Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 04:59 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
It depends on who the bagger is at the regular checkout. My local grocery store hires developmentally delayed teens and adults to do the bagging, and some of them are really awful, as in, put 5 lbs of potatoes on top of the bread awful. If I have the time, which I usually do, I will help them bag and keep an eye out. They really are sweet, and I'm glad the store gives them jobs. But, if I'm buying a lot of fresh produce to make a meal for guests, or a fabulous dessert, I want to bag it "my" way. That's when I head to the self checkout. Our store has 8 of them, so it doesn't matter how many others are doing it too, nobody is ever waiting.
You could always set the soft stuff aside, or put it up last and ask them to bag it separately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 05:26 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,673,116 times
Why have someone do something for me when I'm very capable of doing it myself?

Old 08-11-2013, 05:58 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
Why have someone do something for me when I'm very capable of doing it myself?
Because you are paying for it.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:36 PM

993 posts, read 2,291,969 times
Sometimes people check out a bunch of stuff at the self check-outs because it is easier to steal stuff.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:30 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,218,598 times
Some people would prefer to check their self out quickly and efficiently as opposed to getting in a line and putting yourself at the mercy of mental midget getting paid minimum wage to check you out super slow and screw everything up.

We have all been stuck in lines run by super slow workers who clog everything up.

You know the old saying about wanting something done right and doing it yourself...

Old 08-11-2013, 08:10 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susie creamcheese View Post
what you think of the person who decides to use the self-checkout...

with a gazillion items in the cart--like full of stuff

What is the psychology of that? I have already talked to the clerks about the whole point of having self checkout and it being very zippy when it's just about 10 items or less.

One clerk told me they used to have '15 items or less' signs but took them down. I can't fathom why but perhaps it has to do with "the customer is always right."

Please help me with this. I am so not receiving.
I go to the grocery store really early in the morning and the only lines open are the self check out so I don't have much choice in the matter. I do wish they'd open at least one regular lane.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:42 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
The first time I went into a Home Depot and they suggested I try out the new self checkout line I was really PO'd. I told the clerk it was just another way to eliminate one more job and I didn't like it. But now I have to admit I actually prefer checking myself out, both at places like Home Depot and the grocery store.

One reason is that there are a lot more self checkouts than regular lines so you get done quicker. They usually have an employee there to help you if something doesn't scan, so you can zip along pretty good. I can also bag my things the way I want to keep them from being crushed.

Some things that technology has changed are not that bad after all.

Don

Old 08-11-2013, 09:47 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:

What is the psychology of that? I have already talked to the clerks about the whole point of having self checkout and it being very zippy when it's just about 10 items or less.

One clerk told me they used to have '15 items or less' signs but took them down. I can't fathom why but perhaps it has to do with "the customer is always right."

I use them all the time no matter the number of items because it is quicker for me to scan my items, bag them, put them in the cart and use my debit card than it is to have the checker do it. When I remove the item from my cart I scan it immediately and it goes in the bag, I do not have to put it on the conveyor and wait for the cashier, then put everything in the cart after it is all scanned and bagged.

It has nothing to do with the customer being right it has everything to do with the efficiency of this customer. Things go even faster when my husband is with me because I take from the cart, scan and bag and he takes off the bagger and puts the items in the cart. I always have an empty bag waiting to be filled.

Just a side note, a "gazillion" items will NOT fit into one cart unless they are tiny items.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:55 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,448 times
Quote:

If it's during off hours, god bless, but I find it horribly inconsiderate when there are 20 people lined up for four self-checkout tills, and there's one person going at it with a cart that could feed a homeless shelter.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:00 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideworld View Post
If it's during off hours, god bless, but I find it horribly inconsiderate when there are 20 people lined up for four self-checkout tills, and there's one person going at it with a cart that could feed a homeless shelter.
Then wouldn't the next question be...
why are you and 19 other people standing there wanting to use the self checkout?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships