Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 05:49 AM

14 posts, read 24,035 times

Advertisements

I believe that as a person gets older, it will be harder for him or her to make new friends? what do anyone of you people think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 06:06 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
I make friends just as easily now as I did in my 20s.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:13 AM

30,545 posts, read 16,236,133 times
generally, I think yes.

no kids-in-school activities, no job related relationships. I think those are really the main ways younger adults make friends.

There's other ways and some people just make friends easily where ever/when ever.

also think it might be kind of an attitude thing too. A lot of people close their minds as they get old. If you want to make friends you have to open to different.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:18 AM

54 posts, read 135,137 times
I think it is more difficult just because it's difficult to keep the friendships you already have, so people in general don't pay attention to add people to their lifes.

I like to meet new people and make new friends but the truth is some people like to keep their circle tight and don't go beyond when they click with someone or, for example, like to keep the relations in its place: work, gym, etc.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:20 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,486,875 times
Yes. I recently relocated and I do not know anyone. It is pretty hard but I am hopeful that I will establish good friendships and a partner. I have been going to church and I see what I call familiar strangers. I guess that is a start. I will be starting school in the spring and looking for work. Hopefully, I will meet people then. I do plan to be very selective with my relationships. People can be very strange.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:38 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,374,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbara2013 View Post
I believe that as a person gets older, it will be harder for him or her to make new friends? what do anyone of you people think?
Getting-and keeping-new friends are not necessarily the same thing, as discussed in this Rels. thread:
Getting a relationship versus sustaining one

For me, it is harder to develop a social life in adulthood than it was when I was a child & teenager, while I was in school.
In school, socializing "just happened" due to proximity and enduring shared experiences (classes, etc.).
I no longer have that structure to enrich and nourish my interpersonal environment.

That's merely how it is for me, as an individual-
cannot say how representative it is of "older" persons as a demographic group, though.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:52 PM

256 posts, read 480,452 times
In my case, I am not necessarily looking for many new friendly relationships. As I get older and wiser, I realize that I don't have time for BS, I am not interested in empty relationships, thus, I am more choosy when forming new relationships.
Don't get me wrong, I am friendly and polite with people, just not interested in every single person being my friend (like people on FB with 700+ "friends", really? )
I learned to value true friendship and spend time and energy on people I really care about.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:37 PM

11,375 posts, read 9,289,994 times
This topic has been beaten to death.
I made posts on these threads fairly recently on how I feel:

People over 30: Do you make friends easily?

Do you stop making close friends after a certain age?

Which is harder, making friends, or keeping them?

Pretty much said the same thing in all 3 threads.

There are a bunch more on the same subject too.

Last edited by John13; 11-04-2013 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-04-2013, 03:22 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,612,604 times
I'm in my 30's and finding it extremely difficult to make friends I click with, find interesting and have manners! I can't seem to pinpoint what the heck is going on or how I need to change without completely lowering my standards.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:53 PM

37 posts, read 51,491 times
The older I get, the busier I get. I don't have time to do anything but work during the day and babysit grandkids at night. Weekends I clean the house. No time to socialize. It was much easier when I was younger and LESS busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships