Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 08:31 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The truth is, when you have kids you still need to make a living. And the daycare is not open on the weekend.

When the boss is calling around for someone to come in on short notice, who is going to be more likely to be able to come in? The single person, or the lady with three kids who has to call around and find a sitter? I used to manage a small store. When I needed someone to come in on short notice, I knew who was more likely to be able to come in and who would show up sober and ready to work. I also knew who would say they had to call around to try to find a sitter, and who would call me back four hours later (during which time they were supposedly getting a sitter and coming in) and say they hadn't been able to find anyone. I would call the single people in first, because I didn't have all day to find someone and they were more reliable.

If it's a scheduled shift, not something unplanned, and the other person does not have seniority over you, then it's completely reasonable to expect that person to be able to work their share of weekendds, regardless of whether they have kids or not.
If a job requires weekends, it requires weekends. Period. If a parent cannnot work weekends, then they shouldn't accept a job offer that requires it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 09:31 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,033,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
If a job requires weekends, it requires weekends. Period. If a parent cannnot work weekends, then they shouldn't accept a job offer that requires it.
Ohhhh, you'd be surprised (well, maybe not..) at the people who accept jobs like that and then try to change the rules, especially playing up the sympathy factor

Old 08-31-2013, 10:36 AM

750 posts, read 1,434,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Ohhhh, you'd be surprised (well, maybe not..) at the people who accept jobs like that and then try to change the rules, especially playing up the sympathy factor
True, true, true. I'm retired from corporate-land, but vividly remember working in a department full of mommies and daddies who would be hired to work full time and agree to the conditions of the job, which were that sometimes the nature of our work required occasional evenings and out-of-town assignments. Somehow, once hired, the mommies and daddies then expected to be allowed to work part time, leave early, never put in a bit of overtime, and never go out of town.

I was routinely turned down for vacation during Christmas-New Years break and Easter/Spring break, and expected to work late to take up the slack for the ones who had faaaaamily obligations, because I was a single female, who obviously had no life at all outside of that job. It became nauseatingly, glaringly unfair.

Needless to say, I left and moved to a better work environment, where people were treated fairly. I often volunteered to work the crappy breaks so parents could spend time with their kids when they were home from school. It just grated when it was unwritten departmental policy that single people got the crap assignments and worked the long hours.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:37 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I guess I got mad because she is the type of person that talks about her familiy all the time,whereas I'm quiet. I rarely say much to anyone,because I figure its nobody else's business. I also figured she was making an Assumption that I don't have a family,or I don't want to spend time with my family.

We were asked to work weekends,but work it out amongst ourselves how we were going to do it.
Sounds like you're making the assumptions, not her.

You're coming across as unusually bitter & defensive about a standard conversational phrase. I suspect you have resentment or baggage built up that has very little to do with your co-worker's innocuous description of her own weekend. Stop chatting with her if you're "triggered" easily.

The weekend work is a separate matter. If your co-workers are having difficulty "working it out amongst ourselves", then take that issue up with management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships