Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 08:18 PM

39,223 posts, read 27,589,701 times

Advertisements

I am 28 years old and I will turn 29 very soon. Well, I have to say that I am that kind of girls who never truly thought about having children. I love children, especially my three adorable baby nephews. Children love me too. I just have never truly thought about having babies of my own.

I am in a relationship with a gorgeous wonderful man, and I have to say that sometimes, I thought about having babies with him. He told me he thought about having children with me too. But if we never have any children, it is not going to be a deal breaker. I guess I feel the same way.

Well, I am just curious. Do you regret not having kids?

I have a girlfriend who is 45 years old right now, and she is very depressed for not having children. When she was in her 20s and early 30s, she concentrated on having a fulfilling career. She found the love of her life at age of 39, they've tried several years of having children, but doctor told her that her eggs were just too old, and none of her eggs were healthy enough. She is now 45, successful, married, childless, depressed, and unhappy.

I know it is kind of silly to ask internet strangers this kind of question about my future. I honestly don't know what it is like to have no children in the future. Some people told me they really do enjoy life without children, some people told me they are indifferent, some people really regret not having children when they could. But obviously, it is too late for them.

What have been your experiences? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 08:21 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,434,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am 28 years old and I will turn 29 very soon. Well, I have to say that I am that kind of girls who never truly thought about having children. I love children, especially my three adorable baby nephews. Children love me too. I just have never truly thought about having babies of my own.

I am in a relationship with a gorgeous wonderful man, and I have to say that sometimes, I thought about having babies with him. He told me he thought about having children with me too. But if we never have any children, it is not going to be a deal breaker. I guess I feel the same way.

Well, I am just curious. Do you regret not having kids?

I have a girlfriend who is 45 years old right now, and she is very depressed for not having children. When she was in her 20s and early 30s, she concentrated on having a fulfilling career. She found the love of her life at age of 39, they've tried several years of having children, but doctor told her that her eggs were just too old, and none of her eggs were healthy enough. She is now 45, successful, married, childless, depressed, and unhappy.

I know it is kind of silly to ask internet strangers this kind of question about my future. I honestly don't know what it is like to have no children in the future. Some people told me they really do enjoy life without children, some people told me they are indifferent, some people really regret not having children when they could. But obviously, it is too late for them.

What have been your experiences? Thank you.
My experience is women 45 and older who haven't had kids will say (whether sincere or not) they are glad they didn't have kids, that they never wanted kids (whether that is true or not).

Old 07-29-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
My experience is women 45 and older who haven't had kids will say (whether sincere or not) they are glad they didn't have kids, that they never wanted kids (whether that is true or not).
Yes, I agree. I can honestly say that as a 28 year old woman, I am indifferent. But who knows what I will be thinking in 10 years! This is the scary part...

Old 07-29-2013, 08:32 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Yes, I agree. I can honestly say that as a 28 year old woman, I am indifferent. But who knows what I will be thinking in 10 years! This is the scary part...
My brother extracted an agreement from his wife that they wouldn't have kids. She agreed in her 20's, but by her late 30's, something hormonal must have been going on, because suddenly she wanted kids. So in their late 30's they had kids, and it worked out fine. You still have time to change your mind. Or not. I know a lot of women who didn't have kids and are fine with it. It was the best decision for them. Not everyone is suited to having and raising kids.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:35 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
We have friends who have children and those who don't and none of them regret their decision to have children or not.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
My brother extracted an agreement from his wife that they wouldn't have kids. She agreed in her 20's, but by her late 30's, something hormonal must have been going on, because suddenly she wanted kids. So in their late 30's they had kids, and it worked out fine. You still have time to change your mind. Or not. I know a lot of women who didn't have kids and are fine with it. It was the best decision for them. Not everyone is suited to having and raising kids.
yes.. I just hope that when I do change my mind, it is not going to be so late..

Old 07-29-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
We have friends who have children and those who don't and none of them regret their decision to have children or not.
I genuinely hope this would be my case too..

Old 07-29-2013, 08:55 PM

501 posts, read 801,089 times
I guess the hormonal thing happened to me in my 20s, but it never materialized now that I am 36 I am glad that it never happened. I have gone through too much financially and appreciate having the freedom to be able to come and go as I please. Plus those custody battles and having to deal with the ex you really don't care to deal with long after the fact due to the obvious reasons is another added plus.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:09 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,434,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I'll bet there is a larger percentage of those who don't have kids that may have tried but failed to have them than there is those who do have kids and never wanted to have them. Meaning, some times people will eventually reconcile undesired results.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:18 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,234 times
I am way over 45 and have never regretted my decision not to have children. I made my decision at 18 and have never looked back. My husband was thrilled with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships