Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 09:32 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,893,771 times

Advertisements

I am normally a bubbly talkative person, outgoing and relaxed. But over the next week I am moving cross country, closing on a house...moving dogs, kids, house. I'm stressed. I'm quiet. I have a slight scowl on my face, you can see the tension. I'm a bit more short.

And it feels like everyone is telling me "don't stress", "relax", "everything is fine, don't be stressed". It's really annoying me. I am not running around screaming or acting totally like a b****. I'm just not my normal me. Why do people say that? Why can't they just freaking validate that this is stressful and I am holding together just fine.

Ugh. I'd be insane not to be stressed out. Who wouldn't be stressed?

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 10:10 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,977,625 times
"Why do people say that?"

They're saying they want you to be your usual self, the person they enjoy being around. It's a bit self-centered of them.

I have a friend like that. On the rare occasions I'm stressed, he glosses over it because he doesn't want to have to deal with it. "Relax!" It's so dismissive.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:27 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,210,990 times
"I know you mean well, but telling me not to stress out stresses me out."

That usually shuts them up.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:32 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,260,322 times
Just be sure that every time you get a room packed, or get those papers signed to do the happy dance. Swing your arms and legs and move around in circles. Each night that you stop on that cross country move (I assume you're driving) get out and do the happy dance. Get the dogs and kids to do it with you.

Repeat until the last box is unpacked in your new place. Then you can be yourself again.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:35 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,773,156 times
Of course, what you're doing is stressful! It's way high on the list of the most stressful and anxiety-ridden events of your whole life.

But the picture I received from what you said is that your friends and those around you are just trying to encourage and comfort you. It's hard for me to understand why their good intentions are annoying you so greatly.

Would it be helpful to you if you could decide to view their words & actions as their way of trying to help? You're obviously doing the very best you can and I'd venture to say, so are these people also doing the best they can to help you at this time.

I wish you peace and all good outcomes.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:36 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,415,808 times
Nice job High Flyer, shoot, who wouldn't be wigging out? no worries, soon, you can sit down on the floor and have a nice glass of grape juice surrounded by a dozen boxes, lol.

Good luck friend

Old 06-05-2015, 10:42 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,210,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Just be sure that every time you get a room packed, or get those papers signed to do the happy dance. Swing your arms and legs and move around in circles. Each night that you stop on that cross country move (I assume you're driving) get out and do the happy dance. Get the dogs and kids to do it with you.

Repeat until the last box is unpacked in your new place. Then you can be yourself again.
That's great! I'm moving half of a 1BR apartment in August (not taking a lot of stuff because it's very old and falling apart) and I think I'll join the happy dances.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:42 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,893,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Of course, what you're doing is stressful! It's way high on the list of the most stressful and anxiety-ridden events of your whole life.

But the picture I received from what you said is that your friends and those around you are just trying to encourage and comfort you. It's hard for me to understand why their good intentions are annoying you so greatly.

Would it be helpful to you if you could decide to view their words & actions as their way of trying to help? You're obviously doing the very best you can and I'd venture to say, so are these people also doing the best they can to help you at this time.

I wish you peace and all good outcomes.
Well I smile and say "Im trying" or "I know it will turn out ok" or things like that. I know they are not intending harm so I don't bite their head off. I just needed to vent. I do try really hard not to tell people what feelings they should or shouldn't have...but I have been in loads of therapy and know how to validate people. Not everyone has that skill...and invalidation is what they know to be helpful. I do get it, I just needed to vent a little.

And I appreciate the validation from people here. Moving, buying a house (with 0 back up plan), etc is really hard work...really a stressful time.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:50 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,912,366 times
I totally agree with you OP. I validate you and your right to just be stressed.

I hate when people say "don't stress." Sometimes we NEED stress to drive us through a situation in life.

The WORST thing to say to anyone stressed-out is "relax," followed by "calm down."
Some life situations call for temporarily NOT being relaxed and calm.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:08 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,791,139 times
Oh boy, I just did the cross country move twice in two years. I get what you're saying! It's very stressful, for sure.

I wish you the best with everything! Good luck and safe travels!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships