Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 11:24 AM

533 posts, read 1,112,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
As someone above said, look at the armed forces.

Of, if that doesn't interest you, you might need to go back to school and get a certificate of some sort that will help you land a job. The university in our town offers a certficate in accountancy to college grads that prepares them to take the CPA exam. A teaching certificate is also an option. Have you looked into that possibility?

What kind of jobs are you looking for?

When I got out of college I never moved back home, but there was a time when I lived with roommates and wrapped Christmas presents at a department store and later worked in the panty-hose department. You don't say what kind of job you have right now, but you may have to take a crap job while you're looking for something else.
I didn't see your post earlier! Anyway, I'm actually looking into accountancy certifications! Though I've never really thought about being an accountant/taking the CPA before, an accountancy certification could at least help me qualify for some positions that I couldn't right now.

The type of job I'm most interested in is working for a non profit organization (preferably related to education or health initiatives), but from what I've been reading it seems like most people have graduate degrees in public policy or non profit management because it's competitive. But I'm also open minded to other careers. I really didn't want to go to graduate school ($$$$) but if I don't find a "career" job within the next year and a half or so, that's what I'll probably do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 12:12 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post
Who said it was FREE room and board? Lol, I don't know ANY parents who give free room and board anymore.

Yeah, I'm complaining because I wanted to talk to others about how they cope with being an independent individual, providing for themselves, and then having to transition back to living at home where they are given less independence, and struggle with the fact that they no longer provide for themselves. I was proud of myself that I could take care of myself throughout college without relying on anyone else. Is that such a hard concept for people to understand?
Even if you pay your folks some amount of rent each month; they're still covering the majority of costs to maintain a home.

Once you move out (college or ??) and then try to boomerang back to mom and dad, it's never going to feel as though you have your freedom, just doesn't work that way.

You're not happy there; perhaps you may be happier if you just rent a room from strangers, that way you won't feel obligated to join in with them.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:45 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
The things I complain about when it comes to living at home (mom telling me when to clean my room/make my bed, making me eat at the same time as everyone else, etc.) are all small things in the grand scheme of life/the world -- I realize that. BUT it all definitely impacts me, it makes me feel like a loser or an idiot.
Some of the solutions to not feeling like a "loser or an idiot" are very obvious.

- Make your bed when you get up in the morning. Sheesh, how long would it take? Wouldn't that be less aggravation than having your Mom tell you to do it?

- Keep your room clean. Mom then won't tell you when to clean your room.

As far as eating with your family is concerned, that's just good manners. Any other adult living in the household would probably be expected to eat with the family as well, whether they were related or not, unless they were paying room and board. If you ever get married, do you really plan not to have meals with your spouse and children?

There's an old saying - if you can't change your situation, you can always change your attitude.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:53 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Who said it was FREE room and board? Lol, I don't know ANY parents who give free room and board anymore.

Yeah, I'm complaining because I wanted to talk to others about how they cope with being an independent individual, providing for themselves, and then having to transition back to living at home where they are given less independence, and struggle with the fact that they no longer provide for themselves. I was proud of myself that I could take care of myself throughout college without relying on anyone else. Is that such a hard concept for people to understand?
Yeah. I wouldn't live in someone else's house if I didn't agree with their rules. It's their house after all, I would live in a cheap place of my own and not complain about my parents.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:31 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
Start by being thankful that you have a place to eat and sleep. My parents? Yeah, they would never let me live in their homes, and that's all the incentive I would ever need to keep a roof over my head and money in my pockets.

Make a plan to get your own place, find a job....anything! Otherwise, that depression will turn into lethargy and you'll be sitting around complaining. Get moving!

Old 11-18-2013, 02:44 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Tuition + a book allowance, and my first year it covered a percentage of my dorm and gave me a food allowance that could only be used at the dining halls. But after my first year it was just tuition + book allowance.

I worked and saved $ from the time I was 16 so I had some savings and continued working and budgeting throughout college. At one point I got lucky and landed a 6 month data entry job that paid $1,800/month, unfortunately it was really time consuming so that was also the semester that I failed a class and had to retake it and pay for it out of pocket. But it allowed me to save up quite a bit so I could have a cushion for the times when I was working part time for $8-10/hour.

It really wasn't too bad of a set up. I paid about $450/month for rent + utilities and kept my grocery budget pretty low. I never bought cable, only internet and that was only $40/month. I lived so close to campus, it was probably about a 30 minute walk, and I cycled most other places.
Based on your successful self reliance so far, I wouldn't worry. You will find work in time. Graduates in many fields are facing the same thing you are, but you sound more mature than many young adults.

One of my son's roommates has to adhere to a strict curfew when he comes home for breaks, and the result is, he rarely makes the trip home. Nice, kid, nice family, but they treat him like he's still in high school instead of a college senior.

I don't expect either of my two that are graduating this upcoming May to return home, one is staying at school to do a year of research, and the other is working a paid internship now that hopefully will continue into a permanent position. But, if they did, I would back off and let them figure it out on their own.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:53 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Quote:
Degree: Economics
Years of experience: 5 years part time + unpaid internship
I just did a simple search for entry level economics jobs online in about 2 minutes and found 5000 jobs that matched the entry level category for economics backgrounds...thats more then there is for my own career and ive been nothing but successful in getting work. If you pigeon hole yourself to a specific area or location then yes it becomes ten times harder to find employment. you have to meet people regardless, networking is very important.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:23 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times
Yet another OP comes to city-data, complains about something and gets mad when he/she doesn't get the desired response.

People are giving you good advice here and you really shouldn't blame the economy. I graduated in May in journalism and got a job three months later. Was it easy? No!! I searched all day, almost every day and barely got interviews. But I managed to get a job. Sure, luck had something to do with it, but persistence is what got me the job. My boss said so herself.

It does suck to live at home again but if you view it as temporary, things get better. And make sure it is only temporary. Work really hard at getting that job, whether it's in accountancy or something else.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:17 PM

533 posts, read 1,112,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Yet another OP comes to city-data, complains about something and gets mad when he/she doesn't get the desired response.
If you actually read and comprehended the posts, you would understand that I was complaining about the people who were posting about the economy - which is irrelevant to the question I asked in the very first post. The question was something along the lines of "How do you cope with moving back home after being independent for so long?"

Have I argued with any of the other posts that were relevant to the question?

"Yet another poster comes to city-data, doesn't read the entirety of the thread and posts something irrelevant after not comprehending the original question."

Old 11-18-2013, 09:01 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,317 times
Quote:
Degree: Economics
Years of experience: 5 years part time + unpaid internship

If you legitimately think that blaming the government/economy is a cop out then you need a slap in the face with a reality stick.

I don't know how old you are, but if you're a recent college grad you should already be aware of how entry level jobs practically don't exist anymore.

Yeah, my life is my own that I made choices in, but I see and meet people from all walks of life who are now unemployed. It's not just me. Now that I think of it, the only people I know with secure jobs are people in their 30s.

I guess you probably believe everything the media says about the economy getting better, and that 300000000 jobs were created, like, yesterday or something. But the facts of the matter are that the job market is not getting better for people with less than 2 years of full time, professional experience. Even BSN's aren't finding jobs now like they used to. Also, I know more STEM majors from college who are teachers than who work in the STEM fields. Is some of that based upon their life choices? Yeah. But a lot of it also has to do with the economy today and outsourcing and many other factors.

People who say the things you do really irk me. Oh yeah, it's totally my fault, the 13% unemployment rate/36% underemployment rate for college graduates has nothing to do with what goes on in DC or a corporation's headquarters... Ok... lol.
Wow.. that is not the right attitude.

I lived in a major city (Chicago) and spent a year unemployed with the exception of one minimum-wage internship. I finally had enough and moved to another state which had better job prospects and have been gainfully employed ever since (couple years now). I'm also a recent grad, however, I didn't let myself get bitter about the situation - I just changed mine until it worked.

I know you have another thread going about moving to another city. If the employment situation is rosier there, I wholly recommend it. Set your sails!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships