Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 01:07 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,135,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess90 View Post
I introduced my boyfriend to my Mother a few weeks ago and ever since she's been constantly asking about him and when can she talk to him again. She even started to ask to hang out with him a couple of times while I was at work. She is starting to hang out with him almost as much as I do like taking him out to lunch and they went to see a couple of movies I think. My mom dosent have too many close friends of her own, so I'm guessing that's why she is so clingy to him. My boyfriend thinks she's trying to be friendly so he just goes along with it because she's my mom so he's just trying to show some respect. But this **** still annoys and bugs the hell outta me for some reason..am I wrong for being so irritated or what. Some advice please thanks:-)

It does sound strange. However, if people are ok with it, it should be ok.

But it looks like your boyfriend and you are not ok with it. You have every right to say so. Maybe your mom wants to date your boyfriend, or maybe she just wants to hang out with him as her new son. It doesn't matter. If you two are not ok with it, you should end it.

But what if the three of you spend some times together? Maybe she is just too lonely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 11:07 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
I introduced my boyfriend to my Mother a few weeks ago and ever since she's been constantly asking about him and when can she talk to him again. She even started to ask to hang out with him a couple of times while I was at work. She is starting to hang out with him almost as much as I do like taking him out to lunch and they went to see a couple of movies I think. My mom dosent have too many close friends of her own, so I'm guessing that's why she is so clingy to him. My boyfriend thinks she's trying to be friendly so he just goes along with it because she's my mom so he's just trying to show some respect. But this **** still annoys and bugs the hell outta me for some reason..am I wrong for being so irritated or what. Some advice please thanks:-)
It's not "normal" but it might be somewhat normal for a lonely person who is trying to be friendly and stay close to her only daughter and her boyfriend.

I think the best thing would be to include her sometimes but othertimes make it clear it's a couple's only date. Or ask her if there's someone she'd like to bring along so it's a double-date. One easy way to get rid of her is to find dates for her --- get her some blind dates and she may start avoiding the two of you like the plague.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:19 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's not "normal" but it might be somewhat normal for a lonely person who is trying to be friendly and stay close to her only daughter and her boyfriend.

I think the best thing would be to include her sometimes but othertimes make it clear it's a couple's only date. Or ask her if there's someone she'd like to bring along so it's a double-date. One easy way to get rid of her is to find dates for her --- get her some blind dates and she may start avoiding the two of you like the plague.
wull yes, your right, but then wouldn't you do things together with the two of them, instead of just entertaining the boyfriend?

Old 09-01-2013, 09:54 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,868 times
Quote:
Maybe your mom is an undercover detective and is trying to get the scoop on your boyfriend to see if he's good enough for you to date (and possibly marry). Or maybe your mom wants your boyfriend.

As the other posters have mentioned, it's more likely that your mom is lonely and is just looking for a male companion to hang out with since your dad passed away several years ago. I would recommend helping your mom meet new people to make new friends and go on dates. That way she leaves both you and your boyfriend alone on your dates and can have her own separate social life.

How did the talk w/ your mom go? Hope it all went well!

Old 09-02-2013, 04:26 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
Perhaps your boyfriend could just say no to your mom about going places and not answer her calls. His relationship is with you, not her. Or is it?
I'm thinking the same...what's wrong with the boyfriend that he can't take care of this. The only reason Tess is uncomfortable with this is because he isn't/hasn't set the mother straight...and I'm wondering why not!!!

Old 09-02-2013, 05:07 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,889 times
Is it possible that your mother has very few friends because she isn't a good person?

It sounds like she is trying to date your boyfriend behind your back. Where were you when they went on these dates....working every time they went out? Why weren't you invited? You are not even sure how many times they have gone out!

You have two problems. Your mother and your boyfriend.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:56 PM

803 posts, read 1,879,692 times
kharing, i totally agree with your post.

OP, i have a question, how come u havent been on these outings? are they not inviting you? i think its wrong for your mom to take a sudden interest in your boyfriend and its even alarming that she and him are going out to movies and such--without u. u have 2 problems, ure mom and ure boyfriend.

be up front with her, tell her that its a little strange the amount of the time that they r spending together. tell your bf the same thing.

--u know what im thinking./.. do u have a big birthday or event coming up? maybe they are planning something spectacular for u or maybe ure bf wants t propose to you and asked your mom to go ring shopping with him.

if u are feeling really suspicious, u may need to spy on them. lol seriouslywhen they go to the moies slip into the theater and see how they act together.

Last edited by Mandy612; 09-02-2013 at 06:31 PM..

Old 09-02-2013, 06:19 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
A widow with one child. She sounds very lonely. I would:

1. ask the boyfriend to decline from now on when she invites him to do things. He can say he's busy, sick, whatever.

2. YOU spend more time with your mom. Occasionally, the three of you go out.

3. Any chance boyfriend has an uncle he can set her up with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships