Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2013, 08:20 AM

99 posts, read 167,688 times

Advertisements

So, I began a job at a small chain store about a month ago. The store manager hired me, and when he interviewed me he was quite nice and humorous, but also professional. He did a very unconventional interview with me, asking me a base question, then letting the conversation takes it's natural course. I aced the interview and he seemed very happy with me because I was previously department manager at a huge big box store, and I had tons of experience in basically every area of a store (cashier included) you can imagine.

When I started, there was no training for me. I mean, none. I got a handle of the register within basically the first ten minutes, though I did notice some differences that I inquired about. I also was setting entire planograms for him on the day I started. (For those who don't know, a planogram is a somewhat time consuming task where you take an empty section (or entire aisle) and you set it, whether that mean shelving it or putting up pegs for hanging merchandise in precisely the place indicated by a packet of papers with instructions. You then fill it, price it, etc etc. It's not rocket science but the vast majority of retail workers don't get to the level where they'd need to know how to do one.)

Basically, I was doing a ton of things for him and the store that he never invested in training me in. For the first three weeks everything was fine. We then went through a remodel, and our entire store team pulled a 60 hour week of very hard labor. Our store is now updated and looks immaculate with everything in it's place.

The bad thing is that after this remodel, he has become extremely irritable. For example, he will get extremely agitated if he is called up to do a void. (In this particular store, voids for any reason must be done by the manager on duty) Even though it is something whoever is running the register can't avoid, he places the blame on that person. A customer decides they no longer want it after it's rung up? Our fault. Someone wants a price check that a manager must do? Our fault, and we are a nuisance for needing him.

He has even gone as far as telling me and other people that we need to learn the register or we'll be written up, and that there are ways to avoid these situations. He will make a backhanded comment here and there and then give you a face like he is challenging you to say something back. He has also told his assistant manager, whom I am friends with, that she needs to start writing people up for these types of things and even the smallest screw up. He has put all the burden of any kind of disciplinary action on her and is also blaming her for whatever problems he thinks we have.

It's incredible to me, because in all my years of working retail, I have never been treated this way, or have been made to feel that I am not doing a good job. Every place I've worked at has recognized that I am an extremely hard worker, am very flexible scheduling wise, and am willing to learn and tackle big projects. All places, when I quit (the right way, 2 weeks notice) were very sad to see me go, and all told me to not hesitate to come back.

I know I am not lazy, or inept, and neither are the people I work with. We are all extremely hard workers, but to him, it's not enough. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't deal with him. If you ask a question, he becomes irritated that you don't know the answer and makes you feel like an idiot. However, if you don't ask and do something wrong, you get reamed out for that as well. It's come to the point that everyone hates working with him, and whenever he is in the store, he creates a horrible, tense mood for everyone.

I guess my question is if anyone knows why a manager would think to act like this, or preside over his team with this kind of attitude. And what, if anything can be done (for me, and about him?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 09:04 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,651,901 times
He may be under the microscope by the owners, or perhaps he has problems at home. It sounds a little like he is taking his own problems out on his staff. I hope things work out for you.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:22 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,067,667 times
Working retail jobs for a career is a dead end living unless you move up to management.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:27 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,135,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windynostalgia View Post

I guess my question is if anyone knows why a manager would think to act like this, or preside over his team with this kind of attitude. And what, if anything can be done (for me, and about him?)

Something happened in his personal life to make him crabby. He takes it out on all those around him. It may not be related to you, but since you were around, you're going to get it.

Or maybe the remodel has cost him (them) a lot of money and they are very touchy now about every wasted cent.

The best thing to do: 1) is to realize that it's not your fault.

It's actually hard for some people. Because when someone blames them, they start to feel like it's their fault. But sometimes it's not. So if you can learn that it's not your fault, then his blame will not hurt you.

2) expect him to always complain about something and don't let it bother you

3) always politely reply and even say "I am sorry" even though it's not your fault (because a fight will only cause more fight)

4) if you get fired, it won't be becasue of you, it's more like a force of nature which could not be avoided

So just don't feel like it's your fault, do the best job you can do, be polite in your responses to him (even if he is unreasonable) and see where life takes you.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
I don't know, he just sounds like a jerk. Working for a jerk, someone who can hold back your raise, or write you up for infractions, is a real pain.

Find a new job pronto. You have good experience. You should be able to find something more rewarding. You'll never get a good raise from this guy.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:45 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
yep I gotta say this guy is just an asshat and he takes his home life to work with him . bad practice to do . You will never get a raise because everything is your fault that goes wrong . Good luck and I hope you get an awesome new job .

Old 08-27-2013, 10:13 AM

99 posts, read 167,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Working retail jobs for a career is a dead end living unless you move up to management.
Thanks, but you know nothing about my situation, age, or why I'm working retail in the first place. For all you know, I am working while attending school, so you can keep the irrelevant comment to yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I don't know, he just sounds like a jerk. Working for a jerk, someone who can hold back your raise, or write you up for infractions, is a real pain.

Find a new job pronto. You have good experience. You should be able to find something more rewarding. You'll never get a good raise from this guy.
The only bad thing is that I am preparing for a move soon. I really wouldn't like to job hop and keep a job only for a a few months. I feel as if that's not right on my part... If I keep this job until I move, I'll have been at it for 6 months, which seems like a decent amount of time to me to put down as experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
yep I gotta say this guy is just an asshat and he takes his home life to work with him . bad practice to do . You will never get a raise because everything is your fault that goes wrong . Good luck and I hope you get an awesome new job .
The strangest part, is sometimes he shows a glimmer of being nice. He'll ask if the schedule he made was to your liking and if there's something he can do to accommodate you, but if there is any complication no matter how small throughout the day, he transforms. Then he'll have an attitude with you for the rest of the day because a customer complained about a wrong price (which WAS wrong.) According to him, there should be no mistakes because we just remodeled and everything should be accurate but it indeed was a mistake on our part. True story.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:20 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,548,795 times
I'd assume that there is pressure being put upon him to up sales after the remodel. He in turn is passing it along to everyone. See how he is after the quarterly sales have been tallied and whether the store missed or beat the goal.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:42 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
If you can handle his attitude for six months, then I suppose you should. Just don't use him for a reference!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships