had friends who were simply cruel to others, who were thieves to people i didn't know, who cheated on their partners, who tried to seduce another person in a relationship. most of these people didn't care one bit for animals or the earth, and this annoyed me a bit, and i annoyed them when i tried convincing them to change their ways (recycling). who practically worshipped stupid celebrities and rich people on TV (like that show with Paris Hilton) by giving them so much attention.

it seems unnatural to specifically seek people who think like me out. and the only way i can seem to do that, making sure we're on the same page is by posting an ad describing my attributes and those i seek in a potential friend, then arranging to meet whoever replies. i am very picky about the people i choose to have personal relationships with, and prefer to go through life alone rather than spend my extracurricular time with those with poor taste and unrefined choice-making.

i guess this makes me sound like a snob. either that or antisocial, or both.

but my question is...how odd is it?

It is not weird to want to have people in your life with the same morals, values, ethics and behavioural patterns. It makes you yourself more comfortable when you know you can trust someone who thinks, acts and treats others like you do. Trusting relationships become stronger when you know that there are no anxieties or doubts about how you commune with that person, whatever information or subject value is at stake.

You always have one person in your circle of friends that you tell a lot more about than another. Sometimes the other friends vanish from your circle with the passing of time because you grow socially grow apart from each other. Nothing wrong with that as long as they don't become an enemy.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:26 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortnblack View Post
It is not weird to want to have people in your life with the same morals, values, ethics and behavioural patterns. It makes you yourself more comfortable when you know you can trust someone who thinks, acts and treats others like you do. Trusting relationships become stronger when you know that there are no anxieties or doubts about how you commune with that person, whatever information or subject value is at stake.

You always have one person in your circle of friends that you tell a lot more about than another. Sometimes the other friends vanish from your circle with the passing of time because you grow socially grow apart from each other. Nothing wrong with that as long as they don't become an enemy.
Yes, nothing like thinking you'll be friends with someone forever, "because you have SO much in common", only to have that dear friend (whom you've confided everything to), become your worst enemy, who now has ample ammunition to use against you.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:34 PM

855 posts, read 1,384,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Yes, nothing like thinking you'll be friends with someone forever, "because you have SO much in common", only to have that dear friend (whom you've confided everything to), become your worst enemy, who now has ample ammunition to use against you.
I know more guys who have long time friends than women who have long time friends. I've seen women who were great friends for years all of a sudden become enemies because the little differences they could ignore when they were younger became significantly magnified through the years.

Guys can have a beer and forget about certain things while some women can't get past being hurt even if it was minimal.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:54 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
Quote:
Only TWO PERCENT of the planet is an Atheist.

That means the other 98% are seriously stupid.
wow, just wow....do you realize that attitude will affect everything you do, negatively? The self-proclaimed enlightened ones (irregardless of position or beliefs) always fall.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:58 PM

487 posts, read 896,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I have many friends who share different political opinions, etc. We just don't talk about politics. Just because someone has different views than me, doesn't recycle and I do, etc, doesn't mean we still can't have fun at a concert or go out dancing.

I think it's different if they are truly different in ways such as they say racist things, are mean to people, etc, but in terms of just having different views on eating meat, religion, other things listed, etc doesn't matter to me, as long as they aren't pushing it on me.
Why is is unacceptable to be mean to people, but perfectly okay to not only be completely cruel to animals, as well as the environment? Eating cattle also greatly contributes to global warming thanks to the sharp increases in methane which is about 20x more potent in warming potential than CO2 (cow flatulence and crap emits a surprising amount of methane), not to mention the extensive demands for water and resources that the beef industry requires.
I think, in a utopian world friends should be held accountable not only for their hurting people but for hurting that which cannot fight back; animals and the planet we inhabit.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:49 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
Why is is unacceptable to be mean to people, but perfectly okay to not only be completely cruel to animals, as well as the environment? Eating cattle also greatly contributes to global warming thanks to the sharp increases in methane which is about 20x more potent in warming potential than CO2 (cow flatulence and crap emits a surprising amount of methane), not to mention the extensive demands for water and resources that the beef industry requires.
I think, in a utopian world friends should be held accountable not only for their hurting people but for hurting that which cannot fight back; animals and the planet we inhabit.
Fine then....you are being held accountable for holding animals in higher regard than you do people. You are being held accountable for being an intolerant, insensitive, self-righteous person. It is unacceptable behavior to treat others as if they are inferior to you and have disdain for others, simply because they do not see things as you do. Hopefully, you will wake up, and realize just how wrong you are, before you miss out on some fantastic relationship opportunities.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:15 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
I find it interesting that in your first post and several other follow-up posts, the original poster refers to animals as "creatures".

If they are "creatures", then who did the creating?

No, I am not a "creationist". But belief in both a Creator and in evolution is not in the least exclusionary or oppositional in my views.

OP, do check out relevant meet-up groups in your community. But try to cut your less-"enlightened" acquaintances more slack, and recognize that the world is a big place, filled with many wonders, some of which are animals, some of which are people, and many of which are widely varying ideas. Try to keep your mind and heart open enough to all of them, at least initially.

Rejecting 98% of the world's people because they believe in God is pretty narrow-minded and certainly limiting. Tolerance goes a long ways - and it's a two-way street.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:40 PM

50,765 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
It's just a commonly accepted practice to eat meat in this country, that's just the way it is. It's because we don't see it, I suppose. If I had to go kill my own cow, I'd be a vegetarian, too. But you sound like you really are not able to 'see' people outside of that framework, so I'd say you probably should opt to only be around like-minded people. You just have to realize and accept that your pool is limited.

But I believe there are plenty of people that feel as you do, at least around here. My city, though small and very right wing in general, has a very definite progressive, new age underground as well. Maybe you are living in the wrong place if you haven't met others who share your beliefs, and could consider moving somewhere more progressive and environmentally aware, like Oregon or northern California, if that is a possibility. Otherwise, go on Meetup and type in vegetarians, or animal lovers, or progressives or whatever you like, along with your zip code. I live in an area 90 minutes from the nearest city with a low year-round population, but even down here there are Meetups on just about anything within 45 minutes of me. If there aren't any groups in your area, start your own.

Also, there are MANY local activist and politically oriented groups that would love to have someone with your passion - have you considered seeking one out? I have done things with my city's Amnesty International group, protest walks on the boardwalk organized by environmental groups (they were going to use rainforest wood to rebuild part of the boardwalk, but we won), things like that, and made some really good friends doing those things. Aside from meeting like-minded people, you're going to have a much better chance of actually changing things and making a difference in the world by taking action, than you will by telling people how their thinking is wrong.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 07-20-2013 at 07:17 PM..

Old 07-20-2013, 11:02 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
When it comes to religion I find most people really don't believe in anything regardless of what they might say. Unless you live in the Bible Belt is not difficult to avoid any talk of religion, I've been able to do that for over 50 years. I do talk about it sometimes though because I find it interesting, but it never really comes up unless it's THAT kind of discussion.

Unfortunately you sound as annoying as those annoying religious people I've run into from time to time. I'd actively avoid you both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships