Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 09:49 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,820,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
But as someone else said, at all other times, you are free to drive the speed limit. Likewise, toddlers should not be in the front yard alone, ever. The parents should be supervising the kid or the kid should be in the back yard. The bottom line is that if a kid too young or stupid to know NOT to run out into the middle of the road without looking both ways, the kid shouldn't be in the front yard. Anything less is irresponsible parenting, period.

There is no need to be pedantic or split hairs.
About 6/7 years ago, there used to be a small child... maybe 4, who used to dart in front of cars when they drove by, then run back to the curb, making people jam on the brakes. Now, mind you, it's a narrow street with cars parked on both sides, so you're forced to slow down anyway in case another car is coming from the other direction. Well, this kid was standing between parked cars and darting out. The little *** did it to me twice. The 2nd time, I left my car in the street, walked up to her, and DEMANDED where in hell are your parents? Mummy THEN comes running out to see who's abusing her special snowflake. I tell her what the brat is doing, and she gets mad at me for talking to her brat. I made note of the their unit number and called police dispatch to make a report of what was going on. I don't know if anything came of that, but I never did see the brat after that. Now why in hell is mummy allowing her small child out in front alone???? And who taught the brat how to do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 09:58 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,455,039 times
I have read this ENTIRE thread.

If it were me who had been approached by this neighbour hood Nazi, My response would have been simple............... You may own a house on this street........but you don't OWN THE STREET. Its a public road. And by the way, what are you doing, obstructing a public road with "unauthorised traffic cones and signs ' ???

A reality lesson needs to be imparted to the Mother Snowflake.

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:24 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
About 6/7 years ago, there used to be a small child... maybe 4, who used to dart in front of cars when they drove by, then run back to the curb, making people jam on the brakes. Now, mind you, it's a narrow street with cars parked on both sides, so you're forced to slow down anyway in case another car is coming from the other direction. Well, this kid was standing between parked cars and darting out. The little *** did it to me twice. The 2nd time, I left my car in the street, walked up to her, and DEMANDED where in hell are your parents? Mummy THEN comes running out to see who's abusing her special snowflake. I tell her what the brat is doing, and she gets mad at me for talking to her brat. I made note of the their unit number and called police dispatch to make a report of what was going on. I don't know if anything came of that, but I never did see the brat after that. Now why in hell is mummy allowing her small child out in front alone???? And who taught the brat how to do that?
Bravo to you steelstress! You may have saved that child's life or saved him/her from serious injury. You are a hero in my eyes.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:27 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,820,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Bravo to you steelstress! You may have saved that child's life or saved him/her from serious injury. You are a hero in my eyes.
thanky ma'am! :::bows:::

Old 11-13-2013, 10:44 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,209,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
I think this plays into what Dissenter said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
My response would be in these words; "If you want me to drive no faster than 15 mph, here is the number to the Arlington County Government. You can petition them to change the speed limit on this street if you feel so strongly about it. I am sure they will be thrilled to hear of your illegal measures to control the speed limit on this street. In the meantime, I think your time could be spent more productively teaching your kid NOT to run out into the street, because even if I were to slow down you may have an out of towner who may not make that concession or know any other unofficial rule of this street other than the POSTED speed limit.

In the meantime, I will continue doing the 25mph I am legally allowed to because getting to my place as quickly as possible after work and class is important to me after driving through Washington DC area traffic. Thank you and have a nice day."
Yep. Major Mom will not be able to control every person who drives down the street and how quickly. A lot of people here are saying things like, "you don't be the one who hits a kid." Of course, no one does.

But it's a public street, with all kinds of people driving up and down, from visitors who do not know the lay of the land to teenagers who just got their licenses to old people who can barely see over the dashboard. What these Special Snowflake Mommies need to understand is that they cannot control the world to suit their desire to sit around watching soap operas or whatever Major Mom over there is doing in lieu of watching her child. If you are concerned about your kid's safety, you make sure your kid is in a safe environment--your own property or at a friend's house.

No way, no how, did my parents ever leave me unattended on the front lawn until I was old enough to understand that my domain stops at the curb, and I was responsible enough to stick with it. That puts me at about first second grade. Funny how the speed limit was, and remains, 30 MPH where I grew up, and how only one disobedient girl rode her bike out onto a main corner and got hit. Furthermore, I was not allowed to go down the block toward that corner until I was 10, and my father was one of several parents who petitioned the town for a four-way stop there because as much as he didn't like the neighborhood brats and bullies who hung out on it en masse--two families of which lived on that corner, including the family of the girl who got hit--he didn't want to see another kid get hit. Their own parents couldn't be arsed to do anything about it (which is why they were brats and bullies to begin with, lousy parents), but he and a few others got together and talked to the town about it.

And still, that did not keep the teenage boys from racing their mini-bikes and stuff up and down the street, or prevent the Keegan boys four doors down across the way from roaring through in their hot-rods. My parents were good friends with their mother, and even as united front, there was only so much the parents could do when those guys came through. They were 18-20 years old, and while they were not thugs, they were rebellious and they liked to show off. Tickets, police, none of it worked. Everyone was so happy when they moved out and got their own places. I laugh to think of what they would have done to Major Mom's road cones and signs. Probably would have made obstacle courses out of them or played street polo with them with bats and 10-speeds or BMX bikes.

And not for nothing, but you have to wonder about the smarts of parent who would leave a small kid outside unattended nowadays. I guess these Special Snowflake Mothers have never heard of Amber Alerts.

P.S. Dissenter, if this kind of thing drives you nuts, don't ever move to Loudoun. It's Special Snowflake Soccer Mom Hell, especially Ashburn.

Last edited by Lilac110; 11-13-2013 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: Can't forget Loudoun!

Old 11-13-2013, 11:52 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,059,991 times
Let's be real people, 25mph is not very fast...now if you were driving 40 in a 25 I could totally see nazi-moms knocking on a door, but to knock on doors because people are going 25mph in a 25mph speed zone and you can't keep your kids out of the street...you better believe I'm gonna sick my border collie on you.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:06 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,036,240 times
For those who haven't seen them, here is what we are talking about. BTW, to the irresponsible parents out there. A cul-de-sac is a place for vehicles to turn around. It is not a playground for your kids. Do not block it off with illegal signs and cones.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:09 PM

501 posts, read 933,830 times
The picture on the left is what is in my street, except that it's not off to the side. It's frequently in the center of the intersection.

Yes, you read that right. The person lives in a corner house and the "street" her kids play in is actually an intersection.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:15 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,118,086 times
While I haven't read all 9 pages of this thread, one thing seems to be misunderstood:

A speed limit is just that - it is the FASTEST you are supposed to go. AND, it comes with a qualifier: conditions permitting. So if you know there are children, that is a condition that qualifies the 25 mph. You need to adjust your speed accordingly.

Having said that, I do agree with those who've commented about the mother being more attentive to her small child. On the other hand, I do not ever want to be the person who hits a child. The guilt and recriminations I would heap upon myself would keep me from sleep for a long time. "I could have, should have, I knew....." Nope, living like that is not for me.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:34 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,209,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
For those who haven't seen them, here is what we are talking about. BTW, to the irresponsible parents out there. A cul-de-sac is a place for vehicles to turn around. It is not a playground for your kids. Do not block it off with illegal signs and cones.
The one on the left would have been headless in about 15 minutes when I was a kid. The boys down the block would have seen to it. The other one would have been placed over dogpiles so that when people got irate and came to claim them, they'd get a nice surprise. Whenever I see a sign like that, I think, "Slow children at play? Well, tell them to hurry up!"

Only county workers should have the ability to place things in the road. Anything else is a ticketable offense--or should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships