Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 11:01 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,200,354 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't blame them. I haven't made a post in 2 years.

I have got those "Let me know if you still want to be my friend" messages before, I ignore them because I don't care. I'm only on FB for my kids and have never once sent a friend request. I will accept them if I get them but the last one I accepted had to wait 6 weeks for me to notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 12:14 PM

99 posts, read 190,025 times
I don't typically like being unfriended, I'll be honest, because it's usually someone I at least occasionally interact with. In those cases, I'll usually add them back as a friend. They almost always accept. It's my way of saying "caughtcha!"

That said, I've unfriended a lot of people myself, probably hundreds. I've been on Facebook for over 8 years now, so I've naturally accumulated a lot of people on there (mostly college classmates) who I don't interact with at all anymore. Basically, my rules of thumb for deletion are:
  • if you're on my friend list and don't have a profile anymore and will likely never reactivate it
  • if I have no idea who you are or how you got to be on my friend list
  • if I've never met you and will very likely never meet you
I have 1,285 friends right now, down from around 1,460 last month. I'd like to cull my list even more.

Back in the earlier days of Facebook, I used to accept every friend request and would myself add everyone I had ever talked to and some people I didn't know. That has definitely changed as I've gotten older: I have over 50 friend requests that I haven't accepted, I no longer friend people I have no connection to, and I've become very judicious and conservative when it comes to adding new people I know (I'll typically wait for them to add me or won't add them till I've gotten to know them for a long time).

I don't post my personal thoughts on Facebook much at all, either. I tend to reserve those more for Twitter or for myself.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:01 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,999,324 times
Personally, once I add someone...I don't generally remove them unless there's good reason (spamming from their profile, falling out of favor due to disagreements etc.)

Female friends seem more likely to randomly remove people from their profiles. I've noticed that a lot of girls, once they get married, make massive friends' list "alterations."

Old 11-17-2013, 04:04 PM

39,219 posts, read 27,589,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
When you notice that a friend has unfriended you from FaceBook, how do you feel about it?

When you see the person in real life afterward, would you still talk to them or just avoid them? I imagine that it must be awkward.

Feel free to share any anecdotes or PM me
drama queen

Old 11-19-2013, 03:33 AM

6 posts, read 8,579 times
I probably wouldnt notice. I find that I have alot of "friends" on FB that I hate... lol. I unfriended my family members because they were talking crap on my mother and I deleted them from my life. It felt good. Sort of therapuetic. If someone unfriended me on FB I would either get the hint and realize they are not worth the time, or think they were being infantile. I try to remain professional on FB so I do not have any controversy on my page.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:01 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,024,514 times
I'll admit that it stings a little but I never go and ask why or try to friend them again. I've had to unfriend people before due to them being extremely rude to me or people who were having conversations with me. I don't tolerate drama on my page.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:22 PM

784 posts, read 1,981,263 times
I just unfriended someone today and notified him that I am about to file a lawsuit against him because he has not paid me back money he borrowed from me over the summer. He kept giving me the run around, and then went out and bought a brand new Lexus. Other than that, I generally don't unfriend people. I occasionally have been unfriended. I am not hurt by it, but at the same time, I will not talk to the person ever again unless I necessarily have to.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:47 PM

570 posts, read 721,251 times
When I see them in person, I punch them in the face and let them know that facebook is serious business. Another thing I don't get is when you have mutual friends, and they delete you, but not them. I'm like really? Neither of us talk to her, but she drops me and keeps you? Whatever.

Last edited by Iced Coffee; 11-28-2013 at 12:12 AM..

Old 11-28-2013, 12:14 AM

25 posts, read 30,014 times
Most "friends" on Facebook aren't really friends in all honesty. Most of them are borderline acquaintances for me. And it has only ever happened with those so it doesn't really bother me.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:56 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,606,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
When you notice that a friend has unfriended you from FaceBook, how do you feel about it?
Probably a little bit offended because if it was someone who I didn't like all that much, I would've unfriended them first.

Quote:
When you see the person in real life afterward, would you still talk to them or just avoid them? I imagine that it must be awkward.
I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. Most of my FB friends are family (unfriending me wouldn't change the fact that we're still related), people I used to go to school with who I don't really talk to anyway, and coworkers who I understand might have reservations about being FB friends with other coworkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships