Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 09:14 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Because that's not what platonic friends do only if you are romantically involved. I think it would be arkward for someone who is a platonic friend to be at my place alone. Only in public and over the phone.
Nonsense! Friends hang out anywhere and everywhere. You feel awkward being with a guy friend in private? Maybe you're just anti-social and don't like to be alone with people but everyone I know spends private time with friends - male or female. If you're ok with guys just not girls then that is prrof positive that are well aware of a sexual element.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 09:46 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Nonsense! Friends hang out anywhere and everywhere. You feel awkward being with a guy friend in private? Maybe you're just anti-social and don't like to be alone with people but everyone I know spends private time with friends - male or female. If you're ok with guys just not girls then that is prrof positive that are well aware of a sexual element.

No I don't feel awkward being with a guy in public because I know there is no chance of something sexual happening since I am straight. In her case, yes she is attractive but her personality is something that would drive me crazy in a relationship so 13 years ago we decided that friendship is best.

But the next time I talk to her I do plan to ask her why she hangs up so fast once she notices him pulling into the driveway. Especially since she knows we don't have any kind of sexual history

Old 09-09-2013, 10:02 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,730,092 times
Are you absolutely certain that your friend of 13 years has no potential to be anything more? See, this is why I couldn't live with a man. You move in, they start acting jealous and possessive as if...the two of you were married to each other or something, and you're not.

If the friendship has lasted 13 years, the woman is going to have to have a talk with her partner about the importance of this friendship to her in her life. She's just going to have to tell her partner her friendship with you is for good. All this quasi- "sneaking around telephone behavior might lead to an actual tryst without either of you meaning to. And the only reason it is being done is to keep the peace in the woman's home..and I'm assuming you're absolutely certain there is not an "emotional affair" or an sexual tension going on between you and your friend?

Old 09-09-2013, 10:46 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
Are you absolutely certain that your friend of 13 years has no potential to be anything more? See, this is why I couldn't live with a man. You move in, they start acting jealous and possessive as if...the two of you were married to each other or something, and you're not.

If the friendship has lasted 13 years, the woman is going to have to have a talk with her partner about the importance of this friendship to her in her life. She's just going to have to tell her partner her friendship with you is for good. All this quasi- "sneaking around telephone behavior might lead to an actual tryst without either of you meaning to. And the only reason it is being done is to keep the peace in the woman's home..and I'm assuming you're absolutely certain there is not an "emotional affair" or an sexual tension going on between you and your friend?

Nope not at all, we were really phone friends for most of those years because we only saw each other face to face in 2002, 2008. We would talk to each other on the phone everyday while we were at work and then call each other again when we arrived home and that went on for years. The only time we saw each other in public is when she took me to get a new TV in 2002 and then again in 2008 when we ran into each other in town. So basically it was a platonic friendship that involved very little face to face contact

Old 09-09-2013, 12:29 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Well when you are platonic friends with a woman, there is one main unwritten rule

"you never spend time alone at her place or your place"

You meet each other out in public to have a good time. There is no reason for a woman who is a platonic friend to be spending time at my apartment. NONE
Instead of having so many rules, why not seek help in resolving your impulse control issues? Most adults married or single, have no problem entertaining platonic friends at home.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:31 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:

But the next time I talk to her I do plan to ask her why she hangs up so fast once she notices him pulling into the driveway. Especially since she knows we don't have any kind of sexual history
Good idea...maybe insist that she introduces you...if she refuses, you'll know that she's playing some kind a game...if not with your heart...with his.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:18 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Good idea...maybe insist that she introduces you...if she refuses, you'll know that she's playing some kind a game...if not with your heart...with his.
But that doesn't make any sense at all in context. According to the OP, "The only time we saw each other in public is when she took me to get a new TV in 2002 and then again in 2008 when we ran into each other in town." So in 13 years, they've actually seen each other very briefly just twice, once in 2002 and then again six years later. The rest of the time they've chatted on the 'phone here and there about sports. I honestly don't get what all this drama is about and it seems completely one-sided. It doesn't even sound like a friendship when apparently they live in the same city.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:22 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The fact that you even need such a rule is proof that there is a sexual element there. You are treating her differently than you would a guy friend.
I suspect so. A true platonic friend is like a sibling or as cousin.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:20 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
But that doesn't make any sense at all in context. According to the OP, "The only time we saw each other in public is when she took me to get a new TV in 2002 and then again in 2008 when we ran into each other in town." So in 13 years, they've actually seen each other very briefly just twice, once in 2002 and then again six years later. The rest of the time they've chatted on the 'phone here and there about sports. I honestly don't get what all this drama is about and it seems completely one-sided. It doesn't even sound like a friendship when apparently they live in the same city.
You're right...it's not what I thought...maybe the "boyfriend" of this woman is jealous of their close platonic friendship?...some guys might not exactly enjoy knowing their gal has long conversations on the phone, and often, with another guy...platonic or not.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:48 PM

8 posts, read 15,601 times
I have two very close male friends. There's nothing romantic about either friendship, in fact one of them is old enough to be my father! I've known one for 22 years, the other for 16. My husband is fine with it, because he is a mature adult and trusts me and my judgement, as does the wife of one of my friends (the other is single). There is no reason people of the opposite sex can't be friends as long as there is trust, maturity and respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships