Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 09:33 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,698,521 times

Advertisements

First and foremost, I don't own the street and it's legal to park anywhere you like but this is just an annoyance if anything. My neighbor directly across the street from me parks his farm truck and trailer in front of my house. It doesn't block my driveway (barely) but it's an ugly hunk of junk and I hate it ruining the look of my property as it looks like it belongs to me by it being parked in front of my house. He always parks it there. It's never in front of his house. Now he may or may not park his personal vehicle in front of his house but he doesn't park his truck anywhere else. I've been living here for a while and he didn't have the truck but it came back I assume to his possession and he move it in front of my house where it has been ever since. It's usually gone every weekend and it comes back during the week.

I put one of my cars in front of my house and just let it sit for a month. He came to my door saying that he will call the police because it never moves at all. He called the police and the officer advised me to drive it every once in a while or at least move it to another spot. Just to confirm the car's mobility and to keep the tags up to date (they already were but he just wanted me to know). I moved it from the spot to the driveway and then he parks his truck. It has gotten quite silly. I don't want that god-awful thing in front of my house. I plan on buying another car on the cheap solely to switch with my other car to claim the spot.

This issue probably stems from the fact I never got along with them. When we moved in, his wife came over and offered some pie as a welcome gift which I did not eat. My girlfriend who accepted it thanked her but then they wanted to meet me but she thankfully told them I was busy. Over time, they have invited us over to the house and we never took them up on the offer. This guy who also rides sportbikes wanted to invite me to ride with his buddies (yet he asked me while I was sitting under a car preoccupied so I gave him a short answer).

My girlfriend says hello if they are out of the house as well as I'm the polar opposite. I don't say anything and I go to my house or to wherever with a purpose. They have never formerly met me as I was never around or was unavailable so I bet they have a negative opinion of me. They are very "friendly" and try to reach out to everyone which isn't my style as I'm a reserved person so I avoid them. Which probably has given more reason for him to do this. I can conveniently park my car on the driveway and I don't need to use that spot (unlike his truck which can only be parked on the street).

Am I wrong for claiming it by parking a car there at all times? I'm sick of him and I don't like him (I bet the feeling is mutual).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 09:59 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,820,456 times
It's public. No, you're not wrong. If the space is there, use it.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:17 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,484,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post

Am I wrong for claiming it by parking a car there at all times? I'm sick of him and I don't like him (I bet the feeling is mutual).
No. But, next time when you move your car, just move it a few feet forwards and then a few days later move it backwards. Take photos of your car with an obvious reference point to prove it was moved.

[this could get tedious]

Old 11-15-2013, 10:20 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,679,388 times
I wouldn't want a piece of junk truck sitting in front of my house all the time either. I'd probably do the same thing you're doing, park my car there first. I wish you well with this one.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:22 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
I agree it would be annoying and I think he is a jerk for doing that.

However, you caused some of this. Would it have killed you to come to the door and introduce yourself?

Or wave if you're outside? You see, you can be friendly without being friends.

I totally understand not wanting to socialize and get chummy, what I don't get is not taking a few minutes to just introduce yourself and say hello or wave when you're both outside.

I really think if you handled this differently from the start you wouldn't be having this issue now.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:37 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,247,519 times
Ever time he parks there let the air out of his tires....At least two of them at a time...And to honest if it was me I'd do more the tires!

Old 11-16-2013, 09:09 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,197,348 times
Is there nothing you can do? It's not necessarily true. Is the truck that sits on the street a vehicle used for business and has the company name on it? I do believe this is a city to city issue, but I would make it known to the city administrator or the Mayor. There are building laws and hours contractor can work on your home, leaving their pop up camper sit there without moving and leaving a vehicle to sit and became a used car lot for part. Sorry next door neighbor! Make a list of issues and call city hall.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:13 AM

9,109 posts, read 6,329,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Ever time he parks there let the air out of his tires....At least two of them at a time...And to honest if it was me I'd do more the tires!
Vandalism is inappropriate and illegal as the road is public. That being said, if someone was leaving the vehicle on private land without permission, then vandalize away.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:16 AM

9,109 posts, read 6,329,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
First and foremost, I don't own the street and it's legal to park anywhere you like but this is just an annoyance if anything. My neighbor directly across the street from me parks his farm truck and trailer in front of my house.....
Farm truck and trailer indicate rural environment. Is your location urban, suburban or farming country?

Old 11-16-2013, 09:25 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,037,940 times
I wonder if the neighbor parks his car where he does because that is the direction he is entering the neighborhood? Would he have to do a U-turn to get his truck in front of his house?

I don't think you are going to get a ticket for parking in front of your own house. Obviously there are laws about moving your car, but your protest will be that the car is not abandoned. It's your car and you know where it is. Most people park on the street in front of their house as long as they want and there isn't a problem until your jerk neighbor decides to make an issue out of it and call the police just because he wants to park in front of your house.

I agree that vandalism is not a good way to go but if he ups the ante by reporting your new second car then you have the choice to ignore or retaliate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships